Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What happened to Voynov - checked his hockey database - he didn’t play in 2018-2019 and is not playing this year. He did play last year 2019-2020.

Seems like he's keeping his options open for now. Voynov, Nikita Nesterov, and Nikita Scherbak didn't sign in the KHL yet.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I'd consider trading #2 OA. We need goalscorers. The only hangup would be those extra elc years before a bigger contract. It's hard to give those away with a salary cap.

That's exactly why I wouldn't do it, unless they were gonna try to sell-off all of the assets to overhaul the roster overnight, it doesn't make sense to move multiple ELCs for a guy you're going to have to pay $10M+ next year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It’s funny tho ... Quick and Carter actually may be the most tradable assets we have, not by virtue or merit of their game, but the back-sliding contracts that pay way less than the AAV.

Let’s face it, we paid Lewis $2M per season and we got Carter for two more years at the same payroll and at ~ 20 goals he is still just fine on the wing.

The Kings are now a team that likes the back sliding contracts. Well, most teams are these days. But no, Quick and Carter are not tradeable assets. Not for anything anyway. Maybe Carter more than Quick, with maybe a greater likelihood that Carter is maybe on LTIR, but there's no indication that Quick isn't planning on being in a jersey every night(outside of his usual potential for injury). Any team with him has 3 years to account for. That's a lot for an aging goalie, who may not even be a #1 anymore.

I doubt either guy goes anywhere, especially soon.

Edmonton really threw away 2nd round picks for 13 games and now he is headed to free agency.

Don't know too much about him, but I do know he is 26 and had 30 goals a season ago. Anyone know much about him? Would he fit in LA?

Edmonton has to to whatever they have to do on a year to year basis to make McDavid happy. If they have to throw picks away for a chance in the current season, that's what must be done. McDavid will already be 24 in Jan. They're wasting his best years with barely any playoff games.

I can't see why Blake wouldn't use the cap space leverage to take on some money to get assets that can then either be used in trade. It's all about what's out there. Making some moves that won't wreck them longterm can help facilitate the build.

They didn't want Marleau without Carter going back, so whether it's Blake, or someone above him, I'm not sure they're interested in the take a bad contract for additional assets market.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Not this years pick, to much upside to trade for a guy the Kings are going to have to pay, who while insanely talented has some risk associated with him. How about Turcotte, our 2nd this year, and our 1st next year?

that seems like a lot to give up for Laine? I like the guy but I would not include next years 1st.

Turcotte, Clague and a 2nd is as high as I would go. The guy plays the least important position in hockey, will be making $10 million a year, and I still have not seen him put it all together yet. Not that I don’t think he will in the future but we are still buying a bit of an unproven product even after this many years in the league.

Problem is this team needs so much help up front I would just rather start building the back end out first. I still believe that that philosophy is good.

I look at our forwards and we are missing a third line center, at least two top 6 Wingers, possibly a second line center if Vilardi’s health or production fails.

We do find ourselves pushed up against the upper end of the contract limits so I do agree we should start targeting players where we may have to move a couple of our prospect for a single player in hopes of upgrading our roster. I just don’t know if this year is the time to go out and get a guy like Laine.

Reactions: cyclones22

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not this years pick, to much upside to trade for a guy the Kings are going to have to pay, who while insanely talented has some risk associated with him. How about Turcotte, our 2nd this year, and our 1st next year?

Honestly, that's a fair price for him, would likely grab their attention. He's a player you have to consider carefully, not sure if LA is ready to make that move yet though. Would be a tough one for Blake though...

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I wouldn't do that trade in a million years.

A 1st + 2nd + top prospect is reasonable for a star 40 goal winger in his prime and under RFA status... If someone approached us for a 22-year-old Kopitar I'd be expecting a similar package, maybe more... I agree I wouldn't do it either, but players like Laine aren't offered up that often.

You never know, it goes both ways, you can become too fixated on futures rather than what you have and one in the hand is greater than two in the bush. The main drawback with Laine is after next year, you're looking at trying to keep his salary at $10 million or less, which is insane. We would be one year away from adding a third player on our roster at that pay range.

That's the main reason I would stick with the rebuild, but who knows what is being discussed on the trade block...

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I don't blame anyone for jumping at the opportunity, guys like Laine are almost never available and he's only 22 years old. But I do feel the timing is wrong for this type of deal. Gotta be patient and stick with the rebuild for now unless it's an absolute robbery of a trade (which Turcotte+Clague+2nd would be, don't kid yourselves).

Reactions: KINGS17

Token

May 15, 2019
There are only two top-ranked players in the NHL I wouldn’t sign even if given away to us for free.

Willy Nylander and Patt Laine.

The two entitled whinny little bitches of hockey, holding out and crying into their silver spoons.

Here is a reminder on what peeved the Finn:

“Restricted free agent Patrik Laine is once again stating his holdout from signing a new contract with the Winnipeg Jets isn't all about money. In a new interview with a Finnish media outlet, Laine makes it clear he wants top line minutes along side Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifele.

"When you're having contract negotiations, one thing always is who are you playing with. With the merits I have, somewhere else I'd have an opportunity to play with the best players. Everybody who understands hockey knows that," Laine told Finnish sports reporter Pekka Jalonen.

Laine seems to be unhappy with the linemates he's been given over the last three year. The article states he's spent a lot of time with Bryan Little, who has assisted on just 11 of Laine's 110 goals.

"There are top lines and then there is our line. But I play with the guys I'm told to play," Laine added.”

Awwww, poor baby.

His QO will be $7.5M - no thanks.

Jets drafted him, Jets ruined him, Jets can keep him.

Besides, he reminds me way to much of Kovalchuk. Yeah, scores goals but is a minus player.

Reactions: go4hockey

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
We are not only 1 or 2 players away from being a contender even if all our prospects hit their ceilings; and that won’t happen. That’s when we should be making big moves.

We won’t know where the holes will be in the roster for a while yet, we need to let the players develop. Then when we are ready to make a big move we do it.

I am also not sure about Laine’s character. There has been the odd piece in the press over the years that makes me question if he the sort of personality we normally go for. My concerns may be unfounded but I’m just uneasy about the team fit, beyond the timing simply being wrong.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
that seems like a lot to give up for Laine? I like the guy but I would not include next years 1st.

Turcotte, Clague and a 2nd is as high as I would go.

The only thing of value there is Turcotte.

Laine averages 37 goals per 82 games. Critique him for what he doesn't do or how he doesn't fit all day long, but you couldn't even get in on the game with that offer. That's one of the problems for any trade idea with the Kings; they just don't have a lot to give up in return. The few real assets they have are all the would-be building blocks of the future.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
The only thing of value there is Turcotte.

Laine averages 37 goals per 82 games. Critique him for what he doesn't do or how he doesn't fit all day long, but you couldn't even get in on the game with that offer. That's one of the problems for any trade idea with the Kings; they just don't have a lot to give up in return. The few real assets they have are all the would-be building blocks of the future.

Completely Agree and that is why I said that’s my offer. If they take it then I am surprised but not devestated by what we lost so I can make more complimentary moves to properly fill out our roster. If I hit our system to that extent it’s going to be in another year once we see how our young ones are doing for a hole we definitely need to fill.

the only hole I fill this year is to find a partner for Drew to stabilize our back end. If a gift horse like Sergachev is available I put up assets for him or I look for a vet with a few years left and a team trying to make cap space. Unfortunately their market is starting to dwindle with Edmundson signed, Hjalmarrson won’t accept a trade, and I can’t remember the other guy who had us on a no trade list last week.

I will leave this caveat: if Blake grabs Laine I will still be super stocked even if I don’t think the timing is right. Guys gonna be a stud.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Laine is appealing because he’s an elite goal-scorer right now, and he is only 22 which means he is able to be a part in helping Kopitar and Doughty get another kick at it but he’s also young enough where he is a key piece in the youth movement. Getting an elite winger for Kopitar now and Byfield/Stufzle/Vilardi/Turcotte or whoever the 1C ends up being would be smart of Blake.

Reactions: funky

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015

Just for ease of rounding, call it $930 million on a 31 team NHL. Half that is the players loss. That's effectively $15ish million on the cap per team which is ballparking 20% on the $81.5 million cap.

if not for escrow, the cap should be around $65 million. That completely explains the 20% escrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->