Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

May 15, 2019
what does this mean exactly? they can start having organized team workouts?
Let me add more color commentary to what others said.

It is a ridiculous legal document that sets some serious restrictions on facility use and operation.

Anything and everything must be no-contact, except medical treatments that are exempt.

Ice occupancy is 12 but explicitly no contact.

Gym occupancy is 6 or less again, no contact, no spotters.

Unlike guidance from the CDC or NIH, this reads like the CBA on steroids and feels like a document who’s purpose is to protect the NHL from liability.

So, it sounds like a bunch of guys skating in circles a dozen feet apart.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think Chara is pretty much done. He’s a physical specimen, but the speed of today’s game is too much for him.
But, what a career!!
I agree. I’ve done a bit more reading and since the COVID break in particular he’s not looked good. He’d be the new whipping boy. Would be great in many ways but his play isn’t up to it... bad idea.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Let me add more color commentary to what others said.

It is a ridiculous legal document that sets some serious restrictions on facility use and operation.

Anything and everything must be no-contact, except medical treatments that are exempt.

Ice occupancy is 12 but explicitly no contact.

Gym occupancy is 6 or less again, no contact, no spotters.

Unlike guidance from the CDC or NIH, this reads like the CBA on steroids and feels like a document who’s purpose is to protect the NHL from liability.

So, it sounds like a bunch of guys skating in circles a dozen feet apart.

I imagine they'll have to revise those like they've revised almost everything else in the last month or two.

That's stuff from like April which was when everything was as strict as possible, no?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Teams can assume on-ice training with limited capacity of no more than 12 people on the ice at once, and workouts must follow social distancing guidelines, and the players will still have to go through extensive testing before and after using a training facility.

These are also voluntary, as training camp dates have not been established yet.
The 12 player limit is also a California restriction which is also being imposed on California college football practices. How teams are supposed to play games in California in "cohorts" (Newsom's words) of no more than 12 players, no one has explained.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He is nearing the end, it is either earn money or win now. He wouldn't accomplish either in LA. He would be used as a youth trainer and he would be taxed out the wazoo...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So Goligoski has L.A. on his no trade list. Newsflash - the Kings wouldnt want him.

Limited NTCs can be an interesting mix of "hard no" and "my mind could be changed if you signed me to an immediate extension." We saw last summer that Justin Faulk had Anaheim on his partial NTC but his agent negotiated an extension with them that didn't come to fruition, so Faulk blocked the trade and he was dealt to St. Louis. Blake already publicly said they'll be looking to add a veteran LHD to the mix, so I could imagine Goligoski/his agent figuring them as a possible landing spot. As an exercise, listing out the teams into three buckets and bolded Goligoski's 8 team NTC:

Unlikely (limited cap space and/or LD not a priority)
--------------------------------------
Anaheim|Vegas|St. Louis|Tampa|Toronto
Columbus|Carolina|Chicago|Philadephia|Nashville
NY Islanders|Montreal|Edmonton|Minnesota|San Jose
Vancouver|Colorado|Pittsburgh

Maybe (some cap space plus need for LD)
-----------------------------------------
Washington|Boston|NY Rangers|Dallas|Winnipeg
Calgary
|Buffalo

Probably (cap space plus need for LD)
------------------------------------------------
Los Angeles|New Jersey|Detroit|Ottawa|Florida

Unfortunately the article on Goligoski is behind a paywall, so I'm not sure if the author elaborated on Goligoski's mindset. Since he's 35 with a couple young kids, I could imagine that he's not thrilled with the idea of moving twice in a year in this current climate. We saw recently that Eric Staal used his limited NTC to list teams that he thought would want to trade for him rather teams he wanted to avoid, since his intention was to stay in Minnesota where he was building (already built?) his retirement home. He and his agent miscalculated and didn't list Buffalo since they didn't think they'd be interested.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Token

May 15, 2019
I imagine they'll have to revise those like they've revised almost everything else in the last month or two.

That's stuff from like April which was when everything was as strict as possible, no?
I doubt it. This is the same as the regulations for the phase 2 run-up to the playoffs.

When they get to actual training camp they just reuse the phase 3 legal document.

Still better than players having to find random ice to rent like they do in most offseasons.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Didn’t he buy three houses next to each other and was going to tear down and build a mansion?

Maybe he changed his mind and is now selling one.
He did, but his agent forgot to tell him about that damn 50/50 split and escrow, then COVID hit and NHL revenue fell off a cliff.

Reactions: Token

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Wouldn't "no spotters" at a gym be a safety concern for free weights?

I'd guess that for the majority of the movements they're training they're at a level where they know how to safely bail out rather than needing a spotter. Power cleans, back squats, deadlifts, etc. can all be dropped if you have a platform and quality equipment which they most certainly have access to.

Barbell bench press is really the only main compound lift that requires a spotter and it's not a great transferrable/functional strength area for hockey players anyways (i.e. you can train that type of strength more efficiently in different ways). I am a bit biased there coming from an Olympic weightlifting background, but I'd say for what I do know around sports training that baseball and football are the sports that still use bench the most.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
If this is happening to the Sens, could the Kings also be getting called about their 2nd round picks?

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
We'll never know since almost no one reports on the Kings.

thats not entirely true. On a daily basis I get told by Ottawa fans who we are going to draft and why.

Toronto fans tell me Doughty sucks and Fans from many teams told me it was a mistake signing Walker to that expensive of contract because “they” have never heard of him.

I get Kings news daily.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
thats not entirely true. On a daily basis I get told by Ottawa fans who we are going to draft and why.

Toronto fans tell me Doughty sucks and Fans from many teams told me it was a mistake signing Walker to that expensive of contract because “they” have never heard of him.

I get Kings news daily.
Don't forget that Brown is terrible and the only reason we still play him is because we are the dirtiest team in the division

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I get Kings news daily.

30 likes on the third comment in the Sean Walker contract thread should tell you everything: "Literally never heard this dude's name even once and now he's making 2.65M per year. "

This is why when people say anything pretending to be knowledgeable about LA I see red.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Included. Without them, the ducks have $470,001 in cap space with a roster size of 21.

Crazy. They have 13 mil tied up in Kessler and Perry, and both aren't playing for them at the moment. They'll probably put Kessler on LTIR to get some back. Perry's buyout isn't going away.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
30 likes on the third comment in the Sean Walker contract thread should tell you everything: "Literally never heard this dude's name even once and now he's making 2.65M per year. "

This is why when people say anything pretending to be knowledgeable about LA I see red.

I smack my forehead.

Reactions: LAKings88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad