Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Curious as to why some are so sure the veterans here are good leaders. This same group quit on Sutter and Stevens and never bothered showing up for Desjardins. They have won one playoff game since 2014, and even then some of them NEEDED veteran leadership from the outside to succeed. Their "leadership" value seems to be massively overstated and just assumed as a combination of age and the fact that they had played on a championship level team. Carter is the only one of the "veteran core" that has even won a playoff series on a team that didn't feature Richards and Mitchell or coached by Darryl Sutter.

If anything, there is a glaring lack of leadership and character coming from those former top players. I am not so sure it is a good idea to have them playing out the string of their careers while impressionable kids are working their way in. Nostalgia aside, there is just no value there other than wishful thinking.

The realistic alternative being what?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Well, makes sense it's Berlin since AEG owns that team. Leveraging that ownership umbrella. Shows how serious the Kings are about the development of the youngsters. They don't want them idle during this strange time. Weight room training is good of course, but any time they can spend among other hockey players on the ice in a controlled environment is a plus.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Absolutely brilliant decision to send these guys to Germany. Apparently it pays off owning a team in Europe. But now all we're going to hear is "StUtZlE tO La ConfIRMed!!!!!!"

Yeah I recommend not going on Twitter :laugh:

Would be interesting if they were actually playing games but they don't start till November and it appears to be training only. Though someone did mention one of the exhibitions is Oct 6th? Would be interesting if they played...

Reactions: Telos

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
After Amsterdam, Berlin is my second favorite place I’ve ever visited. I’d love to get over there to watch the young guns light it up. But with the pandemic, that’s probably not going to be possible.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Absolutely brilliant decision to send these guys to Germany. Apparently it pays off owning a team in Europe. But now all we're going to hear is "StUtZlE tO La ConfIRMed!!!!!!"
I would say Byfield to Berlin confirmed, but he is going back to Canadian junior hockey for next season.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Does anyone know the rules about loaning players to Sweden, Finland or Germany? Are there age limits? Number of games played in NHL/AHL?
With the latest group heading to Berlin, I’m wondering if more teams are going to go down that route.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Tooooooooo late...

This is why I absolutely loathe Leafs fans:

Just listened to Thomas talking about going out to the DEL on his podcast, he should be there by now. He seems really pumped for it and very focused on making the most of playing out there. It is a great opportunity to get these guys skating and working on their development. There will be a good opportunity to work on their intangibles also as imports are usually expected to be leaders on the team if they stay long enough to get into competitive games.

Reactions: Steve Zissou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->