Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Re-posting Reapers line up but taking Bjornfot out. Think the Kings make another move at that spot.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Frk-Vilardi-Grundstrom
Kempe-Lizotte-Wagner
Moore-Amadio/JAD-Luff

UFA/trade-Doughty
Anderson-Walker
MacDermid-Roy
Clague

Quick
Peterson

I'm willing to bet that Kempe resumes his spot next to Vilardi and Frk.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Vilardi - Frk
Wagner - Lizotte - Grundstrom
Moore - JAD - Luff

We likely have a couple guys like Eyssimont and Rempal trying to make one last impact too. I really hope the Kings move on from Amadio though, he's just not worth the roster spot.

Reactions: jfont and Reaper45

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Got me all pumped up. Even if it's just reliving the last six(!) months in fast forward.

"there's something to be said about the special feeling that you guys are part of something that is just starting"

from like 6:35 on, man. excited about the future.

also lol mark masters is Jonah Hill, prove me wrong

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I’ve been thinking about trades that could make sense on draft day. Here’s a thought: Kupari to Florida for the 12th overall pick. I would imagine that either the Kings need to add a piece or Florida needs to send back an undesirable contract, but if Askarov or one of the defenders is there at 12, I’d make that trade.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I think what says a lot about Lewis was when Sutter came in he tried Lewis on the top line and then made him a main stay on the 3rd line and penalty kill.

As we have learned recently (more than ever) how tough Sutter was on players, if liked Lewis then Trevor was doing something right.

Reactions: kilowatt

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Great career as a King but age has caught up with him. He was a speedy bottom 6 but the last few years hes lost that extra step

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Lewis was on SiriusXM’s NHL radio yesterday afternoon with DB in crew. The guy just seems so grounded and so professional. DB raved about what a good guy he always has been and how accessible he is to the media. How polite and professional he is.

They talked about his time in LA, the cups, a few of his goals and Lewis talked about how he and his wife know they’re gonna have to move to pursue his career and that she is willing to do that. Sometimes a person forgets that there’s kids involved as well. Paragraph he’s just a classy guy.

The hosts will start laughing as soon after the interview was done they both got text from him thanking them for having him on their show. They said that’s just typical Trevor Lewis.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I'm willing to bet that Kempe resumes his spot next to Vilardi and Frk.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Vilardi - Frk
Wagner - Lizotte - Grundstrom
Moore - JAD - Luff

We likely have a couple guys like Eyssimont and Rempal trying to make one last impact too. I really hope the Kings move on from Amadio though, he's just not worth the roster spot.

Your missing Carter.

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Kempe--Vilardi--Frk
Grundstrum--JAD--Carter
Wagner--Lizotte--Moore
Amadio, Luff

UFA--Doughty
Anderson--Roy
Clague--Walker
McDermid

I still see this offseason as one that will be crazy. So many players that we won't think could be moved will be moved. The flat cap will make teams make outrageous moves this offseason because of cap space.

Tampa is going to be moving so many guys it's gonna be like the 2010 Blackhawks. I think LA will pick up at least 2 guys that we won't except (not from Tampa just overall). I hope for Sergachev but know that won't happen.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Token

May 15, 2019
I’ve been thinking about trades that could make sense on draft day. Here’s a thought: Kupari to Florida for the 12th overall pick. I would imagine that either the Kings need to add a piece or Florida needs to send back an undesirable contract, but if Askarov or one of the defenders is there at 12, I’d make that trade.
That might be tempting for the Panthers.

Would reunite Heponiemi and Kupari. They tore it up as a line in Finland.

Reactions: kilowatt

Token

May 15, 2019
I don't think Kupari's stock would be that high right now. Would you do it from their side? I wouldn't.
If we add a 2nd rounder in there it could work.

Equivalent of jumping up from 20 to 13 with a prospect that is advanced enough to get some looks next season.

Remember that allot of NHL “experts” are much higher on Kupari and his toolset than Kings fans.

We sometimes as fans get myopic on the newer shinier toys. ;)

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I can’t remember if it was Frk or Luff but on Kings of the Podcast their dark horse pick to make the Kings this year was Kupari.

The kid does have skills. Hopefully the knee injury doesn’t set him back. We really don’t have anybody like him in our system.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I can’t remember if it was Frk or Luff but on Kings of the Podcast their dark horse pick to make the Kings this year was Kupari.

The kid does have skills. Hopefully the knee injury doesn’t set him back. We really don’t have anybody like him in our system.

I know I'm lower on him than most but his biggest asset is skating--and even youngsters that have knee issues take a year to get back to relative normal. It's a bummer because he was starting to put it together leading up to the WJC...hopefully this time off is great.

I have no doubt he has the skill, though. I'm sure he'll get at least a cup of coffee and I like him a lot more now as he's a complementary prospect rather than the big guy. I don't see why he can't be at least a middle six winger. But I certainly wouldn't trade the 12th overall pick for a guy coming off a season-ending injury who hasn't done anything to really improve his stock. But from a Kings perspective the idea of him and a sweetener for a crack at a higher-end talent or even Askarov is great

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Your missing Carter.

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Kempe--Vilardi--Frk
Grundstrum--JAD--Carter
Wagner--Lizotte--Moore
Amadio, Luff

UFA--Doughty
Anderson--Roy
Clague--Walker
McDermid

I still see this offseason as one that will be crazy. So many players that we won't think could be moved will be moved. The flat cap will make teams make outrageous moves this offseason because of cap space.

Tampa is going to be moving so many guys it's gonna be like the 2010 Blackhawks. I think LA will pick up at least 2 guys that we won't except (not from Tampa just overall). I hope for Sergachev but know that won't happen.
He's probably not going to be 100% by the start of the season.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I've defended Lewis on here a ton of times, but he actually might not find a home. Couldn't give him away at the trade deadline.

If he has a next stop, it will probably be similar to an Ethan Moreau/Trent Hunter with the Kings experience. Or Stoll after he left?

Giving up an asset, even a 7th rounder, for hopefully a couple months of work, is different than signing a guy on the cheap for 1 year.

It will certainly be the play I always associate him along with the 3rd ppg on the 5 minute major.

You think the Kings can get the 12th pick this year, for a guy taken 20th two years ago, who has yet to play an NHL game, has 6 goals and 8 points in 27 total AHL games, and coming off a decently serious injury? Other than Bob, there's no terrible contract left in Florida. If you want the 12th pick, at this point Kupari would have to be the added piece to something better. I'm not sure exactly what Florida is right now, and I don't know that the Kings have much to offer, even to a team like the Panthers.

Reactions: jfont

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
First 9 games!

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Kempe--Byfield--Vilardi
Grundstrum--JAD--Frk
Wagner--Lizotte--Moore

Bjornfot--Doughty
Anderson--Roy
Clague--Walker
McDermid

Honestly, both Amadio and Luff took backwards steps last year. Amadio had a few flashes and NHL ability...NHL level, stealing pucks, but just lacks jam and consistency. I was so hoping Amadio would rise. And Luff? He was better his first season. He's not an NHL player. My hope is that Frk and Grundstrom get real minutes and not benched after a so so performance. I think they both make it, but please let them play.

Would be nice to have a vet on defense and I suppose they could sign Hutton. He was not horrible last year in the least. Sure, better to have an upgrade, but at what cost? Hutton is not a liability. Just depends on the cost in assets / money for an upgrade.

Tobias is a year older and an NHL defenseman. If he makes the grade, let him play.

Fagemo, Turcotte, Kupari outside shots to make team. All 3 will probably see some NHL games, no matter what.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
First 9 games!

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Kempe--Byfield--Vilardi
Grundstrum--JAD--Frk
Wagner--Lizotte--Moore

Bjornfot--Doughty
Anderson--Roy
Clague--Walker
McDermid

Honestly, both Amadio and Luff took backwards steps last year. Amadio had a few flashes and NHL ability...NHL level, stealing pucks, but just lacks jam and consistency. I was so hoping Amadio would rise. And Luff? He was better his first season. He's not an NHL player. My hope is that Frk and Grundstrom get real minutes and not benched after a so so performance. I think they both make it, but please let them play.

Would be nice to have a vet on defense and I suppose they could sign Hutton. He was not horrible last year in the least. Sure, better to have an upgrade, but at what cost? Hutton is not a liability. Just depends on the cost in assets / money for an upgrade.

Tobias is a year older and an NHL defenseman. If he makes the grade, let him play.

Fagemo, Turcotte, Kupari outside shots to make team. All 3 will probably see some NHL games, no matter what.

You forgot King Arthur.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
We need some experience on left D badly. Can't expect all youngsters + MacDermid to hold the fort down. That's just asking for trouble.

I wouldn't mind one FA signing/trade, if not two. Slim pickings out there, seems like, but wouldn't mind bringing Hutton back on a 1-year deal.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This is more or less speculation rather than a rumor, but an interesting thought.

Since Laine’s entered the league, his overall contributions have been that of a borderline first-line winger. But that seriously understates his offensive ability, and just as seriously overstates his defensive contributions.

In one way, Laine reminds me of another player traded a couple of seasons back in Montreal Canadiens winger Max Pacioretty. That deal was more nuanced, but the heart of it was quite simple: the Canadiens scored plenty through Pacioretty, but defensively were a mess. And though Pacioretty wasn’t a sole contributor to that issue, he certainly didn’t help the cause either.

The Pacioretty trade was a rather rare “win-win” deal – the Canadiens acquired Tomas Tatar and a pair of promising younger players to continue their rebuild, and Vegas pushed Pacioretty into a late-career renaissance. At the heart of that renaissance? Pairing him with arguably the league’s best defensive forward in Mark Stone in what’s looked like a match made in heaven.

Laine would help just about every team in the league. But you do wonder if clubs like the Columbus Blue Jackets or Los Angeles Kings might be at the top of the list. They both bring back well-structured and disciplined defensive teams that can’t buy a goal at even strength and haven’t iced a dangerous power-play unit in years. Oh, and both have the cap space to be able to not only take on his current contract, but negotiate his next one in the process.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
This is more or less speculation rather than a rumor, but an interesting thought.

It doesn’t seem like the right time to cash in our chips for Laine. It would likely take a considerable amount to move him, and for what? Are we willing to trade Vilardi+ for Laine? I don’t see it happening.

Interestingly with Laine though, he’s only 22 and will be an RFA. But I still don’t really see it happening. If we are trading for anything, I would rather it be a defenseman.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It doesn’t seem like the right time to cash in our chips for Laine. It would likely take a considerable amount to move him, and for what? Are we willing to trade Vilardi+ for Laine? I don’t see it happening.

Interestingly with Laine though, he’s only 22 and will be an RFA. But I still don’t really see it happening. If we are trading for anything, I would rather it be a defenseman.

That's really the only reason many can consider it, if he's 28 and going into his walk year, that list is almost exclusively contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad