Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The only contract I would consider trading for Bobrovsky is Karlsson. Even then it's only to get a little cap space and out of the contract 1 year sooner.
Not worth it simply because Bob offers absolutely nothing at this point while Karlsson still can contribute. He’d probably revert back close to his offensively dominant self in Florida with the competence they have there thus making the trade look even more embarrassing.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Not worth it simply because Bob offers absolutely nothing at this point while Karlsson still can contribute. He’d probably revert back close to his offensively dominant self in Florida with the competence they have there thus making the trade look even more embarrassing.
While I agree with how useless Bobrovsky is I am coming at this from a rebuilding perspective. I do not think adding a stop gap goalie or a 3C will miraculously improve this team to a contender. Perhaps not even a bubble playoff team. Getting out from these contracts as soon as possible is the best thing for us.

I also disagree about Karlsson. I think he is going to continue to regress, partially due to injuries and partially due to his slow starts every year. Those bad starts are going to get longer and longer and the defensive miscues will continue.

Having any extra space at all will help us when we are ready especially since we may get a future asset for this trade.

All that being said this is probably a moot point. Doesn't Bobrovsky have an NMC? If memory serves I don't think he is willing to waive. Karlsson may not either.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
While I agree with how useless Bobrovsky is I am coming at this from a rebuilding perspective. I do not think adding a stop gap goalie or a 3C will miraculously improve this team to a contender. Perhaps not even a bubble playoff team. Getting out from these contracts as soon as possible is the best thing for us.

I also disagree about Karlsson. I think he is going to continue to regress, partially due to injuries and partially due to his slow starts every year. Those bad starts are going to get longer and longer and the defensive miscues will continue.

Having any extra space at all will help us when we are ready especially since we may get a future asset for this trade.

All that being said this is probably a moot point. Doesn't Bobrovsky have an NMC? If memory serves I don't think he is willing to waive. Karlsson may not either.
It’s mind-boggling how much Bob’s career mirrored Bryzgalov’s.

I think a better PP in FL alone will make up a lot of those lost numbers for Erik. Imagine him out there with Barkov, Huberdeau and Tippett?

I do think most teams will see that shoddy team play seems to follow Erik around though. Ottawa mostly struggled with him and he’s now been on two awful Sharks teams in the three he’s been there. Don’t know of any team out there that would risk that kind of dissension for that price unless they’re tanking themselves.

Something about Erik just seems to kill culture. I don’t know if he’s a locker room cancer but he definitely strikes me as someone teammates don’t want to hang around with if they didn’t have to. Just a feeling I get.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Bob can be bought out in 2024 for just under $7 million total. I would consider that trade if Karlsson has another season like this one.

If we traded Karlsson for Bobrovsky next summer and bought out both Bob and Vlasic in summer 2024 we would be out of cap hell a lot sooner than expected, and right as the salary cap should actually start going back up too.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It’s mind-boggling how much Bob’s career mirrored Bryzgalov’s.

I think a better PP in FL alone will make up a lot of those lost numbers for Erik. Imagine him out there with Barkov, Huberdeau and Tippett?

I do think most teams will see that shoddy team play seems to follow Erik around though. Ottawa mostly struggled with him and he’s now been on two awful Sharks teams in the three he’s been there. Don’t know of any team out there that would risk that kind of dissension for that price unless they’re tanking themselves.

Something about Erik just seems to kill culture. I don’t know if he’s a locker room cancer but he definitely strikes me as someone teammates don’t want to hang around with if they didn’t have to. Just a feeling I get.

I mean, with EK they got close to the finals if it wasn’t for injuries. The last two years they lost the heart of their team in Pavs and then in Joe Thornton - that’s going to do more damage than Karlsson.

Also, they all seem to chat and laugh and talk to him on the bench just fine. He seemed to even be the one presenting Patty the painting the team got him which seemed to me like a weird thing to do for a person no one gets along with.

I do hope that Karlsson takes this summer to train like a madman and get into a good physical shape. I think his slow starts equate to bad training.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Also, they all seem to chat and laugh and talk to him on the bench just fine. He seemed to even be the one presenting Patty the painting the team got him which seemed to me like a weird thing to do for a person no one gets along with.
That's why I said when they don't have to. I think Erik tries to be a leader but it comes off not as he hoped. Again, all just a feeling I get. It probably works better when the team is winning, but I can envision a lot of eye-rolling when he talks. Maybe I'm wrong. Dunno. Who cares?

AlphaPred

May 2, 2021
The only contract I would consider trading for Bobrovsky is Karlsson. Even then it's only to get a little cap space and out of the contract 1 year sooner.
See I would rather do that too instead of Vlasic. I just don' think Karlsson is as committed to winning in San Jose as Vlasic is. I haven't seen Vlasic quit on a play like I've seen a few times this year out of Karlsson. You can't have someone wearing an "A" doing that stuff on the ice and I think that's what Boughner was referring to in his end of year press conference about holding all players accountable, not just the lower tier roster guys.

Vlasic at least tries when he's out on the ice, even though at this stage at that number it's not good enough.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I have the same feeling. No proof, I just get that impression. I think he is that catalyst of the locker room problems.

Reactions: TheBeard

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
The feeling i get is if this was an issue and guys felt EK was pompous, arrogant, flippant or otherwise lacking true team building, team oriented behaviors, it would be palpable and would have come to light sooner. I get the feeling he's a guy who does care, he does want to win, he gets frustrated the team isn't getting the results. I get the feeling he wants to improve and wants to see the guys upbeat, not down and negative. I think, if he was speaking to the room it would be coming from a place of being constructive, not toxic. Thats my feeling. What do I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sandisfan

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Despite the down year, Meier proved he can score 30/30 in the NHL. His value is at LEAST a Top 10 pick (on par with where he was drafted) if not higher since he’s a proven commodity. His draft pedigree, age, and contract/term should help aid in this value as well.

Sure, until you look at the dumb contract our gm gave him.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
See I would rather do that too instead of Vlasic. I just don' think Karlsson is as committed to winning in San Jose as Vlasic is. I haven't seen Vlasic quit on a play like I've seen a few times this year out of Karlsson. You can't have someone wearing an "A" doing that stuff on the ice and I think that's what Boughner was referring to in his end of year press conference about holding all players accountable, not just the lower tier roster guys.

Vlasic at least tries when he's out on the ice, even though at this stage at that number it's not good enough.
Don't know if I would say that. He seems mentally checked out. He just isn't facing top competition anymore se he doesn't get exposed as much.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The feeling i get is if this was an issue and guys felt he was pompous, arrogant, flippant or otherwise lacking true team building, team oriented behaviors, it would be palpable and would have come to light sooner. I get the feeling he's a guy who does care, he does want to win, he gets frustrated the team isn't getting the results. I get the feeling he wants to improve and wants to see the guys upbeat, not down and negative. I think, if he was speaking to the room it would be coming from a place of being constructive, not toxic. Thats my feeling. What do I know.
None of us know but the audacity of some of the snobs here to declare what they think as the only plausible explanation is proof of why the Sharks fan base is so hated by others.

Reactions: Groo

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't think you get it. He's basically a UFA in 2 yrs unless you want to pay him $10M.
No, I get it. The plan was to hopefully resign him to another long term deal prior to the end of this four year one and this was his insurance policy, the cap hit’s the same regardless, it’s a question of whether or not Hasso wants to pay him.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I don't think you get it. He's basically a UFA in 2 yrs unless you want to pay him $10M.
But the way he is playing now losing won't be a crippling blow. Declining for the 2nd year in a row and major warts starting to appear in his game. If he declines further then trading him for what we can instead of paying him for what may have been an outlier season 2 years ago seems wise.

thrillermiller89

Jan 19, 2010
San Jose
I don’t think you need to pay him $10 million on the qualifying offer (1 year deal) if you can work out an extension next year (if he wants long term security he’d do another $6-7 million per year multi year deal.. if he wants to do what Hall did then yeah he can play for one year at $10 million and if he continues to be a 30 point player then he will likely be getting a $3 million deal with us or another team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad