Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
So how many "drop pass" fans we got out there? Those no look ones are particularly fun to watch. This is something that's coached, right? Like the coaches are specifically instructing the players to do this? As a way to have better entries into the offensive zone and exits of the defensive zone?

Edit: Which Specific Zone Entry Types Are Most Successful? — Special Teams Project

All I could find statwise regarding drop pass entries.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If we draft 7-9 OA, I would honestly think we might be better off attaching the pick to move a bad contract. There were some absolute steals last season, and I expect more of the same this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It would be dumb to move a top 10 pick to move a bad contact
Yeah, I would consider moving that 7-10 range pick to move back and acquire a later 1st and some 2nd's or something like that and then package a late 1st to a contract maybe and then make hay in the 2nd round and beyond per usual. Though, if the guy you want is there then you take him in the 7-10 range and find another option to move a contract.

Reactions: themelkman

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
It would be dumb to move a top 10 pick to move a bad contact

I’m not thrilled about anything in this class to be honest. I think this draft class is stunted due to COVID. More to the point, given the league cap situation, I think it’s gonna cost 7OA to move something like Vlasic, Jones, etc.

Reactions: tealzamboni

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
So how many "drop pass" fans we got out there? Those no look ones are particularly fun to watch. This is something that's coached, right? Like the coaches are specifically instructing the players to do this? As a way to have better entries into the offensive zone and exits of the defensive zone?

Edit: Which Specific Zone Entry Types Are Most Successful? — Special Teams Project

I hate it. It's so boring. It's not fun to watch.

I think it started with Detroit? And everyone's been copying that move since.

Reactions: landshark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It's weird, on one hand I want them to make the playoffs because hey, playoffs, but on the other hand, they're going to get absolutely obliterated. There's no world where they still a series, I just can't, in any circumstance, imagine that unless Burns, Karlsson and Couture go into God mode and take over but... I just can't see it.

So, as much as I'm like, GUYS IT'S FOUR POINTS, I'm also like... maybe it's not so bad that you can't seem to win a game anymore...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's weird, on one hand I want them to make the playoffs because hey, playoffs, but on the other hand, they're going to get absolutely obliterated. There's no world where they still a series, I just can't, in any circumstance, imagine that unless Burns, Karlsson and Couture go into God mode and take over but... I just can't see it.

So, as much as I'm like, GUYS IT'S FOUR POINTS, I'm also like... maybe it's not so bad that you can't seem to win a game anymore...

I think the 4 point difference is very deceiving though. For the 4th playoff spot in our division:

Coyotes are 4 points ahead with 1 more game played.
Blues are 3 points ahead with 2 fewer games played.
Kings are 1 point behind with 3 fewer games played.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
New lines:

Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Balcers-Couture-Meier
Marleau-Gambrell-Gregor
Donato-Kellman-Leonard-Blichfeld

well RIP Rudy.

Also that third line is a fourth line and that fourth line is more of a third line. I guess it doesn't matter so much as long as you deploy them effectively., but I think I'd rather put Donato, Leonard, and Blichfeld together with Gambrell than Kellman and not move Marleau up. Gregor deserves more of a look, though, so I can't complain about that.

Burns and Karlsson back together on the power play, too. I guess it could only get worse if they start giving up possession during PP entirely.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009

Skating slowly to the neutral zone and then passing the puck backwards to a guy skating fast while the rest of the team stands flat footed at the blue line waiting for him to catch up confuses the opponents. Or something.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Skating slowly to the neutral zone and then passing the puck backwards to a guy skating fast while the rest of the team stands flat footed at the blue line waiting for him to catch up confuses the opponents. Or something.

When that fails, there's always the old reliable "chop/hack the puck up the ice".

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I hate it. It's so boring. It's not fun to watch.

I think it started with Detroit? And everyone's been copying that move since.

It's so awful when there's a turnover on those, too. I can't wrap my head around this theme with this group of players. Mix in some other viable option(s) for the initial puck carrier. Trying to drop pass to enter the zone all the time when the opposition is well aware that's exactly what is going to happen isn't going to work with this group. There's no room in that system for creativity. There's a complete lack of style. It's worst case scenario when they pick off those passes because the Sharks aren't always the fastest group on the ice at any given time. Those turnovers leave the Sharks hoping their goalie makes the save.

Probably all part of DW's stealth tank. Get a guy in to coach a system that is doomed to fail with the current group of players' skillset, check. Worst two goalies in the league last year, check. Tell everyone the goal is to make the playoffs, check.

Not mathematically eliminated, but St. Louis has two games in hand and a three point lead on the Sharks. STL has three games in hand on PHX and only a point behind them for the last spot. LA is one point behind us with three games in hand. "Moar drop passes," DW mumbled to himself as he basked in the glow of the tanning bed wondering how to get rid of Vlasic's contract this offseason and Jones's the next...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So what're the odds that Boughner gets fired? I feel like you could reasonably justify keeping him in saying it's not his fault that the roster is bad but you could also reasonably justify that the players look worse because the coaching is bad. The main reason this comes to mind is that the power play is so god damn bad that the sharks will consistently face more dangerous chances against even though they're up a man. Seriously. What the f***.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
So what're the odds that Boughner gets fired? I feel like you could reasonably justify keeping him in saying it's not his fault that the roster is bad but you could also reasonably justify that the players look worse because the coaching is bad. The main reason this comes to mind is that the power play is so god damn bad that the sharks will consistently face more dangerous chances against even though they're up a man. Seriously. What the f***.

He should be fired but he won’t be. Honestly if I’m the owner, somebody needs to go after this season. Coach, GM or both

Reactions: tealzamboni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad