Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I agree, I imagine he figures the D is more or less set, maybe get a 7th veteran D to step in. I’m sure he’ll try to grab a scoring winger to make the kids compete and try and roll 4 pretty good lines.

Something like:

Kane - Hertl - Barabanov
Meier - Couture - Labanc/scoring winger
Balcers - 3C - Labanc/Leonard/Scoring winger
Nieto - Gambrell/True - Gregor

I mean, it’s not horrible, particularly if the 2nd line can get chemistry and Barabanov and Balcers keep playing well. Not a Stanley Cup team but a potentially fun team.

That is barely a playoff team and only because the Sharks are in the Pacific division. It would be monumentally stupid, but that's exactly what I think DW will do, unfortunately.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I agree, I imagine he figures the D is more or less set, maybe get a 7th veteran D to step in. I’m sure he’ll try to grab a scoring winger to make the kids compete and try and roll 4 pretty good lines.

Something like:

Kane - Hertl - Barabanov
Meier - Couture - Labanc/scoring winger
Balcers - 3C - Labanc/Leonard/Scoring winger
Nieto - Gambrell/True - Gregor

I mean, it’s not horrible, particularly if the 2nd line can get chemistry and Barabanov and Balcers keep playing well. Not a Stanley Cup team but a potentially fun team.
I wish DW would commit to a rebuild but it’s clear that’s not the direction he’s going. So, theses are the kind of discussions we should be having.

Pretty certain that Kane - Hertl - Barabanov start together.
Which 2 of Meier, Labanc, and Balcers plays with Couture against top competition?
Who is the new 3C?
Does Leonard play on the 3rd line with Meier/Labanc/Balcers or can someone else challenge for that spot?
Are Nieto and/or Marleau resigned for 4th line duty?
Does DW bring in some sandpaper?
Are Ferraro- Burns still the shutdown pair or does Karlsson get another shot against top competition?
If Simek goes in the expansion draft, who is the 6th D?
Who is the new starting goaltender?
Which B is Jones? Backup, Bought out, or Buried?
How do we fix the power play?

Reactions: Jargon

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’d like to take a flyer on Dylan Strome. He had a really bad year but I don’t think he’s as bad as he played this season. He’s on his way out from Chicago and he could be had for quite cheap. I think if we’re serious about getting a 3C, we should get one who has potential to be more.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I’d like to take a flyer on Dylan Strome. He had a really bad year but I don’t think he’s as bad as he played this season. He’s on his way out from Chicago and he could be had for quite cheap. I think if we’re serious about getting a 3C, we should get one who has potential to be more.
Stromes a guy I've always wished the Sharks would acquire. Almost seems like a pipe dream as he'll probably sign with a Boston or NY or somethin typical like that. Would love to see him turn things around in Teal. Feels like at 24 he still has an opportunity to salvage his career.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Stromes a guy I've always wished the Sharks would acquire. Almost seems like a pipe dream as he'll probably sign with a Boston or NY or somethin typical like that. Would love to see him turn things around in Teal. Feels like at 24 he still has an opportunity to salvage his career.

I think part of it is that I’m just blinded by love of prospects who say they idolized Joe Thornton (of which Strome is one). Strome’s huge weakness is his skating. He should hire whoever Justin Braun hired in 2013 that completely transformed his skating. If Strome can even become an average skater, I think he could be a real player.

Low risk, high reward IMHO. If he doesn’t turn out, then oh well.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Couture is much better than Danualt.

Not defensively. Couture's offense has also really fallen off the last two years. People like to bag on Meier but guess who has ten more points between him and Couture over the last two seasons.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Not defensively. Couture's offense has also really fallen off the last two years. People like to bag on Meier but guess who has ten more points between him and Couture over the last two seasons.
His offense has fallen off? He was on pace to score close to 30 goals this year if it was a 82 game season. Maybe the expectation was 30 goals, 30 assists in 53 games but that just didn't happen. Practically everyone's offense on this team has fallen off. Kane was really the lone exception.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
His offense has fallen off? He was on pace to score close to 30 goals this year if it was a 82 game season. Maybe the expectation was 30 goals, 30 assists in 53 games but that just didn't happen. Practically everyone's offense on this team has fallen off. Kane was really the lone exception.

He was on pace for 26 goals and 48 points if it was an 82 game season.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
He was on pace for 26 goals and 48 points if it was an 82 game season.
Thats close to 30 goals at the very least. Not eye popping numbers but pretty much on par for the last time he played a shortened season before last year. Had 36 pts in 52 games in 15-16. Point I'm making is Couture seems to improve in a full length season with highs and lows. In condensed campaigns his numbers seem to shrivel.

15-16
19-20
20-21 seasons, almost identical number of games in each season, almost identical numbers across the board.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If you're continuing with Couture as a center, you have to have three centers who can be top six centers because you have to account for the reality that Couture and Hertl are likely to get injured at times during a full season. Hell, you'd like to have four forwards capable of being a center in the top six so that you have the depth to cover injuries because the team has a lot of wingers to fill out the lineup and you don't want the first injury to kill your 3rd line.

Reactions: STL Shark and Hodge

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Couture was at almost a PPG pace through the first two months of the season (22 points in 24 games). We know he got injured from the Carter hit on 3/24 and was not right the rest of the season (was brought up a few times in pressers and then was why he sat out the final 3 games). So when healthy, he had 14-9-23 in 30 games. Would have put him on pace for 63 points over an 82 game schedule. For a second line center on a team that had no sort of power play to speak of, I will take that 10/10 times. Just have to find a way to keep him healthier. A 3C probably helps that as he can reduce his minutes a bit (especially the SH minutes).

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Couture was at almost a PPG pace through the first two months of the season (22 points in 24 games). We know he got injured from the Carter hit on 3/24 and was not right the rest of the season (was brought up a few times in pressers and then was why he sat out the final 3 games). So when healthy, he had 14-9-23 in 30 games. Would have put him on pace for 63 points over an 82 game schedule. For a second line center on a team that had no sort of power play to speak of, I will take that 10/10 times. Just have to find a way to keep him healthier. A 3C probably helps that as he can reduce his minutes a bit (especially the SH minutes).
This

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Therein lies the rub. Keeping Couture healthier is just unlikely to happen. He's not going to change how he plays his game unless we take him out of the pivot. Considering the Sharks don't really have that option, the only thing to do is to find a 3C that maybe takes away his PK time. Wennberg from Florida would be a great fit if the team can afford him and convince him to come here. I'd expect him to be near the 4 mil range. Considering the stated offseason goals, signing Driedger to a three year deal and Wennberg to a four year deal would be ideal for addressing those particular things but I wouldn't consider it enough.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think part of it is that I’m just blinded by love of prospects who say they idolized Joe Thornton (of which Strome is one). Strome’s huge weakness is his skating. He should hire whoever Justin Braun hired in 2013 that completely transformed his skating. If Strome can even become an average skater, I think he could be a real player.

Low risk, high reward IMHO. If he doesn’t turn out, then oh well.

I feel like these are exactly the players DW is going to try and get - lower cost, out of favor but maybe they can turn it around-type of guys.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
That is barely a playoff team and only because the Sharks are in the Pacific division. It would be monumentally stupid, but that's exactly what I think DW will do, unfortunately.

yeah I mean, I prefer @Juxtaposer’s rebuild proposal at this point but from everything both DW and the players said, I don’t think they’re doing that at all. This team might work out if magically Burns, Karlsson, Meier and Couture play up to their potential and Hertl stays uninjured for more than 20 games at a time.

It’s a lot of unrealistic hopes. Maybe DW snags a star though, who knows.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

True, but this is the kind of what-if math that can get funky. Couture's a player who probably isn't going to be fully healthy over an 82-game season.

Strome has intrigued me for a while; part of this is when you look around the league all these reclamation projects seem to be working well (most recently, look at Sam Bennett in Florida).

But...I'd like the Sharks to get some speed down the middle. Strome is slow-as-mollasses. Getting him could be a one-step-forward two-steps-back move.

Nolan Patrick would be an interesting get. Risky move but could payoff big if he finds his groove

What happened to him this season?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

IMO he was being carried by Kane early on in the season and stopped producing when Kane was taken off his line. Same thing happened with Labanc when he was taken off Kane's line. Also Couture never seems to stay healthy for a full season and as he gets into his mid-30s I don't see that changing for the better. I hope I'm wrong but I think we're looking at the start of a serious decline for Couture. He was never as good as Pavelski, Marleau or Thornton even in his prime so it would make sense he starts falling off sooner and steeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad