Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
EDIT : Not quoting anybody because it gets way too complicated I guess!

Batherson and Brannstrom from the same draft in 2017. Batherson is playing a major role on the team and was a 4th round pick

Brannstrom was a 15th OA pick and the main piece (well, almost the only piece) in return for one of the top wingers in the game, an elite 2-way forward

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They're from the same draft in 2017. Batherson is playing a major role on the team and was a 4th round pick

Brannstrom was a 15th OA pick and the main piece (well, almost the only piece) in return for one of the top wingers in the game, an elite 2-way forward
Batherson was drafted as an overager

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yes but doesn't change the facts stated. It's about time for Brannstrom, like it also is for Logan Brown. Those guys are not late round picks. Going into their D+5 and D+6 next season...
Actually it does change the facts that you were trying to present...you responded to a poster who said his path is following Batherson’s, which is correct based on age of players

Reactions: Sweatred and Masked

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Actually it does change the facts that you were trying to present...you responded to a poster who said his path is following Batherson’s, which is correct based on age of players

lol no. And I am not "trying" anything, I just did it without even trying.

It's not because I quote somebody that I am not allowed to follow on that or present another angle/idea

This is what I have said :

They're from the same draft in 2017 : TRUE fact

Batherson is playing a major role on the team and was a 4th round pick : TRUE fact

Brannstrom was a 15th OA pick : TRUE fact

Main piece in return for one of the top wingers in the game : TRUE fact (well, at this point I'd say it's factual about Stone)

Sometimes it's very simple but somehow it still gets misinterpreted, or is it just some gymnastics to defend the organization? I'm not even attacking the organization. I'm just stating the reality. If you don't like it, what can I do about it?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
lol no. And I am not "trying" anything, I just did it without even trying.

It's not because I quote somebody that I am not allowed to present another angle/idea

This is what I have said :

They're from the same draft in 2017 : TRUE fact

Batherson is playing a major role on the team and was a 4th round pick : TRUE fact

Brannstrom was a 15th OA pick : TRUE fact

Main piece in return for one of the top wingers in the game : TRUE fact (well, at this point I'd say it's factual about Stone)

Really, sometimes it's very simple but somehow it still gets misinterpreted, or it,s just more weird mental gymnastics to defend the organization. I'm not attacking the organization. I'm stating the freaking reality. Seriously... it's getting impossible to post anything.
Relax man. The poster said they were doing what they did with Batherson, waiting until he is fully ready to keep him in the NHL. It’s not difficult to comprehend what he meant, yet you’re making it so and posting facts that are irrelevant to what he said

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Relax man. The poster said they were doing what they did with Batherson, waiting until he is fully ready to keep him in the NHL. It’s not difficult to comprehend what he meant, yet you’re making it so and posting facts that are irrelevant to what he said

Seriously, it's getting impossible to post anything. Once again, I only stated facts but somehow it doesn't work? I was told I was creating an alternate reality the other day... lol what in the hell.

Whatever the poster said (and I never said it wasn't true) doesn't change anything to what I have added to the discussion. So why would you even say "Actually it does change the facts"? Why?

Do you actually think I am saying stuff because I DON'T WANT the Sens to be 1st OA in the league and all of Batherson, Norris, Stutzle, Brannstrom, Chabot to be PPG and signed to sweetheart long-term deals?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Seriously, it's getting impossible to post anything. Once again, I only stated facts but somehow it doesn't work? I was told I was creating an alternate reality the other day... lol what in the hell.

Whatever the poster said (and I never said it wasn't true) doesn't change anything to what I have added to the discussion. So why would you even say "Actually it does change the facts"? Why?

Do you actually think I am saying stuff because I DON'T WANT the Sens to be 1st OA in the league and all of Batherson, Norris, Stutzle, Brannstrom, Chabot to be PPG and signed to sweetheart long-term deals?
That has nothing to do with what is being discussed. Have a good one.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
What has nothing to do with what? Batherson and Brannstrom? Facts have nothing to do with reality?

lol look at the initial post, I removed the quote and started my own subject!!!

So what gymnastics are going to be done now? I'm curious.

You sound wound up dude. Batherson is almost a year and a half older than Brannstrom.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
EDIT : Not quoting anybody because it gets way too complicated I guess!

Batherson and Brannstrom from the same draft in 2017. Batherson is playing a major role on the team and was a 4th round pick

Defense take longer to develop than a winger

Being an offensive winger is easi

Reactions: Sweatred

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You sound wound up dude. Batherson is almost a year and a half older than Brannstrom.

lol no but I must admit that I find that "defend the organization at all costs" thing annoying. I am sure I am not the only one... I mean, it can be hard to even post simple facts.

Even if Batherson is older, he was a 4th round pick (and overager), he's coming from FAR. Brannstrom was a TOP pick and has been a professional for 5 full years now... Did I say he was a bust? No but he's taking time to "arrive", is it not true? Do you guys think I never said anything positive about Brannstrom? That I want him to fail?

Maybe we should temper expectations with him though. I often talked about a Tobias Enstrom comparable. That would actually be a good result.

Defense take longer to develop than a winger

Being an offensive winger is easi

ok but how long a 15th OA D-man should take to develop?

Obviously, they're much much better but Karlsson was a regular in his D+2 and Chabot in his D+3. Most good D-men make it by their D+3 (posted about that before, see below) Brannstrom going in his D+5

Prospect Info: - Shane Pinto, 32nd Overall, C

Karlsson 15th OA in 2008 : NHL regular in his D+2 season
Cowen 9th OA in 2009 : NHL regular in his D+3 season (injuries slowed his development)
Ceci 15th OA in 2012 : NHL regular in his D+2 season
Chabot 18th OA in 2015 : NHL regular in his D+3 season

I also looked at D-men since 2010 but only for top-9 picks, would be interesting to see this for 1st round picks in general but seriously, most good D-man usually don't take 5 years to make the NHL.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, no problem being patient with Branstrom he’s very close. Letting him spend a little more time in the AHL like Batherson looks like a good idea.

Definitely no need to freak out

Reactions: Icelevel

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Enstrom took five years after being drafted to be a full time NHL and he was drafted as an overager. Ryan Ellis took 5 years as well and he was drafted even higher than Brannstrom. Devon Toews took five years after being drafted as an overager.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes but doesn't change the facts stated. It's about time for Brannstrom, like it also is for Logan Brown. Those guys are not late round picks. Going into their D+5 and D+6 next season...
Weber 21, Dumba 21, Pulock 23, Morrissey 22

So if Brannstrom is full time next year at 22 then there is nothing out of normal.

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

So if Brannstrom is full time next year at 22 then there is nothing out of normal.

It’s even more for small puck moving defensemen who don’t have the explosiveness/elite talent of Hughes, Makar or Karlsson.

Timmonen 25, Rafalski 29, Enstrom 23, Marc-Andre Bergeron 23, Vatanen 22, Spurgeon 22.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Morrissey only 1 pro season before being a full time regular. Same for Weber (who was a 2nd rounder) and Dumba (only 23 AHL games)

Pulock needed 3 full pro seasons so he's more comparable. Of course, there's always going to be cases both ways, but the majority of significant D-men usually make it by the end of their D+3

I'm not saying Brannstrom will bust because of this (and I have to repeat these kind of things to not create confusion!), I'm just saying it's taking a while before he's able to establish himself on a weak D-group made mainly of cast-offs and non-estabished late 20's guys.

I know it doesn't sound super positive. I am really sorry about that if anyone doesn't like it.

Enstrom took five years after being drafted to be a full time NHL and he was drafted as an overager. Ryan Ellis took 5 years as well and he was drafted even higher than Brannstrom. Devon Toews took five years after being drafted as an overager.

Which makes him an even better comparable? As Erik will be in his D+5 next season. Tobias was drafted in the 8th round as a long-term unlikely project. He stayed 4 seasons in Sweden after the draft then straight to full time NHLer.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Morrissey only 1 pro season before being a full time regular. Same for Weber (who was a 2nd rounder) and Dumba (only 23 AHL games)

Pulock needed 3 full pro seasons so he's more comparable. Of course, there's always going to be cases both ways, but the majority of significant D-men usually make it by the end of their D+3

I'm not saying Brannstrom will bust because of this (and I have to repeat these kind of things to not create confusion!), I'm just saying it's taking a while before he's able to establish himself on a weak D-group made mainly of cast-offs and non-estabished late 20's guys.

I know it doesn't sound super positive. I am really sorry about that if anyone doesn't like it.

Which makes him an even better comparable? As Erik will be in his D+5 next season. Tobias was drafted in the 8th round as a long-term unlikely project. He stayed 4 seasons in Sweden after the draft then straight to full time NHLer.
Weber, Dumba, Morrissey all D+4 Potluck D+5.

Using pro seasons is a disingenuous considering the systems in different countries. If Brannstrom had Canadian and gone CHL he would be in his 2nd pro season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You can't compare Brannstrom to bigger players who have NHL size, that is what is holding him back the most the lack of strength to deal with the big NHL forwards. He needs to get stronger & that takes time, unfortunately for him he doesn't have that much time with JBD & Sanderson coming soon & Zub & Thomson already here. In another yr or so Kleven will show up & if they draft another good defenceman in 2021 that will be more competition. I don't see a spot for him long term & hopefully PD can make a move for him that returns something this team can use.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You can't compare Brannstrom to bigger players who have NHL size, that is what is holding him back the most the lack of strength to deal with the big NHL forwards. He needs to get stronger & that takes time, unfortunately for him he doesn't have that much time with JBD & Sanderson coming soon & Zub & Thomson already here. In another yr or so Kleven will show up & if they draft another good defenceman in 2021 that will be more competition. I don't see a spot for him long term & hopefully PD can make a move for him that returns something this team can use.

Brannstrom is 21

Vatanen was 22 when he broke in
Krug was 22
Ellis was 22
Barrie was 22
Russell was 21

Nothing wrong with how long its taking Brannstrom.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom is 21

Vatanen was 22 when he broke in
Krug was 22
Ellis was 22
Barrie was 22
Russell was 21

Nothing wrong with how long its taking Brannstrom.

You're right there is nothing wrong with how long it is taking Brannstrom, but competition is coming, competition that some of us think will affect his ability to make or stick in Ottawa. Chabot has a guaranteed spot, maybe Zub as well & Zaitsev who has another 3 yrs left on his contract. There's 3 spots gone with JBD & Thomson, both bigger players knocking on the door soon.

IMO Sanderson is almost guaranteed a spot whenever he turns pro because of his dynamic skating ability & NHL size & skillset. And who knows who PD adds between now & next yr who might also take another roster spot not to mention if they draft a defenceman quite high in the next two drafts. Kleven also looks like a DJ kind of player who can skate but could be a few yrs away. Time is running out is all I'm saying & we already know how DJ feels about him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You're right there is nothing wrong with how long it is taking Brannstrom, but competition is coming, competition that some of us think will affect his ability to make or stick in Ottawa. Chabot has a guaranteed spot, maybe Zub as well & Zaitsev who has another 3 yrs left on his contract. There's 3 spots gone with JBD & Thomson, both bigger players knocking on the door soon.

IMO Sanderson is almost guaranteed a spot whenever he turns pro because of his dynamic skating ability & NHL size & skillset. And who knows who PD adds between now & next yr who might also take another roster spot not to mention if they draft a defenceman quite high in the next two drafts. Kleven also looks like a DJ kind of player who can skate but could be a few yrs away. Time is running out is all I'm saying & we already know how DJ feels about him.

There will be competition for sure, but that a good thing. You listed a bunch of guys (most of which play the right side mind you) and if they all pan out thats a great problem to have, but we've see Rundblad, Cowen, Ceci, Wiercioch all not turn into the players people thought they would, until JBD, Thomson and Kleven prove themselves as NHL players, they aren't really a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad