Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Abramov, Thomson and Davidsson is all we're left with.

Might not end up getting a single NHLer out of the deal.

Pretty terrible return for a #1 center, even if he was a rental.
It all hinges on how Thomson pans out.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm willing to be patient with Thomson but why did Dorion pass on Heinola when like every scout in the world had him ahead of Thomson?

Plus missing out on McMichael and Tomasino hurts too
Trent Mann not Dorion. I trust Mann’s eye for talent.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Trent Mann not Dorion. I trust Mann’s eye for talent.
Mann is the head scout, but he's generally the guy finding guys in the Q, specifically the Maritimes (reason the Sens are the team that has drafted the most out of that division by a huge amount, as well as JBD and Tychonik who played a 5 game tournament their draft year in Truro), Thomson likely is found by our guys out West.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Victor Lodin on the first line today and scores the first goal of the game.

Still 1-0 after 2

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Mann is the head scout, but he's generally the guy finding guys in the Q, specifically the Maritimes (reason the Sens are the team that has drafted the most out of that division by a huge amount, as well as JBD and Tychonik who played a 5 game tournament their draft year in Truro), Thomson likely is found by our guys out West.
I agree I was just saying the head scout usually makes the decisions as GMs don’t usually have time to scout a lot. It’s like Dorion with Karlsson, Forsberg was the main scout on Karlsson but we give Dorion credit because he was the one who pushed Murray to trade up. Unless you are picking Top 5 GMs can’t really scout enough.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Trent Mann has been an amateur scout with the Sens since 2014. Looking back over previous drafts his only misses (where we drafted a player from the Q that didn't work out) are Francis Perron (2014), Gabriel Gagne (2015), and Filip Chlapik (2015). All things considered that isn't a bad list of misses. Perron was a QMJHL MVP and went on to be a decent AHL player, Chlapik nearly double his QMJHL production and was a decent AHL player. Gagne had all the tools and from the accounts of Trent's brother, he looked great individually but just struggled to play with other players.

Now that he is the head of amateur scouting does he still take on regional scouting responsibilities or how does his role change with regards to individual scouting?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Trent Mann has been an amateur scout with the Sens since 2014. Looking back over previous drafts his only misses (where we drafted a player from the Q that didn't work out) are Francis Perron (2014), Gabriel Gagne (2015), and Filip Chlapik (2015). All things considered that isn't a bad list of misses. Perron was a QMJHL MVP and went on to be a decent AHL player, Chlapik nearly double his QMJHL production and was a decent AHL player. Gagne had all the tools and from the accounts of Trent's brother, he looked great individually but just struggled to play with other players.

Now that he is the head of amateur scouting does he still take on regional scouting responsibilities or how does his role change with regards to individual scouting?
Mann lives in New Brunswick, he is able to watch the Maritimes more so than any other division or league. He obviously has a lot more on his plate overseeing all the other scouts and areas, but he will still get many viewings in the Q, especially with Matteo in Chicoutimi

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
At the end of the day as head of scouting it's Mann who is responsible for the Thomson pick, whether or not he spent a ton of time scouting him.

As someone who watched him live in Kelowna half a dozen times in 2019, it was an inexcusably bad selection that makes me question the quality of our staff in correctly evaluating the attributes that matter to the success of young defensemen.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
At the end of the day as head of scouting it's Mann who is responsible for the Thomson pick, whether or not he spent a ton of time scouting him.

As someone who watched him live in Kelowna half a dozen times in 2019, it was an inexcusably bad selection that makes me question the quality of our staff in correctly evaluating the attributes that matter to the success of young defensemen.
So why is Troy Mann praising him so highly in Belleville? He was also ranked 30th on Bob Mckenzie's list heading into the draft. Maybe it was a leap to take him at 19 and maybe the pick won't work out but isn't it a bit early to write him off entirely?

Also isn't Adam Foote the coach of Kelowna? Wouldn't he have a pretty good idea of what it takes to be a successful d man in the NHL? Maybe he had high praise for Thomson and maybe that influenced the Sens decision to draft him.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Victor Lodin on the first line today and scores the first goal of the game
I’m pleased to see him enjoying success; however, until he moves up and continues to improve I’m not going to get too excited about this kid.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

“Inexcusably bad selection”. Jesus Christ. He hasn’t even played 20 games in the ahl yet.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wonder if any of our seemingly very good goalie prospects can play D? Someone on our amateur drafting team seems to have an eye for goalies.

Trent Mann was a junior A goalie .. I'm sure they use other goalie resources in the org as well.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Hasn’t looked terrible in his first NA pro season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think Abramov will find success... in another organization.
Probably Seattle. Brannstrom and Brown will probably find success elsewhere too. They've already begun to be phased out of the team like Chlapik, Jaros, Lajoie, Wolanin, Balcers before them.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He's looked like one of the better D in the organization and DJ won't play him to the point he's down in the AHL where he is clearly too good. I think he's in the out group like the previous guys I mentioned.
they did the same with Batherson

they want to develop him. Not have him barely hang onto the nhl spot

Reactions: The Expert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad