Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Highly athletic 6'7 goalie. Highest *potential* upside of the goalies. He can make saves that very few goalies in any league will be able to make. We'll see how likely he is to achieve that upside. Athletically incredible but technique is not great. We'll see.

Too bad he is not 6'7" wide! :)

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Marcus Sorensen might be a decent benchmark to calibrate point production in HockeyAllsvenskan to the NHL.
Marcus Sörensen at eliteprospects.com
At the same age Sorensen point production was 43 GP 13 G 17 A 30 PTS

In 5 more games Lodin has 1 more goal, 9 more assists and 10 more points. Sorensen didn't join the AHL.NHL until he was 26 and he has been around a 20 to 30 point player. He was on loan to HockeyAllsvenskan to start this year and put up 14 GP 11 G 13 A 24 PTS since the NHL season has started his production is 18 GP 1 G 2 A 3 PTS.

It isn't a perfect way to calibrate but it does provide some insight into how production in that league compares. Lodin could end up more productive at the NHL level but at this point he still has lots to prove. Him joining the AHL could be a good step forward and might help to clarify what his upside might look like. Sorensen put up 43 GP 17 G 17 A 34 PTS in his first season in the AHL but he was 26 at the time. If Lodin can match or exceed that production at a younger age then it will be a good sign.
Was a different league back then, much higher scoring league this year. Leading scorer in the whole league had 50 points in 49 games and there were 2 guys point per game, this year there are already 8 guys with over 50 points, and 15 guys who are a point per game.

Hard to compare the leagues over the years, but if he turned into a Sorensen we’d be thrilled. He’s definitely jumped back into the prospect radar this year after the disaster that was last season.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Sogaard in goal today for Esbjerg who lost 3-2 in OT. This is the quarter finals of the Danish league the series is tied 3-3

Reactions: Icelevel

R2010

May 23, 2011
Sogaard in goal today for Esbjerg who lost 3-2 in OT. This is the quarter finals of the Danish league the series is tied 3-3

Obviously I'd like to see him win but if they lose I suppose he heads over here.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Obviously I'd like to see him win but if they lose I suppose he heads over here.

The other 3 series matchups all ended 4-0, the winners were the 1, 2 and 4 seeds Esbjerg is the 3rd seed.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

This is what he said a month ago.
“I hope to hear something going into summer,” said Novak, who is second in team scoring with six goals and 13 points in 14 games and a plus two. “Whatever’s best for my hockey career. I want to go to the next level. I want to go pro and if that’s the next step, I’m all for it. I also think school’s huge for me and I have one year left and it’s such a prestigious (program) and I’m doing well. There’s no rush at all. I can wait for my fourth year and go play pro.”
Windsor's Novak once again nominated for top player award in NCAA Division I men's hockey | Windsor Star

He spoke very highly the program he is in. For him to enter the transfer portal that seems like it was the Sens recommendation. I would guess that he would be leaving the ACHA for one of Big Ten, Hockey East or NCHC. Considering this seems like purely a move to help his hockey career I wouldn't be surprised if UND is the target.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is what he said a month ago.

Windsor's Novak once again nominated for top player award in NCAA Division I men's hockey | Windsor Star

He spoke very highly the program he is in. For him to enter the transfer portal that seems like it was the Sens recommendation. I would guess that he would be leaving the ACHA for one of Big Ten, Hockey East or NCHC. Considering this seems like purely a move to help his hockey career I wouldn't be surprised if UND is the target.
Wouldn’t be the Sens recommendation, he can walk to UFA now should he want to after the school year is done. Likely just parting ways.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is bad news is it not? Won't he have to sit a year?

You'd think if the Sens were serious about this guy they'd sign him and loan him somewhere he can play. That's if he couldn't make the AHL right away.
Won’t have to sit a year where he is in the final year of his degree, same as what Baillagreon did for us.

If the Sens were intent on signing him, he’d likely have been signed. Only so many contracts, makes sense to move on.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Wouldn’t be the Sens recommendation, he can walk to UFA now should he want to after the school year is done. Likely just parting ways.
His rights don't expire until August 22nd, 2022 according to Capfriendly. I am not sure where you are getting that he can walk to UFA from. Also if him and the organization were parting ways then he would likely finish the program he is in which he speaks so highly about.

Unless of course if you are aware of something I am not.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His rights don't expire until August 22nd, 2022 according to Capfriendly. I am not sure where you are getting that he can walk to UFA from. Also if him and the organization were parting ways then he would likely finish the program he is in which he speaks so highly about.

Unless of course if you are aware of something I am not.
Yes, that means he can walk to UFA, same thing Schultz did, after his season is done.

Burgess did the same thing transferring in his 4th season and isn’t going to get a contract, Robbie Baillagreon did the same thing for his final season and never got a contract, this kind of thing happens all the time. If we were intent on signing him, he’d be signed like Crookshank was. There was no chance the Sens would allow Crookshank to head back for a 4th year, because they would be afraid of him walking to another team.

NCAA drafted players going back for a 4th season means they don’t want to sign with the team that drafted them and want to use the NCAA loophole that Schultz, Vesey and Wheeler did, or the team isn’t intent on signing them. Or, it means the NHL team isn’t intent on signing them.

That’s the reason that the Flames had to trade Fox away, he was going to return for a 4th season and walk, the Flames had to trade him so they never lost him for nothing.

Nobody since Gryba, Blood, Sdao and Wideman (drafted out of NCAA) drafted in 06’, 07' and 09' has played 4 NCAA years and revived a contract from the Sens, and he will have been 2 years younger than Novak will be.

If management want to sign an NCAA player, they will be offered a contract after their 3rd year at the latest, almost always. Now, with so many prospects coming at the same time, there isn’t really room for a 23 year old with a so-so career in a bad NCAA division. They need the contract space.

Could they sign him after a 4th season? Absolutely. Letting a guy get to his 4th season usually means they are not looking at signing him.

Over the next year or so, the Sens need contract space for:

Pinto
JBD
Sanderson
Kleven
Soogard
Jarventie
Lodin
Daoust
Guenette

Not much room for Novak

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Yes, that means he can walk to UFA, same thing Schultz did, after his season is done.

Burgess did the same thing transferring in his 4th season and isn’t going to get a contract, Robbie Baillagreon did the same thing for his final season and never got a contract, this kind of thing happens all the time. If we were intent on signing him, he’d be signed like Crookshank was. There was no chance the Sens would allow Crookshank to head back for a 4th year, because they would be afraid of him walking to another team.

NCAA drafted players going back for a 4th season means they don’t want to sign with the team that drafted them and want to use the NCAA loophole that Schultz, Vesey and Wheeler did, or the team isn’t intent on signing them. Or, it means the NHL team isn’t intent on signing them.

That’s the reason that the Flames had to trade Fox away, he was going to return for a 4th season and walk, the Flames had to trade him so they never lost him for nothing.

Nobody since Gryba, Blood, Sdao and Wideman (drafted out of NCAA) drafted in 06’, 07' and 09' has played 4 NCAA years and revived a contract from the Sens, and he will have been 2 years younger than Novak will be.

If management want to sign an NCAA player, they will be offered a contract after their 3rd year at the latest, almost always. Now, with so many prospects coming at the same time, there isn’t really room for a 23 year old with a so-so career in a bad NCAA division. They need the contract space.

Could they sign him after a 4th season? Absolutely. Letting a guy get to his 4th season usually means they are not looking at signing him.

Over the next year or so, the Sens need contract space for:

Pinto
JBD
Sanderson
Kleven
Soogard
Jarventie
Lodin
Daoust
Guenette

Not much room for Novak
Ok that clarifies things. Thanks. This is what Dorion said on TSN1200 a few days ago:
He was asked "Do you anticipate adding any other of your reserve list players?"

They talked about a few others players like Soogaard, Lodin, Jarventie and Engstrand first and then:

Dorion: "There is a few other guys, in the college ranks, that depending how their status is. But for Angus, in watching him, I have to admit I didn't see him live this year, watching how his growth curve had really, significantly grown, we just felt that at this point in time he had nothing left to prove to play college hockey. We don't like to take players out a year before they are going to be done, but his situation for him to be the best NHL player, and with his scoring ability and how harder he has become as an offensive player we felt it was probably time for him to step into Belleville next year."
Dorion: All three of Sanderson, Pinto and Bernard-Docker are very close to the NHL

He wasn't asked about the other college players directly so he brought it up by himself. He also mentioned that they don't like to take players out a year before they are done but made an exception for Crookshank. That interview was on the 19th and now we hear about Novak entering the transfer portal. Maybe the organization isn't planning on signing him but he is a 2 time Hobey Baker nominee. They might still consider him a prospect and maybe worth considering giving a contract to.

I think Novak's recent comments about his program suggest he really likes the program he is in. With him entering the transfer portal I could see it as a possibility that the organization wants to see more to be convinced he is worth an ELC and Novak felt his best way to demonstrate that was at a different school.

But like you said the Sens have plenty of prospects so they might be more selective about who they want to give a contract to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad