Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Didn’t the this thread hit 1000 posts let’s create a new one die out after the big update a few years ago?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The “most excited our euro scouts have ever been”
Ostberg be like
tenor.gif

R2010

May 23, 2011
Feeling pretty good we'll find one starter at least.

Tier 1 goalie prospects:
Sogaard / Daccord

Tier 2
Gustavsson

Tier 3
Mandolese / Meriläinen

R2010

May 23, 2011
How is Sogaard in the same tier as Daccord and a tier above Gustavsson ... he'll have to go thru the paces too

Highly athletic 6'7 goalie. Highest *potential* upside of the goalies. He can make saves that very few goalies in any league will be able to make. We'll see how likely he is to achieve that upside. Athletically incredible but technique is not great. We'll see.

R2010

May 23, 2011
You're sleeping on Mandolese. He was goalie of the year in the QMJHL and as a 20 year old has a .919 save percentage in his first pro games, behind an atrocious AHL defence.

Could be. He looked better than I was expecting based on last year in the game the other night.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Years ago HF had prospect ratings that graded each player with potential. Does anyone know if there are any sites with something similar?

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Ridly Grieg with 0 points, 8 penalty minutes and a -4 in today's game. Unsportsmanlike, roughing, roughing, and roughing. Looks like we've picked up quite the fireplug here.
I don’t know if a fireplug is a real thing or not but I love it. A mix of a firecracker and a spark plug.

But 4 minors and a -4? I don’t know if we should be celebrating that

OperationHotMother

Dec 22, 2006
I don’t know if a fireplug is a real thing or not but I love it. A mix of a firecracker and a spark plug.

But 4 minors and a -4? I don’t know if we should be celebrating that
Made me doubt myself enough that I had to confirm with google --

fire·plug
/ˈfī(ə)rˌpləɡ/
noun
noun: fireplug; plural noun: fireplugs
  1. US
    a hydrant for a fire hose.
    • informal•North American
      a short, stocky person, especially an athlete.
      "a feisty fireplug who played six seasons as a league catcher"

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You're sleeping on Mandolese. He was goalie of the year in the QMJHL and as a 20 year old has a .919 save percentage in his first pro games, behind an atrocious AHL defence.

I was going to say that. I was always more impressed with Mandolese in my viewings (including 2018 rookie camp) but I gotta say Gustavsson did pretty well last night. Sens played good defensively (home game) but still looked much better than when I saw him play in NA. Great news, maybe back to legit prospect status.

Sogaard, Daccord, Mandolese, Gustavsson, Merilainen... we have a great goalie pipeline.

No idea how long Murray is going to be there but a 26 y/o goalie that already had a lot of success in the AHL and NHL can't be a bad thing as a stop gap. I'm sure he'll be fine when we fix our defensive game on the road (hopefully by next season)

Still, Sens can afford to expose Murray to the Seattle expansion. His salary should get him unclaimed. There's going to be a lot of goalie options for them anyway

If he doesn't get claimed :

2021-22 : Murray/Daccord with Mandolese, Gustavsson "pushing" in the AHL and Sogaard, Merilainen still developping

If he gets claimed, do we go Daccord/Gustavsson?

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would be nice to see him in the SHL for sure, will head straight to Belleville it seems

Producing similarly to Lavoie, albeit being younger in his first year pro and first year big ice.

3 of the top 5 scorers in the league play for Timra, they're a powerhouse in the 2nd division and Lodin has been a great secondary scorer for them, and has come on very strong in 2021

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Would be nice to see him in the SHL for sure, will head straight to Belleville it seems

Producing similarly to Lavoie, albeit being younger in his first year pro and first year big ice.

3 of the top 5 scorers in the league play for Timra, they're a powerhouse in the 2nd division and Lodin has been a great secondary scorer for them, and has come on very strong in 2021
Marcus Sorensen might be a decent benchmark to calibrate point production in HockeyAllsvenskan to the NHL.
Marcus Sörensen at eliteprospects.com
At the same age Sorensen point production was 43 GP 13 G 17 A 30 PTS

In 5 more games Lodin has 1 more goal, 9 more assists and 10 more points. Sorensen didn't join the AHL.NHL until he was 26 and he has been around a 20 to 30 point player. He was on loan to HockeyAllsvenskan to start this year and put up 14 GP 11 G 13 A 24 PTS since the NHL season has started his production is 18 GP 1 G 2 A 3 PTS.

It isn't a perfect way to calibrate but it does provide some insight into how production in that league compares. Lodin could end up more productive at the NHL level but at this point he still has lots to prove. Him joining the AHL could be a good step forward and might help to clarify what his upside might look like. Sorensen put up 43 GP 17 G 17 A 34 PTS in his first season in the AHL but he was 26 at the time. If Lodin can match or exceed that production at a younger age then it will be a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->