Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion V - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'm starting to think salary/cash flow is the major concern for the Bruins, than cap hits and cap room are.
The Bruins only have 67m in salaries this season and they seem risk averse in adding more.
The scary thing is that they already have 50m in salary committed for 2021-2022 and only 11/23 roster spots on the books.
I'm sure years ago JJ was one of the owners who did not want a cap floor.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’m honestly just hoping Kase plays more than 40 games and produces. I just always hold my breath when the dude has the puck, his head is down like 90% of the time. He’s one green light hit away from a statistic.
Similar to Lindros.

Have to assume some unexpected growth from youth. Studnicka Carlo Gryzlek Frederic. Someone will surprise us

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I find people are super one sided when talking about Krug. “He’s bad defensively” - I mean, sure, he’s not great defensively... but then when you bring up the offense it’s “wELl tHeY wErE mOsTly PP pOInTS!”

I think people completely undervalue the fact that he’s an elite power play guy, and makes it that much more lethal.

McAvoy is the next best d-man offensively, and then there’s an absolute cliff to the next.
The power play won them games n the regular season and when the games weren't called as tight and they didn't get as many power plays in the playoffs they were done because they are not built to score ugly goals by crashing the net and getting rebounds.

Now they won't have as good a power play and the defense looks like something from a Lovecraftian nightmare. Matt Grzelyk us not suddenly going to be a power play threat, Carlo isn't going to suddenly find his offensive game, Zboril is not the Norris candidate some seem to think he is going to suddenly turn into. I like the grit in the D but they are not a top 20 NHL defense right now, even as McAvoy starts to become a real Norris threat.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I’m honestly just hoping Kase plays more than 40 games and produces. I just always hold my breath when the dude has the puck, his head is down like 90% of the time. He’s one green light hit away from a statistic.

Everyone does. They didn't give up a 1st rounder for Kase to be a checker. If he doesn't find the back of the net expect more musical chairs at RW.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
We won a lot of games because of of special teams last year. We lost our PP QB and we might loose our best penalty killing D man.

I think that's a good point. I'm a little less concerned about the PP and Krug's loss because I think Gryz is really underrated and McAvoy is a high-end offensive guy in his own right, but losing Chara on the PK could be huge, especially when you look at the guys replacing him.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Question. Do you know if the team is paying the money or is it the insurance company? Thanks
Insurance companies are ruthless by nature I’m guessing team - you think fans are skeptical

I know MLB teams couldn’t insure some of those huge contracts - the premiums were so steep it didn’t make sense

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think that's a good point. I'm a little less concerned about Krug because I think Gryz is really underrated, but losing Chara on the PK could be huge, especially when you look at the guys replacing him.
Agree on Grzelcyk

Chara fate was sealed in that Bubble Carolina game when down 2-0 at beginning of third period they stapled him to bench and over next 12 minutes outshot Carolina like 15-0 and scored 4 goals

also similar dominance game 5 Vs Tampa when they benched him in second period and took over game

i

Reactions: bbfan419

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
No,that kid is long gone
Voyer had great stats but most everyone in that league does.
However, I think he should have been drafted, they signed a Dman too around the same time who I'm even more perplexed why he was passed over twice
Brady Lyle
I guess we'll see how they pan out
Thank You Eric!

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Just forget the what ifs and say things are not going to improve enough to make any significant value add now.

All rfa's that could of helped are now gone and the Bruins have really nothing to trade that other teams are truly interested in.

I think this year we have a bleak outlook.

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think that's a good point. I'm a little less concerned about the PP and Krug's loss because I think Gryz is really underrated and McAvoy is a high-end offensive guy in his own right, but losing Chara on the PK could be huge, especially when you look at the guys replacing him.

It's funny but I see the opposite. I think Lauzon and Zboril can be good penalty killers, it may well be the only thing Zboril will be good at.

We have very different views on Grzelyk, I just don't see any offensive production, it's not like he has shown sparks or even brief periods that people cling to while over evaluating some prospects (Heinen and Bjork). McAvoy has high end offensive potential, you could see it in college and in glimpses so far in the pros. I don't expect him to be as good as Krug on the power play however.

Between Carlo, Lauzon and Zboril I think the PK will be OK. I would prefer Chara over Zboril but JJ is counting pennies as always so I don't expect to see him.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Gonna be a rough year. Injuries, losing Krug and Chara. Young guys trying to step up which hasn't worked well in the past when they tried. Still missing a second line winger and now a LHD.. This doesn't feel like a playoff team to me

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Gonna be a rough year. Injuries, losing Krug and Chara. Young guys trying to step up which hasn't worked well in the past when they tried. Still missing a second line winger and now a LHD.. This doesn't feel like a playoff team to me

Haven’t lost Chara yet. I feel like these posts happen every year. Until I see it, I don’t believe it.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I wonder if Nick Ritchie will come into camp in the best shape of his career, feeling better than he ever has, and having worked on his skating exhaustively.

Reactions: HustleB

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
I think the most frustrating part of the offseasons are when everyone discusses over and over the details of this team when it all comes back around to the point. The point is that this is a great team with talent, goaltending, youth and vets. Yes they will challenge and make the playoffs. Yes they will win one, two maybe even three rounds but until they fix the second line holes they will fail to win the ultimate prize and then sit there and do nothing next year to fix the hole until the core is gone and we can remember the days when we only had a hole or two to fill.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Insurance companies are ruthless by nature I’m guessing team - you think fans are skeptical

I know MLB teams couldn’t insure some of those huge contracts - the premiums were so steep it didn’t make sense
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad