Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion V - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Let Chara wander off into the sunset. He was a really good player but the emphasis is on was.

Boston cannot afford the luxury of using him as a 5th or 6th defenseman, they need a top 4 left handed D with an offensive touch for the PP.

Unfortunately the latter will likely not happen.
I think he’s gone but who knows - today seems like the day we find out I would think

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Kuhlman is the literal definition of JAG. You don't know what ZS is yet.

Well Kuhlman was the player being used by Cassidy
in both the 2019 and 2020 PO, so if Kuhlman got the
nod in consecutive years PO's, seems like Kuhlman
to Cassidy was ahead on the depth chart like I said.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It's arguable, but Doughty has way better skating way better puck handling , Chara has way better size but that's not really a skill. If it wasn't for his reach Chara would have been retired years ago.

Who cares if it's not a skill. It's a physical gift and it's what seperates him from guys like Doughty. To take that away from him is like me saying Drew Doughty without his skating is just a 2nd pairing defensemen. Or Sidney Crosby without the hard working attidude is just an average player. It doesn't work like that. Prime Chara historically is one of the best in his own zone of all time and that prime lasted a long time. Doughty seems to have slipped hard already.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Prime Chara was getting around 50 points a season and arguably the best defensive dman of all time as well as being an intimidating force. You're saying Drew Doughty was better? Check yourself.

Pretty sure he means today with that list.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Zboril played his offside as much as Lauzon did in Providence.

Yeah, I’ve seen him on his off-side in Providence, it just seems like an extra challenge he could do without. He still struggles with his decision making IMO. I prefer the idea of playing him with Miller. He gets the benefit of that steady presence and veteran leadership, but you’re not asking him to make breakouts or keep pucks in on his backhand.

Reactions: wintersej

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm sorry man, if you don't see that the game has passed him by I don't know what to tell you. You must be the only guy on the planet that thinks Chara is still a top 5 Dman.

Even Chara knows that he's not .

Based on his stats last year he was a top 5 d man+/- - you continue to ignore this fact. Based on that, I do believe is he would help any team be better including the bruins.

BTW we very much don't agree the game "passed him by". He isn't the dominant player he once was but he's obviously still very effective.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
My opinion is Z would be signed by now if he was resigning. I think he stays out there for a month to see how the season unfolds before announcing his retirement

Reactions: JOKER 192

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Chara will go down as one of the top 5 defensemen in Bruins history with Orr, Shore, Park and Bourque.

To say Drew Doughty was ever better than a prime Chara is silly. Doughty is/was a great defenseman and a sure fire Hall of Famer but he was not Chara in his prime.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I still don’t have a problem with Moore at all. Played with a shoulder that required surgery and played with it

Toronto & even Tampa major f***ed. Up FA signings and overpaid players and needed ass shit loopholes or they would be f***ed

Bruins fans can’t figure out on Twitter lol

dummies

I remember in his first year here when the Defense suffered a few injuries that we were very lucky to have Moore here, as he logged big, quality minutes for a stretch of time.

I think he's a solid 5 on a good team who unfortunately has had some bad luck, health-wise.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Don't forget Chara. The off-season line could read; they lost Krug and Chara and only added Smith.

And the reason the offseason is indisputably a failure is that Sweeney was publicly in on numerous impact players, such as Hall and Hoffman. If ever there was a year to add in the UFA market, it was this one. Talent was fairly deep, prices were relatively low, and terms were short.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And the reason the offseason is indisputably a failure is that Sweeney was publicly in on numerous impact players, such as Hall and Hoffman. If ever there was a year to add in the UFA market, it was this one. Talent was fairly deep, prices were relatively low, and terms were short.
in effect, no it wasn't.....

3/10/20 Effectively killed Free Agent Frenzy, among other issues

Reactions: JOKER 192

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Boston cannot afford the luxury of using him as a 5th or 6th defenseman, they need a top 4 left handed D with an offensive touch for the PP.

Unfortunately the latter will likely not happen.
So if the latter dosent happen then they DO have the luxury of keeping Z.

Removing two of their top 3 D from last year, and the two biggest heart and would players in the organization, is just rolling into the season with a white flag from management.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The+/- thing kinda of a big deal for stats. Take a look at the "D" players grouped in the top 5-10 and convince me they aren't meant to be in the top 10.

It’s an absolutely broken stat that shouldn’t be used for measurement. All it measures is that you were on the ice for a goal for or a goal against. You could have zero to do with the play. How is that a stat to take serious?

Example I like to use to show how dumb this stat is and why it shouldn’t be taken seriously:

a few seasons ago, Carlo received a pass from Krug. He was weak on the pass up the boards and (iirc) Dvorak picked him off, walked in a scored. Everyone on the ice got a minus for this play, despite Carlo being the only reason for the GA.

Hypothetical example:

Clean face off win by Bergeron to McAvoy. He passes over to Chara who launches a bullet and scores. All Bruins get a + but only three of them were really involved in the play. Opposing team all gets a minus.

it’s a broken stat to me. Shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Reactions: JOKER 192 and duffy

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Chara will go down as one of the top 5 defensemen in Bruins history with Orr, Shore, Park and Bourque.

To say Drew Doughty was ever better than a prime Chara is silly. Doughty is/was a great defenseman and a sure fire Hall of Famer but he was not Chara in his prime.

Z's skill set for a man as big as he is? Crazy great athlete that will go down as my second favorite Bruin, the man that brought back respect to the B and traditions of the team I grew up loving.

It will be sad if he doesn't get the send off he deserves for all he's done for Boston. He is an all time great in this city of plenty

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yes, that is the most irrelevant stat of all stats across all sports. FFS

I can give you list of 50 Dmen I would rather have than Chara at this point of his career. Every team has a Dman better than Chara. Even the bottom feeders.

If there are only 50 you can come up with I’d love to have him back. That means he’s a back end #2 :)

Reactions: Over the volcano

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yes, that is the most irrelevant stat of all stats across all sports. FFS

I can give you list of 50 Dmen I would rather have than Chara at this point of his career. Every team has a Dman better than Chara. Even the bottom feeders.
How many of those 50 could they sign today on a team friendly deal? Get er done Sweeney!

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Given the condensed schedule this year, the trade deadline isn't that far off. In a normal year, today would correlate with being a couple of weeks before (American) Thanksgiving. This place is always speculating trade targets around Thanksgiving, so why not now?

Here are the UFA-wingers-to-be that could potentially be available/of interest to the Bruins (it's not a pretty list):
  • Kyle Palmieri
  • Tanner Pearson
  • Alex Iafallo
  • Artem Anisimov

An intriguing name of a guy with a year remaining on his deal playing for a team that'll most likely miss the playoffs? Tomas Hertl. If he can make a full recovery from his knee injury, I'd be very interested. Then again - so would the Sharks, among other teams, I'm sure.

I actually think our forward group will be fine during the regular season. Smith brings 20 goals and gives them a winger in the middle6 you can count on for production. Last year, 3 of the 4 middle6 wingers were all question marks.

I also think there's sort of a tipping point for these things. When you rely on 3 or 4 question marks to make up your secondary scoring they almost always seem to struggle. But when you replace 2 of the 4 with quality NHL'ers, suddenly those question marks start to figure it out and all of a sudden you've got an abundance of scoring depth.

I could see Kase and Bjork both taking that next step this season. Or maybe Studnicka plays too well to not be in the lineup. Point is, any young player is going to be in a good spot this year because he's going to be playing with 2 guys who know what they're doing.

Again, that's my take on the regular season. IMO they have bigger problems with their playoff roster that can't be fixed at the deadline.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I agree completely, Sweeney just cannot make that impact deal that is required.

Now that all good possibilities are gone he might as well just go with what he currently has.

If Debrusk remains inconsistent and Kase does not work out it could be a long season. Plus no PP QB, watch out.

Reactions: duffy

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
The league shouldn’t

one thing for Pastrnak or Kevan Miller but Toronto & Tampa trading for Horton and Gaborik is circumventing the spirit of the rule.

if I owned the Lightning and I was buying out big bad deals like Matt Carle and getting Ryan Callahan (their best player in the 2019 first round loss to Columbus) to retire with back injury I would be firing people

now this mess their GMs (Yzerman included) got them in where their owner assumes millions and gives up 3 assets of varying degrees to circumvent

I laugh as does my HF text group at shit we read posted here

Bruins fans are passionate but many live at the intersection where entitlement and clueless
Question. Do you know if the team is paying the money or is it the insurance company? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad