Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The isles now have like 3.9 mil left in cap space with Barzal yet to sign.
The Isles need to move some salary out to make room for Barzal, no better time than the present to make an offer sheet.

Knock,Knock Donny

There is no way that's happening.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think the problem with the offersheet is the draft pick compensations are too high. The team losing the player almost makes out better then they would at the trade deadline. I would like to see the cost go down on this.

ValueCurrentProposed
$0 - $1,439,820No CompensationNo Compensation
$1,439,821 - $2,181,5451 Third Round Pick1 5th Round pick
$2,181,546 - $4,363,0951 Second Round Pick1 Third Round Pick
$4,363,096 - $6,544,6401 First Round Pick, 1 Third Round Pick1 First Round Pick
$6,544,641 - $8,726,1881 First Round Pick, 1 Second Round Pick, 1 Third Round Pick1 First Round Pick, 1 Second Round Pick
$8,726,189 - $10,907,7352 First Round Picks, 1 Second Round Pick, 1 Third Round Pick2 First Round Picks
$10,907,736 - ∞4 First Round Picks2 First Round Picks, 2 Second Round Picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It should be high otherwise it removes one of the main points of having restricted free agency.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think the problem with the offersheet is the draft pick compensations are too high. The team losing the player almost makes out better then they would at the trade deadline. I would like to see the cost go down on this.

ValueCurrentProposed
$0 - $1,439,820No CompensationNo Compensation
$1,439,821 - $2,181,5451 Third Round Pick1 5th Round pick
$2,181,546 - $4,363,0951 Second Round Pick1 Third Round Pick
$4,363,096 - $6,544,6401 First Round Pick, 1 Third Round Pick1 First Round Pick
$6,544,641 - $8,726,1881 First Round Pick, 1 Second Round Pick, 1 Third Round Pick1 First Round Pick, 1 Second Round Pick
$8,726,189 - $10,907,7352 First Round Picks, 1 Second Round Pick, 1 Third Round Pick2 First Round Picks
$10,907,736 - ∞4 First Round Picks2 First Round Picks, 2 Second Round Picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I actually think it's too low.

Take Barzal for example. Say you put him in the 8.7 - 10 range. I think the Islanders would much rather keep their franchise center and best young player than get a couple 1sts, a 2nd and 3rd. I think if a team legit wants Barzal, you better get that salary in the FOUR 1st rounder range so as to make the compensation worthwhile.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Take Barzal for example. Say you put him in the 8.7 - 10 range. I think the Islanders would much rather keep their franchise center and best young player than get a couple 1sts, a 2nd and 3rd. I think if a team legit wants Barzal, you better get that salary in the FOUR 1st rounder range so as to make the compensation worthwhile.

I'd stop short of calling him a franchise center at this point. He got neutralized in the RTP pretty effectively. A franchise center gets above that and he may get there in the next couple of years. He is a great young player and I don't disagree with the idea that NYI would rather keep him than the compensation package offered in the offer sheet schedule, but at the same time the Barzal story remains unwritten to some degree. Is he Bergeron level franchise good, or is he David Krejci level good? Either are great players to have and it is no knock on MB to think he might be less than franchise when his career level shakes out.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd stop short of calling him a franchise center at this point. He got neutralized in the RTP pretty effectively. A franchise center gets above that and he may get there in the next couple of years. He is a great young player and I don't disagree with the idea that NYI would rather keep him than the compensation package offered in the offer sheet schedule, but at the same time the Barzal story remains unwritten to some degree. Is he Bergeron level franchise good, or is he David Krejci level good? Either are great players to have and it is no knock on MB to think he might be less than franchise when his career level shakes out.

We'll see, I mean more along the lines of he's "their" franchise center. Similar to say Aho in Carolina. Whether either ends up a center on that truly elite tier where you find the likes of Bergeron, Toews, Crosby, etc. we'll shall see. I meant he's more along the lines of the NYI most important player.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

I agree with your thoughts.
I would give up a first/second and third rd pick for Barzal, no problem.
We cannot afford him though, need to move out too much salary.
The proper way to make this move is to get the Cap Space first, IE trade DK, Rask, and or JDB.
As a GM you need to be pretty sure Barzal would want to play in Boston too. He has the right to say " No".

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
We'll see, I mean more along the lines of he's "their" franchise center. Similar to say Aho in Carolina. Whether either ends up a center on that truly elite tier where you find the likes of Bergeron, Toews, Crosby, etc. we'll shall see. I meant he's more along the lines of the NYI most important player.
Who do they trade now to fit him under the cap?

I’m sure there are names they’d LIKE to move, but I also don’t believe they’ll have a willing trade partner for them.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Who do they trade now to fit him under the cap?

I’m sure there are names they’d LIKE to move, but I also don’t believe they’ll have a willing trade partner for them.

They do have a lot of bad contracts (Boychuk, Ladd, even guys like Clutterbuck and Komarov are overpaid). You could probably get Nick Leddy for next to nothing (I think he's somewhat moveable)

Baring Leddy, then it's one of the forwards they don't want to move but have to (Eberle, Bailey, Nelson).

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
They do have a lot of bad contracts (Boychuk, Ladd, even guys like Clutterbuck and Komarov are overpaid). You could probably get Nick Leddy for next to nothing (I think he's somewhat moveable)

Baring Leddy, then it's one of the forwards they don't want to move but have to (Eberle, Bailey, Nelson).
Yeah good catch on Leddy. Some team will likely take him for little more than a song, as his cap hit isn’t awful for what he brings.

So many ugly contracts on that team though. The deal will suck for them regardless.

Reactions: TCB and BruinDust

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Some Bruins fans still think Bergeron and Krejci were the players they were 10 years ago too.

I really noticed a decline in Bergy during the playoffs. Tough to gauge as I know there was a long break, but I thought getting the rest and being 100% healthy would have really helped.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I really noticed a decline in Bergy during the playoffs. Tough to gauge as I know there was a long break, but I thought getting the rest and being 100% healthy would have really helped.

My theory is the older the player the longer it took them to get up to speed in the playoffs. Having an abnormal break, a make-shift training camp, right into meaningful games (even the Round Robin) in the middle of the summer. Didn't help Bergeron's cause.

The guy is 35 going on 36. He's still a heck of a player because he thinks the game so well. But he's not the Bergeron of 3-4 years ago, let alone a decade. The drop-off isn't massive, it's more gradual, but it's there. Which is why I don't think they can do what they used to do which was put a lesser or inexperienced winger with 63/37. I think they need a solid player on their RW.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I agree and noticed that as well. Seemed like every shot he took went wide and he just wasn't the same two-way presence we're used to seeing.

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My theory is the older the player the longer it took them to get up to speed in the playoffs. Having an abnormal break, a make-shift training camp, right into meaningful games (even the Round Robin) in the middle of the summer. Didn't help Bergeron's cause.

The guy is 35 going on 36. He's still a heck of a player because he thinks the game so well. But he's not the Bergeron of 3-4 years ago, let alone a decade. The drop-off isn't massive, it's more gradual, but it's there. Which is why I don't think they can do what they used to do which was put a lesser or inexperienced winger with 63/37. I think they need a solid player on their RW.

I hope that's it. I think the playoffs are generally a young man's game, and Cup champions are usually driven by guys in the mid-20's.

The layoff seemed to rejuvenate Krejci and Pevelski, but each guy is different. Bergeron, Chara and Halak all looked way off their games, and the long layoff seems more plausible than the idea that all three suddenly "declined" at the exact same time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope that's it. I think the playoffs are generally a young man's game, and Cup champions are usually driven by guys in the mid-20's.

The layoff seemed to rejuvenate Krejci and Pevelski, but each guy is different. Bergeron, Chara and Halak all looked way off their games, and the long layoff seems more plausible than the idea that all three suddenly "declined" at the exact same time.

Bottom line for me is the harsh reality is most cup champions aren't carried by guys approaching or into their mid-30s.

The Bruins are an anomaly in a lot of ways in that their best F and best D are under 25 (Pasta/McAvoy) but still have this holdover core approaching (Marchand) or at their mid-30s (Bergeron/Krejci). Not to mention Chara whose an anomaly all to himself. Most teams whose best players are in their mid-20s have long said goodbye to the previous core group. Finding Top 5 overall talents in the mid-to-late 1st round has kept the Bruins competitive whereas we saw LA and Chicago fall off. Pittsburgh too now is starting to show it's age, I'd even say Washington as well to a degree.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Then the Islanders have more incentive to match which in turn forces them to make other moves. I like the fact this gives players more power as RFAs. I think the revenge factor would go away as the use would be far more common. Teams would be targeting rivals in bad cap spots not the team who once offer sheeted one of there guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad