Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
one day you should get out your history book and check out the name martin lapointe and read up on some of the background information what our own professional organization did to make a decesion on whether we were going to poach him from Detroit or not with an above market offer

keep trying... I like your passion and you will learn some of the secrets with more time and effort
lol this could be my favorite burn post in the history of HFBoards even at my own expense. I respect it AOF well played.

Reactions: bbfan419

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Why couldn't he play 3LW? If he turns out to be a better option there than Bjork or Ritchie or whoever, how does that not help him while also helping the team? If his game is ready for the NHL, surely what's best for him is to have a productive role on an NHL roster. He can shift to centre later, as Bergeron did.

I don't know what your definition of "top end talent" is. Is there a team in the NHL that has a top 9 jammed with top end talent?

I think it may be setting Studnicka up to fail, if you are going to not only ask him to play wing (which is an adjustment in itself because it's not his natural position) but off-wing, where even full-time wingers can struggle. Marchand is the best LW in hockey and he struggles on his off-wing. Some guys can do it (like Bjork and Kase who both spent considerable time pre-NHL on their off-wings), but it can be a struggle for some guys.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Good for Miller and I hope he has a successful comeback he's a warrior no doubt about it.

I'm happy for him too. I am assuming Miller has been brought back, in part, to partner with and mentor some of the younger LD options... i.e. Zboril - Miller is going to be a lot safer than Zboril - Clifton. But I hope this doesn't mean the end of Connor Clifton. I hate his nickname but I like his game; fast, physical and plays with moxie.

Reactions: Carlon Brando

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
When the lineup is healthy, Bjork and Ritchie will be on a short leash. If they aren't helping the team the way they should, I think Studnicka should get some reps. When he was inserted in the lineup in the POs, he did not look out of place.

But that raises a bigger question: If there's no place in the top 9 for a promising prospect, can the existing lineup really be as lacking as some claim it is?
unless the prospects aren't really that promising

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I think it may be setting Studnicka up to fail, if you are going to not only ask him to play wing (which is an adjustment in itself because it's not his natural position) but off-wing, where even full-time wingers can struggle. Marchand is the best LW in hockey and he struggles on his off-wing. Some guys can do it (like Bjork and Kase who both spent considerable time pre-NHL on their off-wings), but it can be a struggle for some guys.

Or it may be setting him up to succeed. Only one way to find out. He looked okay playing wing so far.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Why couldn't he play 3LW? If he turns out to be a better option there than Bjork or Ritchie or whoever, how does that not help him while also helping the team? If his game is ready for the NHL, surely what's best for him is to have a productive role on an NHL roster. He can shift to centre later, as Bergeron did.

I don't know what your definition of "top end talent" is. Is there a team in the NHL that has a top 9 jammed with top end talent?

I guess he can play 3LW I just think he should hone his C skills in Providence where he will get more TOI than he would on 3 LW.

Look at top team rosters, they 5-6 players that can be considered top end talent. Look at our 2nd line, that's not top end talent.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm happy for him too. I am assuming Miller has been brought back, in part, to partner with and mentor some of the younger LD options... i.e. Zboril - Miller is going to be a lot safer than Zboril - Clifton. But I hope this doesn't mean the end of Connor Clifton. I hate his nickname but I like his game; fast, physical and plays with moxie.

Meh. Clifton has 3 points in 50 regular season games as an undersized defenseman. He has some great moments, but his shortcomings are clear at other times. A worthwhile depth player, but not much more IMO.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Meh. Clifton has 3 points in 50 regular season games as an undersized defenseman. He has some great moments, but his shortcomings are clear at other times. A worthwhile depth player, but not much more IMO.

it’s so weird he has 3 in 50 then come playoff time he has almost triple that in half as many games lol (8 in 26)

Reactions: wintersej

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Yeah, 50 games is not enough for me. 150 games, maybe. Plus, I like his skillset, he's fast, he seems to step up in big games and he may be "only" 5'11 but he plays big, he hits more than anyone on that defense and he hits hard. If Miller can play the left that pair could be interesting.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I don't know if this was his "approach" so much as what we ended up with.

Sweeney wanted to improve this team. He said it repeatedly leading up to the draft and free agency. If his plan was to go with youth and create cap space for next year then why sign Craig Smith? That was a step towards improving the team, and an upgrade 5on5, but it came at the expense of our best young prospect (Studnicka).

I think Sweeney wanted to improve the defense too. I think he still does, and imagine there will be some movement when the arbitration hearings are done... We'll see.
I agree. I think he signed Smith because we still were active and need players. I just don’t think long term contracts were going to happen unless they were ones he couldnt say no to

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Good for Miller and I hope he has a successful comeback he's a warrior no doubt about it.
If Miller can comeback and be as effective as he was when healthy, he could be the comeback player of the year winner. That would be a great story.

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad