Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
maybe this time Don will get it right
Well I hope if Hoffman is a no go, DS does not make a pressure move and bring in another 4th line player or a washed up defenseman.

We have plenty of overpaid 4th liners and do not need just a warm body to add to the defense.

PP QB or leave the D as is.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well seeing nothing is happening, I am going to speculate that JDB will get a bridge deal in the 3 to 3.75 mil range on a 2 year contract. I think Ryan Strome's contract will very much influence the Bruin's offer.

I would not mind if they could sign either Hoffman or Granlund for around 4 mil and then trade JDB for a potential PP QB. As well, you probably need to get rid of someone like Ritchie, Bjork or a comparable contract to fit under Cap restrictions.

I think this could possibly give the aging core another shot at a legitimate Cup run.

Reactions: bbfan419

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Well seeing nothing is happening, I am going to speculate that JDB will get a bridge deal in the 3 to 3.75 mil range on a 2 year contract. I think Ryan Strome's contract will very much influence the Bruin's offer.

I would not mind if they could sign either Hoffman or Granlund for around 4 mil and then trade JDB for a potential PP QB. As well, you probably need to get rid of someone like Ritchie, Bjork or a comparable contract to fit under Cap restrictions.

I think this could possibly give the aging core another shot at a legitimate Cup run.

I do not think Hoffman would accept anything less than 5 million, he has too many options to settle for 4 million. It will probably be Chara and Jake and we are done. Ritchie and Bjork have no value out there. No one is taking our retreads and maybes.

Reactions: Gordoff

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I do not think Hoffman would accept anything less than 5 million, he has too many options to settle for 4 million. It will probably be Chara and Jake and we are done. Ritchie and Bjork have no value out there. No one is taking our retreads and maybes.
Well we can always dream that something constructive will happen. I personally would prefer Grandlund over Hoffman. Their is probably a discrepancy between what Hoffman thinks he is worth and what teams are actually offering with the flat cap.

Reactions: bbfan419

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
In theory granlund might produce more than bjork... and if cost was equal we might be upgraded

Granlund has peaked and is on decline. For 1 year... sure... but hes not long-term

Basically we are talking 3rd line upgrade.
Shouldnt we just let the kids try?
Save caproom for the deadline

Granlund doesnt move the needle

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
In theory granlund might produce more than bjork... and if cost was equal we might be upgraded

Granlund has peaked and is on decline. For 1 year... sure... but hes not long-term

Basically we are talking 3rd line upgrade.
Shouldnt we just let the kids try?
Save caproom for the deadline

Granlund doesnt move the needle

Granlund could fix our 2RW problem to be honest. Remember that he was traded the same day he had his first child born. Nashville also doesn't somehow have forwards who produce (look at Fiala moving to MIN).

Granlund could be a cheapish gem looking for a long-term home.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Granlund could fix our 2RW problem to be honest. Remember that he was traded the same day he had his first child born. Nashville also doesn't somehow have forwards who produce (look at Fiala moving to MIN).

I don't know that I'd agree with the bolded...

Forsberg and Duchene for their careers have PGP that put them over 60pts per 82 games. Johansen isn't far off at 55pts per 82 games, and he's shown flashes in the past of being able to put up 60+ points.

As for Granlund, the one thing that instantly stands out to me is that his PP produce straight up fell off a cliff. His last 2yr with MIN he had 28 PPP vs just 8 PPP with NSH. In Boston his PP TOI/Looks isn't going to get any better, nor is he going to see 17-18 minutes a night. Just looking at his EV numbers the last 3 years he averages out to a 15G/25A player. I don't think that's going to solve the RW issue and if it would then you already have a 40pt RW in Craig Smith.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

From an analytical standpoint how does it make sense to trade DeBrusk for a defenseman who will be the player taken in the expansion draft. You’d be better off in the long term trading Grezclyk or Carlo for that. We have to protect McAvoy, Carlo, and Grezclyk. If the guy coming in is better then Grezclyk fine, but he better be worth DeBrusk and Grezclyk. Personally I think we should play the kids and possibly sign Chara. The D is what it is unless a value veteran who wants a one year deal falls out of a tree.

Reactions: Gordoff and DBL84

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
From an analytical standpoint how does it make sense to trade DeBrusk for a defenseman who will be the player taken in the expansion draft. You’d be better off in the long term trading Grezclyk or Carlo for that. We have to protect McAvoy, Carlo, and Grezclyk. If the guy coming in is better then Grezclyk fine, but he better be worth DeBrusk and Grezclyk. Personally I think we should play the kids and possibly sign Chara. The D is what it is unless a value veteran who wants a one year deal falls out of a tree.
This is just a suggestion, if you truly want another legitimate shot at a Cup you will have to bolster the roster now. Krecji and Bergeron are definitely on the decline and are often playing injured due to their workload and age.

Otherwise go with your ideas and maybe get a playoff round or two. As far as Chara he has declined too much so you will have to bank on the kids producing.

Reactions: duffy

Bearcrap

Jan 29, 2004
Pembroke
This is just a suggestion, if you truly want another legitimate shot at a Cup you will have to bolster the roster now. Krecji and Bergeron are definitely on the decline and are often playing injured due to their workload and age.

Otherwise go with your ideas and maybe get a playoff round or two. As far as Chara he has declined too much so you will have to bank on the kids producing.
shot at a cup window closed shut two years ago....its rebuild time now

Reactions: duffy

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
shot at a cup window closed shut two years ago....its rebuild time now
I agree, but DS thinks he is going to compete forever without doing a rebuild. I do not believe his mindset is geared towards a team overhaul.

It is going to be a challenge to restock the team as the cupboard is not full of top notch forward prospects. Some ingenuity is going to be required.

Last edited:

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020

I dont think Granlund is what Bruins need, they need a shooter and Hoffman is the man, and i think a second line with Hoffman/Krejci/Kase or Studnikca or Smith can be great, Boston have to many players with the same style...Bjork, Khulman, Seneshyn and i include Kase they are speedy players with no finish...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know that I'd agree with the bolded...

Forsberg and Duchene for their careers have PGP that put them over 60pts per 82 games. Johansen isn't far off at 55pts per 82 games, and he's shown flashes in the past of being able to put up 60+ points.

As for Granlund, the one thing that instantly stands out to me is that his PP produce straight up fell off a cliff. His last 2yr with MIN he had 28 PPP vs just 8 PPP with NSH. In Boston his PP TOI/Looks isn't going to get any better, nor is he going to see 17-18 minutes a night. Just looking at his EV numbers the last 3 years he averages out to a 15G/25A player. I don't think that's going to solve the RW issue and if it would then you already have a 40pt RW in Craig Smith.

I'm not advocating for Granlund but man, the production for all Nashville F last year was dreadful. No one cracked 50 pts. Only two (Forsberg and Duchene) cracked 40. Charlie Coyle would of been their 3rd leading scorer among F. They had eight F between 28 and 36 pts. Only Forsberg cracked 20 goals. Which for a guy like Granlund who historically has a 2:1 Assist to goals ratio, isn't an ideal situation. Ironically his goals-per-game last year was tied for 2nd highest of his career (0.27). While it was his assist numbers that fell off a cliff, which looking at the lack of legit goal scoring talent on his team, doesn't really seem all that surprising now.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Maybe bjork busts out and pops 20 this year. I think that's what donny thinking.

Problem is he’s pinned his hopes on that happening with someone who couldn’t do it for the past 5 seasons.

Connolly in 15/16.

Spooner in 16/17

Heinen in 17/18 and 18/19

Heinen or Bjork in 19/20.

Now we’re being asked to expect Bjork to do it in 20/21?

I won’t hold my breath.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Problem is he’s pinned his hopes on that happening with someone who couldn’t do it for the past 5 seasons.

Connolly in 15/16.

Spooner in 16/17

Heinen in 17/18 and 18/19

Heinen or Bjork in 19/20.

Now we’re being asked to expect Bjork to do it in 20/21?

I won’t hold my breath.
Hes still young lots of talent. He might surprise

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm not advocating for Granlund but man, the production for all Nashville F last year was dreadful. No one cracked 50 pts. Only two (Forsberg and Duchene) cracked 40. Charlie Coyle would of been their 3rd leading scorer among F. They had eight F between 28 and 36 pts. Only Forsberg cracked 20 goals. Which for a guy like Granlund who historically has a 2:1 Assist to goals ratio, isn't an ideal situation. Ironically his goals-per-game last year was tied for 2nd highest of his career (0.27). While it was his assist numbers that fell off a cliff, which looking at the lack of legit goal scoring talent on his team, doesn't really seem all that surprising now.

Boston wasn't much better if you take out the Bergeron line.

-Only Krejci cracked 40pts
-No one had 20+ goals

As for not having legit goal scoring talent on his team, Granlund's top TOI line-mates were Forsberg and Duchene....the teams top two producing forwards. Both guys also for their career are 25 to 30 goals scorers.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Boston wasn't much better if you take out the Bergeron line.

-Only Krejci cracked 40pts
-No one had 20+ goals

As for not having legit goal scoring talent on his team, Granlund's top TOI line-mates were Forsberg and Duchene....the teams top two producing forwards. Both guys also for their career are 25 to 30 goals scorers.

And their numbers were way down from previous years. Duchene had 27 in 50 games with Ottawa a year ago, last year just 13. Forsberg's goal scoring was down by 30%. My comment was specific to LAST YEAR's production team wide, had nothing to do with "legit goal scoring talent" or what these guys have done historically. My point is the entire group of forwards had bad offensive years, which to me is systemic issue rather than an individual one.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
And their numbers were way down from previous years. Duchene had 27 in 50 games with Ottawa a year ago, last year just 13. Forsberg's goal scoring was down by 30%. My comment was specific to LAST YEAR's production team wide, had nothing to do with "legit goal scoring talent" or what these guys have done historically. My point is the entire group of forwards had bad offensive years, which to me is systemic issue rather than an individual one.

I already pointed out in my previous post how outside of the Bergeron line, Boston wasn't much better. If Granlund's issue is not having goal scorers around him then Boston is a bad landing spot. We've been trying to find a goal scorer for Krejci RW for 5+ years now.

Reactions: BruinDust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad