Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I know, but they did reach the finals twice and also won a cup in 2011 with deadline deals. There will always be teams willing to gamble for that piece that could put them over the top. Nothing is guaranteed for any team of course, but as a GM if your team is a player or two away from a legit chance, I think you have to go for it, especially for a late first rounder.
I hope that should the Bruins decide to trade Krecji at the deadline that he would at least fetch a late 1st. rounder and maybe an additional prospect. They could sure use the assets.

I guess we will just have to wait and see, due to the unknown regarding the NHL start date if at all, number of games to be played, players/management issues, bubble, etc. . Hopefully some sort of positive negotiations will be conducted this week so we have a commitment regarding the season's plans.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I hope that should the Bruins decide to trade Krecji at the deadline that he would at least fetch a late 1st. rounder and maybe an additional prospect. They could sure use the assets.

I guess we will just have to wait and see, due to the unknown regarding the NHL start date if at all, number of games to be played, players/management issues, bubble, etc. . Hopefully some sort of positive negotiations will be conducted this week so we have a commitment regarding the season's plans.
True, who knows if there will be a season at all or if it does start and players become infected, will they stop the season? Hopefully there will be a season, even a shortened one is better than nothing.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Would you do...

Moore, Vaak and a 1st
for
Ekman-Larsson with $2.5m retained.

I look at it as Vaak for Ekman-Larsson, and a 1st for them to take on Moore. Plus, they could use Moore as insurance because 5 of their 6 remaining defensemen are UFA's at the end of the year. We add $3m which puts us at the cap, they shed $3m which gets them just under the cap.

Marchand - Bergy - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - Kase
Bjork - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
OEL - Carlo
Lauzon - Clifton

Does OEL make the B's a contender? Enough to lose one of DeBrusk/Gryz to Seattle in the expansion draft?

AZ wouldn't go for the retention.

Moore + Vaak + 1st for OEL at the TDL this season?

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
We gotta stop trading our 1st rounders at the deadline. Specifically this season when we could have had the likes of Hall, Hoffman, Taffoli, Dadanov, etc for free.

Think back to our latest homerun hits in the 1st round.......Pasta and McAvoy. To a smaller degree Debrusk. That's 3 players that jumped in right away and were difference makers. Unless its a no brainer and player X has term left, we gotta stop handing out 1st rounders like they're chocolates.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
AZ wouldn't go for the retention.

Moore + Vaak + 1st for OEL at the TDL this season?

I don’t think I want OEL without the retention. He’s 29 and signed for 7 more years at $8.25. I think that contract becomes unmovable at age 32. Even if he’s playing well at 31, he’ll be in that age range where you never know if next year is the year he falls apart, and with 3-4 years to go at $8.25 it would be a big risk. Full NMC so you can’t trade him or buy him out. To be honest, I’m not sure he’s worth $8.25 right now, AZ fans say his game has slipped, but at $6m I think he can be good value for awhile.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would you do...

Moore, Vaak and a 1st
for
Ekman-Larsson with $2.5m retained.

I look at it as Vaak for Ekman-Larsson, and a 1st for them to take on Moore. Plus, they could use Moore as insurance because 5 of their 6 remaining defensemen are UFA's at the end of the year. We add $3m which puts us at the cap, they shed $3m which gets them just under the cap.

Marchand - Bergy - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - Kase
Bjork - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
OEL - Carlo
Lauzon - Clifton

Does OEL make the B's a contender? Enough to lose one of DeBrusk/Gryz to Seattle in the expansion draft?

I don't think they can afford to do that.

Think about it this way:

If they made that move they are now out:

2017 1st rounder - Vaak

2018 1st rounder - Nash deal

2018 2nd rounder - Axel Andersson in Backes deal

2019 2nd rounder - Johansson deal

2020 1st rounder - Backes deal

2021/22 1st rounder

So let's assume the 1st rounder is a 2022 pick. Now your out 4 out of 6 1st round picks, and 2 out of 6 2nd rounders from the past 6 drafts, essentially one half of your total, or an average of one Top 60 pick gone per year.

This from a franchise that has only had 14 picks in the past 3 drafts total, and has gone all-in on longer-term prospects by heavily dipping into the USHL/NCAA prospect pool.

And without or without OEL, they are going to lose a decent player to Seattle, no two ways about it.

At some point the Bruins have to stop mortgaging the future so they can hopefully take advantage of having Pasta and McAvoy in their primes in ages 25-28. From my vantage point the past 3 drafts due to the lack of picks and honestly some of the players chosen (specifically ignoring the CHL), are going to create a gap in the prospect pool down the road. After stockpiling picks for the 2015 draft, the Sweeney administration has traded away a quite a number of draft picks, young players and prospects either on rental players or to shed bad contracts.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't think they can afford to do that.

Think about it this way:

If they made that move they are now out:

2017 1st rounder - Vaak

2018 1st rounder - Nash deal

2018 2nd rounder - Axel Andersson in Backes deal

2019 2nd rounder - Johansson deal

2020 1st rounder - Backes deal

2021/22 1st rounder

So let's assume the 1st rounder is a 2022 pick. Now your out 4 out of 6 1st round picks, and 2 out of 6 2nd rounders from the past 6 drafts, essentially one half of your total, or an average of one Top 60 pick gone per year.

This from a franchise that has only had 14 picks in the past 3 drafts total, and has gone all-in on longer-term prospects by heavily dipping into the USHL/NCAA prospect pool.

And without or without OEL, they are going to lose a decent player to Seattle, no two ways about it.

At some point the Bruins have to stop mortgaging the future so they can hopefully take advantage of having Pasta and McAvoy in their primes in ages 25-28. From my vantage point the past 3 drafts due to the lack of picks and honestly some of the players chosen (specifically ignoring the CHL), are going to create a gap in the prospect pool down the road. After stockpiling picks for the 2015 draft, the Sweeney administration has traded away a quite a number of draft picks, young players and prospects either on rental players or to shed bad contracts.

The cynic will say what good are 1st round picks to this regime, considering who they've taken... Fwiw I agree with you and personally would have started tweaking the core this summer to try to get younger and re-stock the cupboard, but maybe that's foolish of me, or premature to dismantle a President's Trophy winner. I can see that side of the argument and I think that's the side Sweeney is on. I think he wants to improve this team, the Smith signing is proof of that. And you know he's going to make a deadline deal, which will be more futures out... I don't know if it will be a 1st, but if they need a top4 D it isn't going to be any cheaper at the deadline.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
teams that have 4 playoff wins in the last 2 seasons and were the league regular season champs as recently as last season... will still be trying to extend their window

sorry boys and girls... lets be real here

this doubles down when your very best players are 30 plus guys like marchand/bergeron/rask and even krejci

sure its nice we got kiddos pastrnak and mcavoy coming along... but stack them up against the next 20 teams in the nhl and they all got at least 2 comparables themselves. maybe things work for us in 4-5 years and we will still be competing but the likely reality is we aint going to find another bergeron/chara this decade. these are special guys we have enjoyed here. i wish actually, a few of you would show a little more gratitude for just how well youve had it as bruin fans being able to watch these guys

anyhow... there is a cap to manage. the cap will serve as reality number 1 as it always does when we are trying to get over the top

theres also a covid thing going on that might be hurting ownerships pocketbook... n0t sure about that

theres also just many many many many magic recipes to make stanley cup soup and some come close without getting over the top because THERE IS COMPETITION FOR THE SILVER PRIZE

yes... each year there are going to be more than a small handful of teams that reach the playoffs and there will be 'experts' predicting each of these handful of teams has done 'enough' to win

not everyone wins. if theres 7 teams that get love in vegas as potential winners... 6 are still going to end up losers.

aint no way in hell anyone can know in the offseason whether any team has done the magic to guarantee themselves a cup. sorry geniuses you can all show us your predictions of how things will finish this year but you are all going to be wrong wrong and more wrong

the games must be played

if you want to bet against a team... any team... you will look like a genius more often than not. i can predict tampa wont win the cup for the next 20 years and i will be right at least 18 times bank it.

betting against a team winning is just going to make you right alot of the time

but someone wins
being in the hunt... having a hope... thats all anyone can be promised
weve been in the hunt... weve given fans like me a hope... and i thank the hockey gods im a bruin fan

this year... i expect i will be getting more hope... and honestly smart money says i will be getting more hope the next season too. our window is still open.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I follow Swayman on Instagram. Guy does a lot of fishing in Alaska and has some unreal pictures. Anyways I noticed today that he was in Boston. Are both sides close to an agreement? Not sure why else Swayman would have flown from Alaska to Boston

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I follow Swayman on Instagram. Guy does a lot of fishing in Alaska and has some unreal pictures. Anyways I noticed today that he was in Boston. Are both sides close to an agreement? Not sure why else Swayman would have flown from Alaska to Boston
Swayman already signed his entry level deal

Rumor now is they are discussing 26 man rosters instead of 23. Easier to keep Zboril and Senny and not expose them to waivers.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Swayman already signed his entry level deal

Rumor now is they are discussing 26 man rosters instead of 23. Easier to keep Zboril and Senny and not expose them to waivers.

Sorry, when I said they I meant NHL and NHLPA. If so then guys maybe coming back to start getting ready to start things up

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins retained Peter Cehlarik

he’s playing in SEL

as of Monday

leads SEL the top Sweden League in goals (12)

fourth in points (21 in 20 games)

third in shots (70)

and get this

13th in BLOCKED SHOTS??? (16)

he is under contract and won’t be coming over but Bruins own his rights

he is not a Cassidy fan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

he’s playing in SEL

as of Monday

third in shots (70)

and get this

he is not a Cassidy fan

As the article says, that's a good thing. Increasing his trade value.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

he’s playing in SEL

as of Monday

third in shots (70)

and get this

he is not a Cassidy fan

grrrrrrrr

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events