Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Pacioretty would be great, but it'd have to be a pretty complicated trade and I don't trust Sweeney to make it work. If he does get traded, I'm sure that reports will come out how Bruins were also in on him and were close to getting him as per usual whenever there's a big name on the market.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Bruins retained Peter Cehlarik

he’s playing in SEL

as of Monday

leads SEL the top Sweden League in goals (12)

fourth in points (21 in 20 games)

third in shots (70)

and get this

13th in BLOCKED SHOTS??? (16)

he is under contract and won’t be coming over but Bruins own his rights

he is not a Cassidy fan

I saw all his goals this season in SHL. I also saw his last game. He could have scored 2 more goals in that game. The biggest difference is his confidence. In his last stint under Cassidy he was a turnover machine that could barely make a clear pass. The guy I saw this season is scoring with his wrist shot, slap shot, making clear passes and forcing turnovers just by himself. His days in the Bruins jersery however are over.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I saw all his goals this season in SHL. I also saw his last game. He could have scored 2 more goals in that game. The biggest difference is his confidence. In his last stint under Cassidy he was a turnover machine that could barely make a clear pass. The guy I saw this season is scoring with his wrist shot, slap shot, making clear passes and forcing turnovers just by himself. His days in the Bruins jersery however are over.
Confidence is like gasoline to a car

without it everything’s a challenge and eventually failure

He doesn’t appear in the plans so if a team is interested I hope the Bruins move him

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If we deal with Vegas, guys like Pacioretty, Martinez and Marchessault would be very good additions, but the guy I would like most is Alex Tuch. Maybe we send Moore as part of it for salary reasons, but if Vegas still needs to shed more salary what about Halak for Fleury as part of the deal?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Confidence is like gasoline to a car

without it everything’s a challenge and eventually failure

He doesn’t appear in the plans so if a team is interested I hope the Bruins move him

Dropping down a level or two in terms of caliber of competition can do wonders for the confidence level of a athlete. The hope being that confidence level will eventually translate to the higher level of competition. We see that tactic employed in baseball all the time when a guy is really struggling at the plate.

Confidence at the NHL level has been the great separator for hockey players becoming legit NHL full-timers vs. fringe-level/AHL players. They say confidence is half the battle but in pro sports I'd wager it's 90%.

It's why you need to be careful with some prospects as for some if you kill their confidence at the NHL level they never get it back.

Reactions: Blowfish and DKH

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
NBC SPORTS: Adam Gretz took note of TSN’s reporting the Vegas Golden Knights could consider trading Max Pacioretty. He points out only seven teams – “Florida, Columbus, Detroit, Ottawa, Nashville, Los Angeles, and New Jersey” – have sufficient salary-cap space to absorb the winger’s $7 million annual cap hit.

Vegas Golden Knights winger Max Pacioretty
Gretz scratched the Blue Jackets from that list because re-signing Pierre-Luc Dubois will take up most of their $9.2 million cap space. Ottawa, Detroit and Los Angeles are rebuilding and probably unwilling to take on an expensive 32-year-old forward.

The Predators could be the best fit because they need a finisher. The Devils need a scoring winger alongside centers Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes. The Panthers need someone to replace departed winger Mike Hoffman.

BOSTON HOCKEY NOW: Joe Haggerty suggests the Bruins should take a run at Pacioretty. It could cost them winger Jake DeBrusk and perhaps defense prospect Urho Vaakanainen but Haggerty feels it would be a fair price for a big, skilled second-line scorer.

PITTSBURGH HOCKEY NOW: Dan Kingerski reports multiple sources are claiming the Penguins are among the clubs expressing interest in Pacioretty, with one saying general manager Jim Rutherford circled back on Wednesday and is awaiting a response. Kingerski considered the talks exploratory.

THE ATHLETIC: Jesse Granger reports his sources said Golden Knights GM Kelly McCrimmon is simply testing the trade market regarding the value of Pacioretty, goalie Marc-Andre Fleury and winger Jonathan Marchessault following a period without much player movement around the league.

Granger acknowledged the Golden Knights must become cap compliant before the season begins but believes they would be making a mistake trading Pacioretty. The club is built to win now and trading their leading goal scorer wouldn’t put them closer to the Stanley Cup. He also indicates the trade market isn’t strong right now, making it difficult to move high-salaried players like Pacioretty

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Patches and Marchessault would greatly improve this top 6. Martinez would be a good add too for the left side. Although Martinez is in the last year of his deal.
Not difference makers. Stamkos or keep the guys we have. There's no point if you're not going to upgrade.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
BOSTON HOCKEY NOW: Joe Haggerty suggests the Bruins should take a run at Pacioretty. It could cost them winger Jake DeBrusk and perhaps defense prospect Urho Vaakanainen but Haggerty feels it would be a fair price for a big, skilled second-line scorer.

Its a shame Haggerty throws stuff like this out there. No doubt Pacioretty would be nice but first of all it doesn't fit via the cap. Bruins don't have enough space by moving Debrusk and Vaak and the Knight's aren't that much over the cap, so I really don't see them dealing Patch, McPhee and company want to win now.

Sure they need to come cap complaint but their only over by less than a Mil,so there's a lot better options out there for them to do so, than moving their leading goal scorer.

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Its a shame Haggerty throws stuff like this out there. No doubt Pacioretty would be nice but first of all it doesn't fit via the cap. Bruins don't have enough space by moving Debrusk and Vaak and the Knight's aren't that much over the cap, so I really don't see them dealing Patch, McPhee and company want to win now.

Sure they need to come cap complaint but their only over by less than a Mil,so there's a lot better options out there for them to do so, than moving their leading goal scorer.

Why in the blue blazes would the Bruins deal Debrusk and Vaak to bring in Pacioretty when you can basically acquire a comparable goal-scorer (Hoffman) for free. Even if Pacioretty is the better player, it's not a massive gap by any means. Not to mention you likely get Hoffman for less money and term than is remaining on Pacioretty's deal. I don't dislike Haggarty as much as some on this board (not saying I'm a fan either) but it's stuff like this that makes zero sense that hurts his credibility.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

It is Buyer's market for someone to take on that huge contract for Patches.
He has a 10 team no trade list, so I would assume he would want to play here.
No way I am giving up JDB and Vaak, even if the money worked out for us.
Vegas has to relaize that they are not getting anywhere near market value for him.
I offer Moore and Bjork to start the negotiations.
I would even throw in a B level prospect for him and a 4-5th rounder to sweeten the deal.
With Rask and DK coming off the books next year, we have room to keep him and still make some good signings.

Reactions: bbfan419

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Why in the blue blazes would the Bruins deal Debrusk and Vaak to bring in Pacioretty when you can basically acquire a comparable goal-scorer (Hoffman) for free. Even if Pacioretty is the better player, it's not a massive gap by any means. Not to mention you likely get Hoffman for less money and term than is remaining on Pacioretty's deal. I don't dislike Haggarty as much as some on this board (not saying I'm a fan either) but it's stuff like this that makes zero sense that hurts his credibility.
I must admit, I was concerned about your retirement from this board. Consider me relieved. :)

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Rumor I just read then spotted on the main board was Hanifin for Kase.......thoughts?
I feel we'd have to add, plus if that trade came to fruition, you'd have to think Chara's days as a Bruin were over.
Hanifin, Gryzz, Lauzon, Zboril, Vaak, thats 5 NHL ready LD

Reactions: bbfan419

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Serious question: Did anyone actually read the article from the fourth period?

First off, Dave Pagnotta knows his stuff. But all they are doing here is confirming what we already knew before free agent frenzy: The Bruins expressed interest in Hanifin.

The Boston Bruins are believed to have expressed interest in Calgary Flames defenceman Noah Hanifin at some point this off-season, TFP has learned.

Bruins GM Don Sweeney has explored the market for a left-shooting defenceman since losing Torey Krug as a free agent to the St. Louis Blues in October and it’s believed Hanifin was, at one point, on their radar.

And the rest really doesn't say anything:

It’s unclear how far along any trade talks went, if the Bruins and Flames have furthered any trade discussions over the off-season or if talks will pick up ahead of the start of the 2021 season

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I heard on TV tonight that some hockey analysts are saying that they think two of the Bruins, Capitals, Islanders could be left out of the playoffs with the new alignment for the upcoming season.

Bos, Buf, NJ, NYI, NYR, Wsh, Phi, Pit, what teams do you think will be on the outside come playoff time?
Wouldn't it be four of these teams?

The only team out of the hunt before it starts is NJ. And there are no locks.

Personally, I love the Sabres going into this year. They just need Ullmark to continue to play well (the only question mark I think they have is in net).

The Islanders could make it to the Cup Finals or be on the outside looking in. It's just a strangely built team that benefits from structure and coaching. The Rangers are YOUNG, but if you're a fan, how could you not be excited??

The Caps are still such a strong team, but their direction seems aimless, bizarre decisions with their coaching and they got beat so easily in the bubble. To me, this comes down to Samsonov - if legit, they're in.

The Flyers are definitely a team on the rise. They will fight for a spot (and I expect them to make it).

The Penguins and the Bruins are kinda in similar situations. Teams that most will predict in because they traditionally just are. Familiarity. But both seem to be standing still / going backwards and it wouldn't surprise me if either/both missed the playoffs. I expect both clubs to fight for a spot though.

That's one tough division.

Reactions: BruinDust

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Yeah don;t want to give up DeBrusk for someone much older and way more expensive.

Reactions: JOKER 192

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Rumor I just read then spotted on the main board was Hanifin for Kase.......thoughts?
I feel we'd have to add, plus if that trade came to fruition, you'd have to think Chara's days as a Bruin were over.
Hanifin, Gryzz, Lauzon, Zboril, Vaak, thats 5 NHL ready LD
I would do that deal if we did not have to add too much.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Serious question: Did anyone actually read the article from the fourth period?

First off, Dave Pagnotta knows his stuff. But all they are doing here is confirming what we already knew before free agent frenzy: The Bruins expressed interest in Hanifin.

The Boston Bruins are believed to have expressed interest in Calgary Flames defenceman Noah Hanifin at some point this off-season, TFP has learned.

Bruins GM Don Sweeney has explored the market for a left-shooting defenceman since losing Torey Krug as a free agent to the St. Louis Blues in October and it’s believed Hanifin was, at one point, on their radar.

And the rest really doesn't say anything:

It’s unclear how far along any trade talks went, if the Bruins and Flames have furthered any trade discussions over the off-season or if talks will pick up ahead of the start of the 2021 season

So, the deal is close to done?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Wouldn't it be four of these teams?

The only team out of the hunt before it starts is NJ. And there are no locks.

Personally, I love the Sabres going into this year. They just need Ullmark to continue to play well (the only question mark I think they have is in net).

The Islanders could make it to the Cup Finals or be on the outside looking in. It's just a strangely built team that benefits from structure and coaching. The Rangers are YOUNG, but if you're a fan, how could you not be excited??

The Caps are still such a strong team, but their direction seems aimless, bizarre decisions with their coaching and they got beat so easily in the bubble. To me, this comes down to Samsonov - if legit, they're in.

The Flyers are definitely a team on the rise. They will fight for a spot (and I expect them to make it).

The Penguins and the Bruins are kinda in similar situations. Teams that most will predict in because they traditionally just are. Familiarity. But both seem to be standing still / going backwards and it wouldn't surprise me if either/both missed the playoffs. I expect both clubs to fight for a spot though.

That's one tough division.

The Sabres look improved on paper, but I would of said the same thing last year. They can't defend and any team with Taylor Hall as a focal point has to be questionable to be a winner until proven otherwise.

The Islanders have Trotz and his structure. They'll be a challenge for anyone just by the nature of how they play.

Laviolette may be the perfect choice for a Caps team with an aging core. He's shown as a coach he does his best work in the early going (i.e the first few years).

The Flyers youth on D and with Hart in net they will be in the mix.

The Rangers look to be on the rise. Like you said how can their fanbase not be excited. Shesterkin, Zibanejad, Kakko, Lafrenriere, Panarin, Fox, etc.

Most will assume the Devils will be the bottom-feeders and I would say the same.

Interesting you say the Pens and Bruins are in similar situations I totally agree. Eerily similar. Both franchises trying to squeeze one more run out of core groups built well over a decade ago. The Bruins have been better in adding new younger core pieces (Pasta, McAvoy). A playoff DNQ for the Pens wouldn't shock me at all. I'd be more surprised if the Bruins missed out but it they did, I wouldn't call it shocking. The B's could be lousy, good, or even great. Very tough to say at this stage.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I've scaled back the frequency of my posts to a manageable level. I realized enjoy debating Bruins hockey far to much to leave here completely. Just gotta keep my priorities in line and I can continue to find time to hang out here.

I hear ya. I've posted a lot less too for similar reasons. The key is (for me anyways) not commenting on everything I disagree with lol. For every good poster that you can actually have a debate with, there are three clowns that aren't even worth a reply.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I've scaled back the frequency of my posts to a manageable level. I realized enjoy debating Bruins hockey far to much to leave here completely. Just gotta keep my priorities in line and I can continue to find time to hang out here.

I felt the same way about betting horses.

:laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: