Ritchie-Kuraly-Frederic

Gryzz-McAvoy
Lauzon-Carlo
Chara-Zboril

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This theory teams need to be tall and heavy to be successful and win cups is a complete farce...History highlights the following win cups - Team identity/passion/coaching, Team chemistry, Team hockey IQ, Team leadership,Team skill, luck, and Team depth. Team character and Nasty helps.

Should fans be worried the bruins are lacking in size next year? The answer is no. In fact the smaller teams have had more success over the last 10 years. A team doesn't need to be Big Bruising to win cups just good at everything I mentioned above.

Bruins have had competitive teams over the last 10 years because they play as a team/will to win not because they are big...The team Don has built will continue to be competitive because of the focus on character and leadership.

The obvious need now is skill/scoring. Get it done Donny.

Example cup winners....

2011 bruins
25th in league avg height Calgary & Caps 1&2
25th in league avg lbs Atlanta & St Louis

2015 Hawks
24th in league avg height Winnipeg & Ottawa 1&2
28th in league avg lbs Ducks & Winnipeg

2016 Penguins
29th in league avg height LA & Blues 1&2
30th in league avg lbs LA & NYI

2017 Penguins
30th in league avg height Winnipeg & LA 1&2
29th in league avg lbs LA & Buffalo

2018 Washington
21st in league avg height Dallas & LA 1&2
10th in league avg lbs Dallas & LA

2019 St Louis
3rd in league avg height Winnipeg & Dallas 1&2
3rd in league avg lbs NYI & Dallas

2020 Tampa
19th in league avg height Dallas & Vancouver 1&2
7th in league avg lbs NYI & Dallas

Link to stats....
Elite Prospects - Team Comparison in NHL

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This theory teams need to be tall and heavy to be successful and win cups is a complete farce...History highlights the following win cups - Team identity/passion/coaching, Team chemistry, Team hockey IQ, Team leadership,Team skill, luck, and Team depth. Team character and Nasty helps.

Should we really be worried the bruins are lacking in size next year? The answer is no. In fact the smaller teams have had more success over the last 10 years. A team doesn't need to be Big Bruising to win cups just good at everything I mentioned above.

Bruins have had competitive teams over the last 10 years because they play as a team/will to win not because they are big...The team Don has built will continue to be competitive because of the focus on character and leadership.

Example cup winners....

2011 bruins

2015 Hawks

2016 Penguins

2017 Penguins

2018 Washington

2019 St Louis

2020 Tampa

Link to stats....

I honestly hate this type of comparison. There's zero context really. Height/Weight don't have anything to do with it. Jimmy Hayes (6'5'' - 215 lbs) or Stan Jonathan (5'8'' -- 175 lbs)? I know who I'd take in that fight. I know who I'd fear going into the corner.

All these teams above had what you need to win the Cup. They had the skill from the net to the 1st line center, the physicality, the coaching, and luck. Look at each roster and come back with this take. I don't think it's happening.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I honestly hate this type of comparison. There's zero context really. Height/Weight don't have anything to do with it. Jimmy Hayes (6'5'' - 215 lbs) or Stan Jonathan (5'8'' -- 175 lbs)? I know who I'd take in that fight. I know who I'd fear going into the corner.

All these teams above had what you need to win the Cup. They had the skill from the net to the 1st line center, the physicality, the coaching, and luck. Look at each roster and come back with this take. I don't think it's happening.

Did you read my opening remarks?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Should we really be worried the bruins are lacking in size next year? The answer is no. In fact the smaller teams have had more success over the last 10 years. A team doesn't need to be Big Bruising to win cups just good at everything I mentioned above.

Example cup winners....

2011 bruins

2015 Hawks

2016 Penguins

2017 Penguins

2018 Washington

2019 St Louis

2020 Tampa

Link to stats....

Without going into the specifics of each team above --- height and weight aren't the full story with a lot of those teams.

The 2011 Bruins for example -- doesn't matter where they ranked in Ht/Wt. ---- they had arguably 4 of the 10 toughest guys in the league at the time in Chara, Looch, Thornton and McQuaid. Plus 3 others that were probably among the toughest "regular players" in Horton, Boychuk and Ference.

St. Louis -- regardless of their size played a dirty/physical style.

The Pens, while not overly big or tough also had the luxury of having two of the top 10 forwards in the league at the time.

So, yes. Height and Weight aren't the only story --- but physicality and toughness will always play a role, IMO.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Without going into the specifics of each team above --- height and weight aren't the full story with a lot of those teams.

The 2011 Bruins for example -- doesn't matter where they ranked in Ht/Wt. ---- they had arguably 4 of the 10 toughest guys in the league at the time in Chara, Looch, Thornton and McQuaid. Plus 3 others that were probably among the toughest "regular players" in Horton, Boychuk and Ference.

St. Louis -- regardless of their size played a dirty/physical style.

The Pens, while not overly big or tough also had the luxury of having two of the top 10 forwards in the league at the time.

So, yes. Height and Weight aren't the only story --- but physicality and toughness will always play a role, IMO.

So many factors are built into team success however the prerogative of size IMO is irrelevant. I stated some of the key success characteristics in my original post. For me it boils down to will, passion, and team. Those are the teams that are successful. Physicality and toughness will always play a role no doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
So many factors are built into team success however the prerogative of size IMO is irrelevant. I stated some of the key success characteristics in my original post. For me it boils down to will, passion, and team. Those are the teams that are successful. Physicality and toughness will always play a role no doubt.
Do not tell the Phialdelphia Flyers of 74 and 75 that physicality and toughness will not win you a Cup. Players from opposing teams spent more time looking over their shoulder that concentrating on the game itself. I do know that the game has changed completely since then.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Do not tell the Phialdelphia Flyers of 74 and 75 that physicality and toughness will not win you a Cup. Players from opposing teams spent more time looking over their shoulder that concentrating on the game itself. I do know that the game has changed completely since then.

I don't disagree with you there and yes the times have changed significantly for all sports when it comes to physical play. Not just the NHL. Physicality still factors into team success more in board play/puck pursuit/will/sacrifice.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Example cup winners....

2011 bruins

2015 Hawks

2016 Penguins

2017 Penguins

2018 Washington

2019 St Louis

2020 Tampa

Link to stats....
I’m not sure this is directed at me but if you been reading me it shouldn’t be

my team is balance

skill & toughness

for every Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Bourne, Goring, Jonsson you have Nystrom, Tonelli, Gillies, Howatt, Sutters etc

I’ll take Marchand, Pastrnak, Bergeron, Krug, Krejci, DeBrusk, And McAvoy

but I want Chara, Carlo, Lauzon, Wagner, Frederic, Coyle, Smith, Kuraly, Ritchie

I want my team to be able to dance and fight

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

my team is balance

skill & toughness

for every Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Bourne, Goring, Jonsson you have Nystrom, Tonelli, Gillies, Howatt, Sutters etc

but I want Chara, Carlo, Lauzon, Wagner, Frederic, Coyle, Smith, Kuraly, Ritchie

Not you at all DKH...Love the team balance you've been presenting. Totally onboard.

Only a few here have this thing about bruins being smallish etc...

Reactions: HustleB and DKH

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

This right here, all of this.

Whats the old saying?

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Example cup winners....

2011 bruins

2015 Hawks

2016 Penguins

2017 Penguins

2018 Washington

2019 St Louis

2020 Tampa

Link to stats....

I don't think people are pining for tall guys, as much as they're pining for physically strong, determined forwards who can get inside on big defenseman to set screens, tip pucks and bang home rebounds.

The Bruins have had nobody in their top9, outside of Coyle, who can do this. They rely on flash and dash to win and sometimes that's good enough, but when you face a red hot goalie the pretty passes and 20 foot shots aren't enough. You have to take away his eyes, you have to tip pucks right as he's about to grab them, you have to bang in rebounds and bump him.

All of those Cup winners had those guys in their top9. Lucic, Horton, Kelly, Byfuglien (as a RW), Bickell, Shaw, Bonino, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Wilson, Oshie, Smith-Pelley, Beagle, Killorn, Cirelli, Palat, Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon, O'Reilly, Schenn, Sundqvist,

The Bruins have had a similar flaw in their defensive makeup. With three smaller guys in Krug, Gryz and Clifton trying to move out big bodies so that Rask can see pucks.

Tampa's series clinching goal is Torey Krug pushing hopelessly against Pat Maroon who is standing with his backside right in Tuukka's face as Hedman wrists a shot from the blue line past him. Maroon doesn't get a point on the play, but the wrister is a harmless shot if Rask can see the puck. First goal in G7 is O'Reilly tipping a puck past Rask. The Bruins had just thrown the kitchen sink at Binnington who was standing on his head, and all it took for STL to take control of the game is a harmless point shot coupled with a not so harmless tip in the slot.

You can't win without skill, but IMO skill alone isn't enough. You have to be built the right away. To me, that means having a blend of skill guys (which we have) and guys who thrive in the trenches (which we do not have).

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not you at all DKH...Love the team balance you've been presenting. Totally onboard.

Only a few here have this thing about bruins being smallish etc...

I will say that while I don’t think size is the most important thing, I think size on the back end is much more important than up front.

I don’t think a team can win a cup if their defense were made up of 6 guys no bigger than Grzelcyk, no matter how big their forwards are.

I do think a team can win a cup if the entire forward group were Bergeron sized, if the defense was filled with guys 6’0 /200 or bigger.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
my team is balance skill & toughness

Fighting is not relevant to winning. More so now than ever before.

And the Bruins were 3rd in the NHL last season in fights with 20 (that's all?). Only the Ducks and Rangers had more. Nine teams did not have double figures in fights.

Sad but true.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fighting is not relevant to winning. More so now than ever before.

And the Bruins were 3rd in the NHL last season in fights with 20 (that's all?). Only the Ducks and Rangers had more. Nine teams did not have double figures in fights.

Sad but true.
I’m not looking to recreate the 1975 Charlestown Chiefs.

I don’t even want the Hathaway types on my team

I’ll take a couple or three of Trent Frederic/Marcus Foligno/Sam Bennett types in my bottom 6

When you find and intelligent beautiful women why not hope she’s a heck of a cook as well

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

You impose will passion and team when you can impose physicality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad