Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The guy is 33 years old and scored ten goals last year . Hardly worth a first round pick. This would look like another David Backes pickup.
Didnt realize he was 33. He sure didnt play like it last round against Tbay.

To the Bruins who are "going for it" and maybe have one more good shot at Cup with this core. A 25th to 28th over all pick in 2021 or 2022 might be a little steep? Yet worthwhile for what the the leader and captain of the Jackets would bring . He is what the Bruins have lacked come play off time for the last several seasons. imo

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I like a lot of this but no way I have a guy who has yet to even score in the NHL on the top line. Not a big fan of Laine but he can score and while his attitude and work ethic are not great he with Krejci and Kase should be a very tough line to stop and add the needed secondary scoring to the Bergeron line.

I would put Frederic or Studnicka in McKeggs spot in your healthy line up. Lindholm would clear waivers and I would have him as 15th forward in Providence if there are injuries.

Tampa matches the offer sheet for Cernak and Sweeney would never offer sheet anybody anyway, he doesn't have the guts.
Laine would be fantastic on the Bs. His "work ethic" vastly improved last season. The kid is still only 22. Massive upside

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The guy is 33 years old and scored ten goals last year . Hardly worth a first round pick. This would look like another David Backes pickup.
Bruins dont need his help in the regular season..............but they do need his help in the play offs.

and 10 goals on last seasons Jackets is like 20 on most teams.....especially the Bs.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
NBC SPORTS BOSTON: DJ Bean examined what’s left for the Bruins to do during this offseason. They must sign winger Jake DeBrusk, determine if defenseman Zdeno Chara will return and fill a need for depth among their middle-six forwards.
Will Zdeno Chara return to the Boston Bruins? (NHL Images)
Given the Bruins’ limited salary-cap space ($7.35 million per PuckPedia) and DeBrusk’s streaky scoring, Bean believes the 22-year-old restricted free agent should receive a short-term deal worth somewhere in the range of $4 million annually.
Nothing much has happened with Chara, but if the unrestricted free agent wanted to leave, Bean thinks he would’ve done so by now. He feels the Bruins could use him as a third-pairing, left-side defenseman.
Bean believes the Bruins need additional left-wing depth. Possible options could include Mike Hoffman, Anthony Duclair, Erik Haula or Andreas Athanasiou. He doubts they have sufficient cap space for Hoffman.

Reactions: Gordoff and PaulD

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
NBC SPORTS BOSTON: DJ Bean examined what’s left for the Bruins to do during this offseason. They must sign winger Jake DeBrusk, determine if defenseman Zdeno Chara will return and fill a need for depth among their middle-six forwards.
Will Zdeno Chara return to the Boston Bruins? (NHL Images)
Given the Bruins’ limited salary-cap space ($7.35 million per PuckPedia) and DeBrusk’s streaky scoring, Bean believes the 22-year-old restricted free agent should receive a short-term deal worth somewhere in the range of $4 million annually.
Nothing much has happened with Chara, but if the unrestricted free agent wanted to leave, Bean thinks he would’ve done so by now. He feels the Bruins could use him as a third-pairing, left-side defenseman.
Bean believes the Bruins need additional left-wing depth. Possible options could include Mike Hoffman, Anthony Duclair, Erik Haula or Andreas Athanasiou. He doubts they have sufficient cap space for Hoffman.

Hoffman isn't "LW depth", he'd be a legit acquisition that would boost the scoring among the forward group.

Haula is interesting as he plays a lot of C and is a very good faceoff man (54% last year). He'd be a nice compliment to Kuraly as both can play LW or C, so it would give Cassidy options in the bottom six. Would probably push Lindholm to the AHL and that's a good thing.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Laine would be fantastic on the Bs. His "work ethic" vastly improved last season. The kid is still only 22. Massive upside
I don't watch a ton of Jets games. I was basing this on what I have heard in the media about him. Local reporters aren't huge fans and Matt Barnaby detests him. Regardless of what you think of Barnaby his reason for disliking Laine were of concern. Lazy, not interested without the puck and very weak defensively.

Do I think they could use a big, 22 year old goal scorer? Of course, but you have to ask yourself why is he being made available, if he is, and what is the cost? They can can get away with a couple of bad defensive forwards in Pastrnak and Laine and their offense would more than make up for it.

Depends on cost and Sweeney being willing and able to have a back bone to make an impact move, so it won't happen.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Old friend, Joe Haggarty, was cited in pro hockey rumors.com for claiming that Sweeney was actively pursuing a trade for Vaakanainen. No source listed but he asserts Vaaks could be a piece to bring in a better defenseman. TIFWIW.

Reactions: bbfan419

BBBruins

Apr 24, 2017
I think the Bruins have a good pieces for ''possible'' Laine trade. This is only speculation but this does not look bad on either side? What you think?

DeBrusk
Vaakanainen
1 st round pick

Do we need add something or is that enough? I don't know. Probably that offer is too low.
I'm a bit bored as you can see.
At least that would be a good package that could be modified.

Compared our offer to that Philadelphia - Laine speculation:
Rumored Trade Package From Philadelphia to Winnipeg for Patrik Laine - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I think the Bruins have a good pieces for ''possible'' Laine trade. This is only speculation but this does not look bad on either side? What you think?

DeBrusk
Vaakanainen
1 st round pick

Do we need add something or is that enough? I don't know. Probably that offer is too low.

Rumored Trade Package From Philadelphia to Winnipeg for Patrik Laine - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me
That looks like a fair package. But it leaves Sweeney with a hole to fill at LW unless he could snag an Athanassiou for example, at a discount. Or, if Kase can play on his off wing.

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
That looks like a fair package. But it leaves Sweeney with a hole to fill at LW unless he could snag an Athanassiou for example, at a discount. Or, if Kase can play on his off wing.

Laine can play both sides. Can we stop with the Athanassiou talk before it starts. Two terrible teams have jettisoned him in the past two years. Taking the scraps of bad teams isn't how you put together a contender, taking an middle aged under producing player isn't how you build for the future. I would rather have Bjork than Anthanassiou

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Laine can play both sides. Can we stop with the Athanassiou talk before it starts. Two terrible teams have jettisoned him in the past two years. Taking the scraps of bad teams isn't how you put together a contender, taking an middle aged under producing player isn't how you build for the future. I would rather have Bjork than Anthanassiou

Anthanassiou - Spooner - Duclair would be a heck of a line.....

In the KHL.

Reactions: Fenian24

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

DeBrusk
Vaakanainen
1 st round pick

I'd rather they use those chips (and maybe a Kuraly/Kase for salary cap purposes) for a #2/3 defenseman and sign Hoffman.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hoffman isn't "LW depth", he'd be a legit acquisition that would boost the scoring among the forward group.

Haula is interesting as he plays a lot of C and is a very good faceoff man (54% last year). He'd be a nice compliment to Kuraly as both can play LW or C, so it would give Cassidy options in the bottom six. Would probably push Lindholm to the AHL and that's a good thing.

Haula is a legitimately good hockey player when he’s healthy, I’d love to see him added for cheap

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Makes you wonder why someone hasn't signed him yet. Could be because outside of that one good season he's a sub 30pt producer

He's quite possibly the worst defensive player in the league. Like Ryan Spooner levels of defensive ineptitude. I don't think that Cassidy would trust him on the ice without a perennial Selke contending center and Marchand appears to have a contractually tied obligation to play next to Bergeron.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I don't watch a ton of Jets games. I was basing this on what I have heard in the media about him. Local reporters aren't huge fans and Matt Barnaby detests him. Regardless of what you think of Barnaby his reason for disliking Laine were of concern. Lazy, not interested without the puck and very weak defensively.

Do I think they could use a big, 22 year old goal scorer? Of course, but you have to ask yourself why is he being made available, if he is, and what is the cost? They can can get away with a couple of bad defensive forwards in Pastrnak and Laine and their offense would more than make up for it.

Depends on cost and Sweeney being willing and able to have a back bone to make an impact move, so it won't happen.
Word is the Jets only "made him available" once Laine let them know he wanted out.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Hoffman would be nice addition. No disputing that. But he seems to be looking to get over paid.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
According to Capfriendly both Lauzona and Zboril will be exposed to an expansion draft if they play 40+ games. I guess that's based on 82 games season. If the season is shorter around 62 games that means around 30 games.

That is the number of games played required for them to count as one of the minimally experienced guys you have to expose. They would need to be protected even if they played zero more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad