Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm with @Sheppy here and still waiting for a good explanation of a "fake tough guy" is.

Someone who talks big, acts big, plays big, but when confronted physically, they tend to shy away as they continue to look for easier prey. Brooks Orpik comes to mind immediately as a recent fake tough guy. Claude Lemeiux would be someone from the past who fits the description.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Marchand — Bergeron — Pastrnak
Kase — Krejci — Laine
Bjork — Coyle — Smith
Frederic — Kuraly — Wagner
Ritchie

Grzlecyk — McAvoy
Chara — Lauzon
Zboril
— Clifton
Moore
Miller

thoughts?

According to Capfriendly both Lauzona and Zboril will be exposed to an expansion draft if they play 40+ games. I guess that's based on 82 games season. If the season is shorter around 62 games that means around 30 games.

The way how to get Laine is try to get lucky and offersheet Cernak. It's easier said than done. Tampa would like to keep Cernak but they are able to give him only a bridge deal somewhere around $2.5M. If Bruins would offer $3.9-4.2M/3y Tampa would rather trade him as the compensation from Bruins would be only 2nd rd pick 2021. I am sure several teams with a cap space (NJD, LAK, Nashville) would offer in a trade more than 2nd rd pick to get Cernak. Well, Bruins should do it anyway. At least to screw Tampa's depth.

Step 1 Sign DeBrusk to $3.1M/3Y.
Step 2 Offer sheet Cernak $3.95M/3Y.
Step 3 Trade Laine for DeBrusk + Carlo + 1b prospect/pick
Step 4 Trade Kuraly and Wagner for any late picks they could get.
Step 5 Sign Chara 900K/1Y

The line up if the season starts in January
Laine - Bergeron - Studnicka
Kase - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Coyle - Bjork
Frederic - McKegg - Senyshyn
Lindholm

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Zboril - Cernak
Chara - Lauzon
Moore - Clifton (they play 50% of games instead of Lauzon and Zboril)

LTIR: Marchand, Pastrnak, Miller

Once Marchy and Pasta are back the forward lines:

Marchand - Bergeron - Studnicka
Laine - Krejci - Pastrnak
Kase - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - McKegg - Bjork
Lindholm

For the expansion draft Bruins protect 7F and 3D : Marchy, Bergy, Pasta, Laine, Kase, Coyle, Smith + McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Cernak.
Not eligible to an expansion draft: Studnicka, Lauzon, Zboril
Exposed to an expansion draft: Ritchie, Bjork, Clifton, Moore

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Lets say Marshy and Pasta are out for 1 month each.......someone much smarter than me in terms of cap and LTIR.......does that give the bruins effectively 2 million extra to play with?

Secondly, would anyone trade Bjork + Moore for Nick Foligno?

Foligno-Coyle-Smith could be a very tough 3rd line to play against.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Heinen had the best goals for to goals against ratio in the playoffs two seasons ago. The line combinations he was on were ripping. Idk about you, but I wouldnt consider that dead weight. Some may have not liked his play style, but he a solid puck possesing, defensive 3rd line winger who put up average 3rd line points per game at a relatively cheap price too.
Terrible. Stunk. Invisible.

Traded for those reasons, and rightly so.

Reactions: Gordoff

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Lets say Marshy and Pasta are out for 1 month each.......someone much smarter than me in terms of cap and LTIR.......does that give the bruins effectively 2 million extra to play with?

Anyone might............... but the Jackets wouldnt

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

In a heartbeat but no way Columbus does that deal. Need to add a top nine roster player. Columbus isn't trading it's captain and a guy Torts loves for Anders Bjork and a 8th defenseman.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

I would do that deal Bjork I like but he and Moore for Foligno, I do that deal in a second.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
What's a guy like Foligno cost the Bruins then?
Unless Columbus becomes cap strapped, which they are not right now, you would be starting with Grizz. If they re looking for picks probably a first. He is a UFA next year so if Columbus opts to move him it would be closer to the deadline and they are not in playoff contention.

I love Foligno and he would be a great middle six forward.

Oh and for the record the Bruins are still 6M+ under the cap, they have room to pick up a not so great contract, if Monty Burns lets them spend to the cap.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
According to Capfriendly both Lauzona and Zboril will be exposed to an expansion draft if they play 40+ games. I guess that's based on 82 games season. If the season is shorter around 62 games that means around 30 games.

The way how to get Laine is try to get lucky and offersheet Cernak. It's easier said than done. Tampa would like to keep Cernak but they are able to give him only a bridge deal somewhere around $2.5M. If Bruins would offer $3.9-4.2M/3y Tampa would rather trade him as the compensation from Bruins would be only 2nd rd pick 2021. I am sure several teams with a cap space (NJD, LAK, Nashville) would offer in a trade more than 2nd rd pick to get Cernak. Well, Bruins should do it anyway. At least to screw Tampa's depth.

Step 1 Sign DeBrusk to $3.1M/3Y.
Step 2 Offer sheet Cernak $3.95M/3Y.
Step 3 Trade Laine for DeBrusk + Carlo + 1b prospect/pick
Step 4 Trade Kuraly and Wagner for any late picks they could get.
Step 5 Sign Chara 900K/1Y

The line up if the season starts in January
Laine - Bergeron - Studnicka
Kase - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Coyle - Bjork
Frederic - McKegg - Senyshyn
Lindholm

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Zboril - Cernak
Chara - Lauzon
Moore - Clifton (they play 50% of games instead of Lauzon and Zboril)

LTIR: Marchand, Pastrnak, Miller

Once Marchy and Pasta are back the forward lines:

Marchand - Bergeron - Studnicka
Laine - Krejci - Pastrnak
Kase - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - McKegg - Bjork
Lindholm

For the expansion draft Bruins protect 7F and 3D : Marchy, Bergy, Pasta, Laine, Kase, Coyle, Smith + McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Cernak.
Not eligible to an expansion draft: Studnicka, Lauzon, Zboril
Exposed to an expansion draft: Ritchie, Bjork, Clifton, Moore

I like a lot of this but no way I have a guy who has yet to even score in the NHL on the top line. Not a big fan of Laine but he can score and while his attitude and work ethic are not great he with Krejci and Kase should be a very tough line to stop and add the needed secondary scoring to the Bergeron line.

I would put Frederic or Studnicka in McKeggs spot in your healthy line up. Lindholm would clear waivers and I would have him as 15th forward in Providence if there are injuries.

Tampa matches the offer sheet for Cernak and Sweeney would never offer sheet anybody anyway, he doesn't have the guts.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Someone who talks big, acts big, plays big, but when confronted physically, they tend to shy away as they continue to look for easier prey. Brooks Orpik comes to mind immediately as a recent fake tough guy. Claude Lemeiux would be someone from the past who fits the description.

Okay two votes for Claude Lemieux here :laugh:. How is this anything like Nick Ritchie, though? I know you didn't say that, but it was said.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Okay two votes for Claude Lemieux here :laugh:. How is this anything like Nick Ritchie, though? I know you didn't say that, but it was said.
Ritchie is nothing like Claude. There is a good and bad to that. I haven't seen Ritchie turtle but he doesn't have Lemieux's drive to be as good as he can be. Claude was detestable because he also stepped up and was a force in the playoffs, but also he was as cheap a player as I have ever seen and that list includes Dale Hunter, Ken Linseman, Ulf Samuelson and Bobby Clarke.

Claude would only fight when cornered and even then would look for a way out, Ritchie doesn't do that.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Unless Columbus becomes cap strapped, which they are not right now, you would be starting with Grizz. If they re looking for picks probably a first. He is a UFA next year so if Columbus opts to move him it would be closer to the deadline and they are not in playoff contention.

I love Foligno and he would be a great middle six forward.

Oh and for the record the Bruins are still 6M+ under the cap, they have room to pick up a not so great contract, if Monty Burns lets them spend to the cap.
I realize they have 6.6 in cap space, my question was how much does Pasta and Marshy combined, missing a month, give us in LTIR space?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ritchie is nothing like Claude. There is a good and bad to that. I haven't seen Ritchie turtle but he doesn't have Lemieux's drive to be as good as he can be. Claude was detestable because he also stepped up and was a force in the playoffs, but also he was as cheap a player as I have ever seen and that list includes Dale Hunter, Ken Linseman, Ulf Samuelson and Bobby Clarke.

Claude would only fight when cornered and even then would look for a way out, Ritchie doesn't do that.

Biggest difference is that Lemieux could play.

Reactions: Jim and duffy

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
What it means is what Ritchie put on tape...or even what you’ve described him as in previous posts...

A guy that’s capable or being a physical presence, but doesn’t bring it 90% of the time. Doesn’t really want to. Yet, “oh Ritchie...you better watch out for him.” Why? Because he might take a stupid hook or hold? Certainly not because he might stand up for team mates. He’s put it on tape that he won’t.

“Fake tough guy” suits him perfectly. He’s a fraud. That isn’t a part of his game, or more accurately, it rarely is...certainly nothing that can be counted on...

Kuraly has scored some big goals but I wouldn’t call him a goal scorer. Ritchie has the size and if he was willing could be a physical force, but he isn’t willing, so he’s any-kind-of-tough-guy only in name.

As I’ve alluded to, give me someone who is willing first. You can’t get anywhere without that. Get him gone. He doesn’t have the mentality.

You keep bringing up Bjork, I don’t know why. Yes, there are wimpy guys on this team...I don’t know how that gives Ritchie a pass to stand and watch.

I’ll agree with the Ritchie supporters who say he was brought in partly to address the snarl problem...I guess the crux is, he didn’t even make a dent. He wasn’t even willing. Total flop there. Misdiagnosis.

The TB series showed me who he is and what he will tolerate.
You're pretty fired up over one player when no one really showed up to play hockey that series. Whatever.

Reactions: duffy and Gordoff

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
In regards to Ritchie, my biggest issue with him is it feels like he knows he is a slow skater and doesn’t even attempt to build up any sort of speed when he is in any sort of foot race. Always looks like he’s just like “yeah, you got me...”

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Marchand and pastrnak count against the cap... but the team can go over the cap upto whatever marchand and pastrnak earn

Cap is calculated daily

So during the injury the team doesnt need to play shorthanded

Once pastrnak and marchand are healthy the team needs to be under the ceiling

Ltir doesnt make cap disappear... it only stretches it temperarily

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If ritchie wants an nhl career he will have an nhl career. Dude is prime age... skates well for his size... enough puck skill to challange lucic/wilson as a scoring threat

He will need to get in shape for his new team/fresh start

He will need to prove to his new team he knows his role

Its not guaranteed he will take this opportunity, but fans who think they can write him off are naive. He will have a job if he wants it bad enough

Reactions: Gordoff and duffy

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If ritchie wants an nhl career he will have an nhl career. Dude is prime age... skates well for his size... enough puck skill to challange lucic/wilson as a scoring threat

He will need to get in shape for his new team/fresh start

He will need to prove to his new team he knows his role

Its not guaranteed he will take this opportunity, but fans who think they can write him off are naive. He will have a job if he wants it bad enough

Anyone that is writing him off is not naive, but doing it for the very reason you highlight in the second bolded sentence. No serious person here thinks that the guy can't play or doesn't have talent- they question his drive and work ethic, and that, to this point in his career, has not been one of his stronger points. Maybe he will turn it around, and I hope he does, and I agree the Bruins should afford him an sustained opportunity to prove himself, but I also will not be one bit surprised if he doesn't change his ways and ends up being another might-have-been.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Anyone that is writing him off is not naive, but doing it for the very reason you highlight in the second bolded sentence. No serious person here thinks that the guy can't play or doesn't have talent- they question his drive and work ethic, and that, to this point in his career, has not been one of his stronger points. Maybe he will turn it around, and I hope he does, and I agree the Bruins should afford him an sustained opportunity to prove himself, but I also will not be one bit surprised if he doesn't change his ways and ends up being another might-have-been.

You and i have seen these big young power forward types fail in the past... but complete fails are guys like landon wilson who never play in the first place

Ritchie has played. Hes played a few seasons. Hes thrown nearly 300 hits in a season. Hes been a double diget goal scorer

Hes already very well established at slightly above a 4th liner

What held him back in anaheim was the fit. Was it his fault or theirs? Who created the problem?

Not all second chance change of sceneries will work. Cam neely worked. Sometimes it works. We know there are very very very few examples of kid power forwards that enter the nhl and just thrive from day 1

Developing a powerforward is always considered a project

We paid a steep price for ritchie and dude has a track record. The HOPE is he has upside... but even at a downside he is a legit nhl talent

So happens we are deep with tons of legit nhl talent. There will be competition for jobs. We are going to have deserving players fail to play

But if all things are equal and ritchie wants a job... someone else will be out

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You and i have seen these big young power forward types fail in the past... but complete fails are guys like landon wilson who never play in the first place

Ritchie has played. Hes played a few seasons. Hes thrown nearly 300 hits in a season. Hes been a double diget goal scorer

Hes already very well established at slightly above a 4th liner

What held him back in anaheim was the fit. Was it his fault or theirs? Who created the problem?

Not all second chance change of sceneries will work. Cam neely worked. Sometimes it works. We know there are very very very few examples of kid power forwards that enter the nhl and just thrive from day 1

Developing a powerforward is always considered a project

We paid a steep price for ritchie and dude has a track record. The HOPE is he has upside... but even at a downside he is a legit nhl talent

So happens we are deep with tons of legit nhl talent. There will be competition for jobs. We are going to have deserving players fail to play

But if all things are equal and ritchie wants a job... someone else will be out

Great post, Mike. I agree 100%, which is why I want the Bruins to give him the opportunity to put it all together. The kid/man is about to turn 25 and has several years of NHL experience under his belt. It is time for him to get it done if he is going to- but at his age it might be appropriate to believe this is the point as a power forward where he DOES start get it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->