Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion IV - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
I know this has been put out there, but if DeBrusk is going to get traded anyways?
I don't know, I would really have to think long and hard about this option.

Rumor: Patrik Laine to the Boston Bruins - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

If Boston and Winnipeg were to complete a deal, the Jets would have interest in Jake DeBrusk and Brandon Carlo. The Bruins would likely be reluctant to meet the Jets demands, so it's certainly going to be tough for a trade to materialize. Picks and prospects may have to be involved, potentially from both sides.

hard pass. selfish 1 dimensional player that will want a contract that wont fit. plus the Bruins really need a top 4 - to me this is the most pressing need - and trading Carlo would double the need and be a huge mistake.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
hard pass. selfish 1 dimensional player that will want a contract that wont fit. plus the Bruins really need a top 4 - to me this is the most pressing need - and trading Carlo would double the need and be a huge mistake.

If the Bruins could get Laine for Carlo and Debrusk the only mistake would be not making that deal.

Let's be honest here. Carlo and Debrusk as nice players. But that's all they are, nice players, good players. Laine is already one of the top 5 shooters on Planet Earth. He has a chance to be one of the great goal scorers of his generation. You can't teach what he can do.

From his coach:

Head coach Paul Maurice notices the reactions on the bench frequently when Laine lights the lamp. “It’s how it comes off his stick, the way the goals look. The numbers on the sheet you go, ‘Wow, that’s really good.’ But standing behind the bench and watching it happen is so unique,” Maurice says. “And it’s the players’ reaction sometimes, he shoots the puck and they can’t believe it. They have an appreciation even more than coaches or fans of what greatness is, because they live it every day.”

Patrik Laine can’t score, and no one’s angrier about it than him – Sportsnet

You can find Carlos and Debrusks. They aren't that rare. Guys who can shoot like Laine only come around every so often.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Its Coming from Murphy I swear he makes this stuff up he's all over the place with his trade rumors and his so-called sources

He's also said the ducks could trade Rakell,Silverberg or Getzalf and the islanders may move Bailey all per his source :sarcasm:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Its Coming from Murphy I swear he makes this stuff up he's all over the place with his trade rumors and his so-called sources

He's also said the ducks could trade Rakell,Silverberg or Getzalf and the islanders may move Bailey all per his source :sarcasm:
Don't think you can blame Jimmy "Slainte" Murphy for that one. Jimmy wrote a speculative/opinion article a month ago, and it was just now picked up by a rumors site to be posted as a rumor with Slainte as the source.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Don't think you can blame Jimmy "Slainte" Murphy for that one. Jimmy wrote a speculative/opinion article a month ago, and it was just now picked up by a rumors site to be posted as a rumor with Slainte as the source.

why not?

He's the one who wrote about it isn't he. I think he's just thinks these things up in his head and then says there's a source. Im not buying anything that comes from him. its easy to predict trades and say so and has been rumored to be going here and there, and then back it up by saying it comes source. To me its cheap journalism.

MURPHY'S TAKE

Murphy: Bruins Can Redeem Offseason with Patrik Laine Trade

a212f8767a876c05d472b166ca104f22

Published
1 month ago
on
October 18, 2020
By
Jimmy Murphy

An NHL source has confirmed to Boston Hockey Now that Sweeney did due diligence on Laine in the weeks following his team’s second-round series loss to the Tampa Bay

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Ritchie was here for 7 games, then Covid, then post season. Anders Bjork hasn't scored a goal in his past 20+ games, Kase hasn't scored a goal for the Bruins since being acquired. Has Ritchie been good? Nah. However there is more than just Ritchie that could the issue.

Again, shitting on one player when the entire team got worked. Maybe the Bruins would be in a different position if they actually used the trade deadline to make some significant changes and not allow the division to continually improve while standing pat with ticky tack moves that don't move any sort of needle. We've been waiting years for them to find Krejci a winger, YEARS, it's been a glaring hole and they still haven't done it.

If my boss kept telling me to do my work, and i continually don't. What would happen?

Ritchie deserves shitting on. If you’re even supposed to be half a tough guy, you wouldn’t be able to sit back and watch TB abuse this whole team. He didn’t answer the bell. I’ve seen enough.

To me there’s nothing worse than being physically capable and lacking the courage to step up.

No more fake tough guys. Willing tough guys. Even more so, tough guys that can be counted on. That...would change the whole “tenor” of this team.

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I wonder how Bergy is doing with his groin issue? While we're all lamenting the idea of a shortened season opening with Marchand and Pasta out, if Bergeron gets an early injury or tweaks that groin again I think we could be looking at a lost season and a lost chance at another playoff berth. This is the year that we're gonna see the kids sink or swim. Love it or hate it we're also gonna see if Sweeneys draft choices are capable. If Bergy's groin is fixable I wish that he would've had it taken care of as soon as the playoffs ended so I guess whatever the problem is, there's no surgical "fix" for it or I'm assuming it would've be done.
Agree Bergeron should have had it taken care of, this has been an ongoing thing for him for the past 3-4 years.

Reactions: Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ritchie deserves shitting on. If you’re even supposed to be half a tough guy, you wouldn’t be able to sit back and watch TB abuse this whole team. He didn’t answer the bell. I’ve seen enough.

To me there’s nothing worse than being physically capable and lacking the courage to step up.

No more fake tough guys. Willing tough guys. Even more so, tough guys that can be counted on. That...would change the whole “tenor” of this team.
What the f*** is a fake tough guy? I see that tossed around and legitimately have no idea what it means.

6'9'' 255 pound Chara didn't really assert himself into anything other than get walked like a dog.

Bjork is supposed to be a goal scorer and he can't do that. Kase was, too.

I think it's an overall issue with the makeup of this team. The team is small, the time is soft. Ritchie for sure could have done more, and been better. That can be said about literally everyone on that team.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I know this has been put out there, but if DeBrusk is going to get traded anyways?

If Boston and Winnipeg were to complete a deal, the Jets would have interest in Jake DeBrusk and Brandon Carlo. The Bruins would likely be reluctant to meet the Jets demands, so it's certainly going to be tough for a trade to materialize. Picks and prospects may have to be involved, potentially from both sides.
I would love Laine here, but can;t see Carlo going, DeBrusk sure, but maybe Grizz instead, or if Carlo did go, probably Morrissey coming back as well, other wise you create one hole whole filling another. If they did get Morrissey, then maybe Grizz is still dealt for a another RHD. He did just re-sign though.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

To me, it's an absolute no-brainer if the Bruins can pull it off.

People around here B*&^&* and moan about the Bruins always being the team getting the 3 ponies in exchange for the horse. Well here you can potentially get a horse for two ponies. Very nice ponies I'll admit, but ponies none the less.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

At the moment there is one still UFA in Matt Martin, also one in house in Frederic. Martin has long established himself as a solid NHL player, Frederic should be given the opportunity.

Ideally Ritchie becomes a mid six forward but it is up to him, a "all the tools, no toolbox" player who can be as good as he wants or just collect a few more checks and then go to Europe with his big brother who also wasted his talent.

Martin and Frederic are guys you can count on to step up. I also think Lauzon is as well. If they had Ritchie, Miller, Lauzon or Frederic in the line up last year when Rask was run by Columbus I don't think it would have gone unanswered,regardless of what Cassidy wants. The players may have to start policing themselves regardless of what Cassidy wants, which is no retaliation and no physical play.

Becuase that two minute power play in game 58 in February is way more important than standing up for your teammates. :sarcasm:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

People around here B*&^&* and moan about the Bruins always being the team getting the 3 ponies in exchange for the horse. Well here you can potentially get a horse for two ponies. Very nice ponies I'll admit, but ponies none the less.

Same here, I'd do that deal in a nanosecond.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario

first off, I'm not defending Ritchie because he didnt look in Boston. however, a fourth line combo in 18/19 of Wagner, Kuraly, Nordstrom and Acciari played 289 games with 149 pms. you want to talk fake tough guys, start with moving some of those 4th lines rather than reward them with contract extensions. seems Kuraly and Wagner are immune from heat
edit. btw, he also had more points then the 4 mentioned

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
why not?

He's the one who wrote about it isn't he. I think he's just thinks these things up in his head and then says there's a source. Im not buying anything that comes from him. its easy to predict trades and say so and has been rumored to be going here and there, and then back it up by saying it comes source. To me its cheap journalism.

MURPHY'S TAKE

Murphy: Bruins Can Redeem Offseason with Patrik Laine Trade

a212f8767a876c05d472b166ca104f22

Published
1 month ago
on
October 18, 2020
By
Jimmy Murphy

An NHL source has confirmed to Boston Hockey Now that Sweeney did due diligence on Laine in the weeks following his team’s second-round series loss to the Tampa Bay
There are many things to rag on him about. Not that it's not okay to talk about now, but his article was talked about here previously around the time it came out. I think whoever wrote the article that was linked in the last page deserves just as much criticism for one, writing an article about a rumor or whatever it should be called a month later it was brought to light, two, basically summarizing the article used as a source, and three, considering Slainte an insider/source at all. The article even said Slainte works at NBC Sports which isn't even true.

Would I do the deal? Yes, but the Bruins arguably already need a top 4D. Getting rid of Carlo is going to hurt without a replacement.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yes. Do the opposite of what Bergevin did in Montreal. He took over a lottery team in 012.........and built in into a another lottery team by 019.
Has not won a play off round in 5 years.

and get this .............his job has never been in jeopardy !

"Good work....if you can find it".
Yeah that true and I sure don't want this management team in charge of the rebuild.

Reactions: bbfan419

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
What the f*** is a fake tough guy? I see that tossed around and legitimately have no idea what it means.

6'9'' 255 pound Chara didn't really assert himself into anything other than get walked like a dog.

Bjork is supposed to be a goal scorer and he can't do that. Kase was, too.

I think it's an overall issue with the makeup of this team. The team is small, the time is soft. Ritchie for sure could have done more, and been better. That can be said about literally everyone on that team.

What it means is what Ritchie put on tape...or even what you’ve described him as in previous posts...

A guy that’s capable or being a physical presence, but doesn’t bring it 90% of the time. Doesn’t really want to. Yet, “oh Ritchie...you better watch out for him.” Why? Because he might take a stupid hook or hold? Certainly not because he might stand up for team mates. He’s put it on tape that he won’t.

“Fake tough guy” suits him perfectly. He’s a fraud. That isn’t a part of his game, or more accurately, it rarely is...certainly nothing that can be counted on...

Kuraly has scored some big goals but I wouldn’t call him a goal scorer. Ritchie has the size and if he was willing could be a physical force, but he isn’t willing, so he’s any-kind-of-tough-guy only in name.

As I’ve alluded to, give me someone who is willing first. You can’t get anywhere without that. Get him gone. He doesn’t have the mentality.

You keep bringing up Bjork, I don’t know why. Yes, there are wimpy guys on this team...I don’t know how that gives Ritchie a pass to stand and watch.

I’ll agree with the Ritchie supporters who say he was brought in partly to address the snarl problem...I guess the crux is, he didn’t even make a dent. He wasn’t even willing. Total flop there. Misdiagnosis.

The TB series showed me who he is and what he will tolerate.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
At the moment there is one still UFA in Matt Martin, also one in house in Frederic. Martin has long established himself as a solid NHL player, Frederic should be given the opportunity.

Ideally Ritchie becomes a mid six forward but it is up to him, a "all the tools, no toolbox" player who can be as good as he wants or just collect a few more checks and then go to Europe with his big brother who also wasted his talent.

Martin and Frederic are guys you can count on to step up. I also think Lauzon is as well. If they had Ritchie, Miller, Lauzon or Frederic in the line up last year when Rask was run by Columbus I don't think it would have gone unanswered,regardless of what Cassidy wants. The players may have to start policing themselves regardless of what Cassidy wants, which is no retaliation and no physical play.

Becuase that two minute power play in game 58 in February is way more important than standing up for your teammates. :sarcasm:

I'm still hoping Ritchie carves himself a Matt Martin-esque roll on the team. I think he's stuck trying to be the guy who was drafted 10th overall and not the guy who he is today. If he continues his ass-halfery approach, he'll end up joining his brother in the AHL.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I'm still hoping Ritchie carves himself a Matt Martin-esque roll on the team. I think he's stuck trying to be the guy who was drafted 10th overall and not the guy who he is today. If he continues his ass-halfery approach, he'll end up joining his brother in the AHL.
Whatever he becomes, he has to show up in a physically fit state and go from there. It’s all up to him. Even the bottom layers on the team need to be physically ready to go or they are finished.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

If this is Primeau, Stuart and Sturm for Thornton then we probably do want to do it.

Sure is hard giving up the two young guys with Good attitudes and significant skill. For what it’s worth I think Stuart was more highly regarded then Carlo and DeBrusk to me is a bit more valuable then Sturm plus Primeau. Seems all in all a fair comparison in value for a star player.

Reactions: TCB and BruinDust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad