Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Do we have a development camp shortly? Saw Holloway, Lavoie and Kesselring in town this afternoon.

Doesn’t seem like there is one this year.

They have invited a bunch of undrafted guys to training camp though. Usually those guys would get development camp invites.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I see a number of Kesselring fans on this site. His numbers from last year don't look all that impressive. Does he have more offensive potential, or is he a Larsson clone as mentioned in the article?
I think he'll wind up like Larsson but hopefully with some better offensive chops.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think he'll wind up like Larsson but hopefully with some better offensive chops.

I don't know where the Larsson comp came from. This is a slender, still physically immature player whose calling card was more good skater as a bigger man with some offensive abilities while not overtly physical. As described by his own Coaching Dad, ‘he skates well for a big kid. He’s not overly physical, but he’s smart and can get things going on the powerplay.’

Sounds like a solid package of potential. But I'd guess two solid AHL seasons away from knowing what the player will be.

Phillip Kemp might be closer to a shutdown type d in the prospect pool. Though not necessarily the assertive physical, abrasive game that Larsson plays.

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
Is Bourgault training out west to get ready for the prospect camp before he goes back to his Q team? Not sure why he's not playing.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't know where the Larsson comp came from. This is a slender, still physically immature player whose calling card was more good skater as a bigger man with some offensive abilities while not overtly physical. As described by his own Coaching Dad, ‘he skates well for a big kid. He’s not overly physical, but he’s smart and can get things going on the powerplay.’

Sounds like a solid package of potential. But I'd guess two solid AHL seasons away from knowing what the player will be.

Phillip Kemp might be closer to a shutdown type d in the prospect pool. Though not necessarily the assertive physical, abrasive game that Larsson plays.
I'm just hoping he grows an edge to his game given his size. I hate seeing big guys who don't know how to throw their weight around a la Tyler Myers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm just hoping he grows an edge to his game given his size. I hate seeing big guys who don't know how to throw their weight around a la Tyler Myers.

Agree with you. I prefer a physical element within a d-corp. Most especially when playoff hockey marathon starts and the tight checking style takes over. Not confident a leopard can change its spot aka find a mean streak if it's not in their nature. But Kesselring sounds like moldable puddy given his young age and will have a great teacher in Dave "Charley" Manson.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

This.

Larsson clones = Markus Niemelainen or Vincent Desharnais or Lagesson.

Michael Kesselring is closer to Samorukov in style. Kesselring has an edge... he's not soft. The question is.. is his game good enough for the NHL? There are flashes of skill for sure.

Kemp I don't have comparable for.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Love how efficient and calm Munzenberger is. Good skater as well based on what saw in WJC. Does remind me of Nurse but not as gangly as Nurse was at that age.

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

Someone loves the Oilers. Guy's a Leaf writer, so can't blame it on fanboyism.

27. Broberg
29. Holloway
33. Bouchard
74. Lavoie
87. Savoie

Interesting they have Bouch below both Broberg and Holloway. My impression is he is in a unique position this season to be able to launch his career and never look back, assuming he plays to his potential. These rankings aren't just for this season but Bouch has the highest ceiling and earliest impact as far as I can tell. <shrug>

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Interesting they have Bouch below both Broberg and Holloway. My impression is he is in a unique position this season to be able to launch his career and never look back, assuming he plays to his potential. These rankings aren't just for this season but Bouch has the highest ceiling and earliest impact as far as I can tell. <shrug>

Yeah, I find there to be a few odd choices on that list, but it's interesting to see Savoie/Lavoie get some attention.

Reactions: oilers'72

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Love how efficient and calm Munzenberger is. Good skater as well based on what saw in WJC. Does remind me of Nurse but not as gangly as Nurse was at that age.

Watched about half that video so small sample size. Made only one good pass of consequence in the first two periods of that game. A few missed passes, one went for icing. Very solid defensively though. He moves well and lays the lumber down in front of the net. Made it really tough on Russia to stand in front.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The Q is taking a break from their preseason schedule until September 10th, possibly to accommodate those in rookie camps. WHL preseason starts on September 10th and OHL on the 3rd.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad