Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I golfed with a couple NHLers yesterday who aren’t in the Oilers system but have played against and skated with Broberg. They were RAVING about the kid. Exact quote was “kid is going to be a stud. He’s just so big and fast”. Nice hearing guys outside the org think highly of the kid.

After that comment, though, the other guy goes “until he has a bad 12 games and the fans run him out of town”. Lol. Pretty sure he was kidding but not ideal to hear NHL guys joke about that haha

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I golfed with a couple NHLers yesterday who aren’t in the Oilers system but have played against and skated with Broberg. They were RAVING about the kid. Exact quote was “kid is going to be a stud. He’s just so big and fast”. Nice hearing guys outside the org think highly of the kid.

After that comment, though, the other guy goes “until he has a bad 12 games and the fans run him out of town”. Lol. Pretty sure he was kidding but not ideal to hear NHL guys joke about that haha
Good to hear. Thanks for passing that along. This will be an interesting year for Broberg. Will he continue to develop on the trajectory that we hope? Pulling for him.

Reactions: TB12 and oilers'72

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I've been running him out of town since day 1 :P

It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to the NA game. He is definitely big and fast but really doesn't use his size. Luckily he has been playing against adults and has been learning that speed really doesn't matter without the hockey IQ and defensive skill to go with it.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Yeah not exactly a secret that large segments of the Oilers fan base can be impatient and emotionally irrational...or is that irrationally emotional? Either way hopefully Broberg has a great year this coming season. It would be a boost if he could force his way onto the roster.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Thanks for sharing! Personally I think Broberg's going to have a pretty seamless transition to North America with his mindset and pro experience as a teenager. Some farm time to aid the transition and Dave Manson finishing school will help to refine his game. I'm anticipating a quick learner, high character person, and great physical gifts.

EDIT: Trade price aside, this is also where I think Duncan Keith will add residual value to the Oilers organization as a role model and mentor for prospects.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to the NA game. He is definitely big and fast but really doesn't use his size. Luckily he has been playing against adults and has been learning that speed really doesn't matter without the hockey IQ and defensive skill to go with it.

Thanks for sharing! Personally I think Broberg's going to have a pretty seamless transition to North America with his mindset and pro experience as a teenager. Some farm time to aid the transition and Dave Manson finishing school will help to refine his game. I'm anticipating a quick learner, high character person, and great physical gifts.

EDIT: Trade price aside, this is also where I think Duncan Keith will add residual value to the Oilers organization as a role model and mentor for prospects.

Agreed with CycloneSweep.

I believe his development has been "disappointing" in regards to the high expectations many have for him. But he has been developing and does have a great physical advantage.

With the little bit I have followed his career to date he has a long way to go before we even start saying NHL. A full season with improvement on a lot of his game. Very raw still, very unpolished is my understanding.

Many liken his physical capabilities to Nurse but as CycloneSweep mentions he does not use it well yet and Nurse defensively was head and shoulders above him.

Edit: I'm hoping Keith will be gone before Broberg gets any NHL time. Either 2 years of seasoning or an early retirement. One can dream.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed with CycloneSweep.

I believe his development has been "disappointing" in regards to the high expectations many have for him. But he has been developing and does have a great physical advantage.

With the little bit I have followed his career to date he has a long way to go before we even start saying NHL. A full season with improvement on a lot of his game. Very raw still, very unpolished is my understanding.

Many liken his physical capabilities to Nurse but as CycloneSweep mentions he does not use it well yet and Nurse defensively was head and shoulders above him.

Edit: I'm hoping Keith will be gone before Broberg gets any NHL time. Either 2 years of seasoning or an early retirement. One can dream.

Beauty of opinion. We've all got them.

Three years of pro development as a teenager is pretty rare company. His numbers are reasonable to other Swede d-men on similar teenage deep end pro development paths. And as they say 'players know' ... nice to hear the anecdotal comment provided by the poster.

Rubber hits the road this fall. We'll all see how this top prospect fares within an organization focused entirely on his development. I'm not sure Nurse is someone I would look to in comparing physical capabilities - at least in terms of playing a hard, abrasive and mean component to defending. Moreso I look to more traditional type of Swedish defenders not named Ulf Samuellson. Again where Klefbom is likely a closer comparison with strong physical attributes but a style that doesn't necessarily look to run the opposition out of the rink.

About Keith, we'll see what he brings but one automatic he delivers is a role model for fitness and conditioning and credibility of a defender whose won all the team and personal awards there are to win. I guess I attribute more value to that than you. But again we see both situations differently and that's a-ok.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Beauty of opinion. We've all got them.

Three years of pro development as a teenager is pretty rare company. His numbers are reasonable to other Swede d-men on similar teenage deep end pro development paths. And as they say 'players know' ... nice to hear the anecdotal comment provided by the poster.

Rubber hits the road this fall. We'll all see how this top prospect fares within an organization focused entirely on his development. I'm not sure Nurse is someone I would look to in comparing physical capabilities - at least in terms of playing a hard, abrasive and mean component to defending. Moreso I look to more traditional type of Swedish defenders not named Ulf Samuellson. Again where Klefbom is likely a closer comparison with strong physical attributes but a style that doesn't necessarily look to run the opposition out of the rink.

About Keith, we'll see what he brings but one automatic he delivers is a role model for fitness and conditioning and credibility of a defender whose won all the team and personal awards there are to win. I guess I attribute more value to that than you. But again we see both situations differently and that's a-ok.

To each their own as you say.

I'm not sold Keith brings anything to the Oilers but I hope I'm wrong.

Broberg has solid numbers for a guy his age and experience but I had thought his last season ended with a downward trend in his development.

I also think, probably one of the few, that Samourukov is well ahead of him in terms of being NHL ready.

No reason to rush him. I like the Klefbom comparison. I found him extremely difficult to watch and would have much prefer that he ironed out his game in the AHL rather than the nhl those first couple years.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
To each their own as you say.

I'm not sold Keith brings anything to the Oilers but I hope I'm wrong.

Broberg has solid numbers for a guy his age and experience but I had thought his last season ended with a downward trend in his development.

I also think, probably one of the few, that Samourukov is well ahead of him in terms of being NHL ready.

No reason to rush him. I like the Klefbom comparison. I found him extremely difficult to watch and would have much prefer that he ironed out his game in the AHL rather than the nhl those first couple years.

We'll all know more as this season unfolds.

Clearly we value intangibles and experience differently with a player like Keith. Your downward trend on Broberg I see as a young player who had some tough injuries and a teenager on pro team that shortened its bench to win in playoffs. I would have obviously loved a strong finish to his third year of pro development but winning trumps development and his club team saw the benefit of older, more experienced players were best positioned to help win. The injuries at U20 were a greater disappointment for me but a silver lining we saw this kid gut out injuries to play high minutes even as his team was slipping from usual high standard.

Without question I think Broberg will start in Bako, adjust to North America ice and culture, receive excellent coaching to refine his game, and gain invaluable minutes and experience. No need to rush him. I do however see a fast learner and strong competitor that will put it together sooner than later.

Samaroukov is a year ahead in development so likely closer to the Oilers roster. I hope his shoulder injury doesn't inhibit his growth and development. Totally cheering for these two top prospect d-men to be part of a strong future d-corp in Edmonton.

But this is a huge fall for all of the points above.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Did you watch the WJC in Canada though?

Reactions: oilers'72

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did you watch the WJC in Canada though?
Yes he looked okay although injured. The injury made it look hard to evaluate. Didn't do much offensively outside of I think it was their first game. He skates really well. But again, the world Juniors isn't the best gauge either as skating ability can cover for a lot of issues against other juniors. The NHL is a much harder and faster league where just be fast, doesn't cover for their issues anymore

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

EDIT: Oilers come out with the gif.

Oilers pick Bourgault saves his best for last at Canada's camp

The first play is Xavi's goal as he drives the net, the next sequence is his 2nd assist, the play to the point before the tip in front.

Good showing with Bolduc, building chemistry never hurts your chances. Maybe they get fixated on bringing an all QMJHL line. Will be interesting to see if the Q or the Dub have a leg up on the OHL guys heading into December.

---

So if Maxim Denezhkin was traded to this Lada Togliatti team and they don't have a KHL affiliate team, how does it work over there?

Is he a free agent and can sign with any KHL team, or does the Togliatti team controls his rights and a KHL team must trade/pay for him?

This actually doesn't sound great for him. Kind of get the feeling it could hold him back from getting looks for the KHL.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad