Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
In the forward group we are now starting to get excited about a handful of prospects that haven’t even played a pro game in North America yet. That beats waiting annually for the Marody, Benson etc to turn into bottom six NHL tweeners

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In the forward group we are now starting to get excited about a handful of prospects that haven’t even played a pro game in North America yet. That beats waiting annually for the Marody, Benson etc to turn into bottom six NHL tweeners

We seem to have some solid skill coming along in NA and Europe. Marody was promising until his concussion and Benson is getting close to shit or get off the pot territory.

Reactions: oilers'72

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I think Bensons only chance of making this team is if we see at least 2 top 6 guys go down this year, or Tippett decided to further spread the wealth of forwards after some bottom 6 injuries.

Tippett doesn’t seem to trust him in any type of shutdown role, plus he seems to be the kind of player who complements the line rather than driving it.

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like

Turris Mcdavid JP
Kahun Drai Neal
Benson Nuge Yam
Ennis Khaira Archi

with the third line getting soft offensive minutes. As far as I know all 3 of them have shown chemistry in the past as well.

I can’t realistically see it happening, but would be interesting imo.

Reactions: Oilhawks

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
No matter how hard you hammer a square peg into a round hole, it won’t fit. Why would a right handed center who is too slow on the 3rd line find success on his off wing with the fastest guy on the planet. He either provides offence on his line or sits beside Chiasson at the popcorn stand

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Bensons only chance of making this team is if we see at least 2 top 6 guys go down this year, or Tippett decided to further spread the wealth of forwards after some bottom 6 injuries.

Tippett doesn’t seem to trust him in any type of shutdown role, plus he seems to be the kind of player who complements the line rather than driving it.

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like

Turris Mcdavid JP
Kahun Drai Neal
Benson Nuge Yam
Ennis Khaira Archi

with the third line getting soft offensive minutes. As far as I know all 3 of them have shown chemistry in the past as well.

I can’t realistically see it happening, but would be interesting imo.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't been all that impressed with Kahun so far and am not ready to call him a long term solution in our top 6. That maybe Benson's opening if an injury happens. But he needs to take advantage if he gets an opportunity with Holloway likely chomping at the bit to get on the big club.

Reactions: 3IR

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Benson,in the past three years, has had the opportunity to jump ahead of Nygard, Khaira,Shore,Kahun,Neal,Archibald,Ennis and others. At best, right now, he would be a throw in on a trade or a Seattle expansion deal. The end is near!

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Benson,in the past three years, has had the opportunity to jump ahead of Nygard, Khaira,Shore,Kahun,Neal,Archibald,Ennis and others. At best, right now, he would be a throw in on a trade or a Seattle expansion deal. The end is near!
I disagree. He’s had 7 scattered nhl low minute games.

he’s a player drafted and developed and has thrived in an offensive role in every league he’s been in, but was given 7 games with bad (not just bad because they were bottom 6, but they were oilers bottom 6) players.

I don’t think he’s going to be a world beater, but I think he might be able to ride shotgun as a complementary player in a top 6, or on a soft minutes third line. I believe he was also PKing in the AHL and with us last year in his few games.

He hasn’t really had a good opportunity, because he’s had the benefit of being ineligible for waivers compared to the guys you mentioned, while also not being really suited for a strict shutdown role.

Whatever happens with him, I won’t be too upset, but the kid has definitely not had the opportunity you suggest he has.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
The 121 AHL games got him 24 goals. To me that doesn’t get you any Edmonton top six action. If he was here he’d be on the taxi squad. At least he’s playing in Bakersfield and hopefully killing penalties, a skill he will need if he plays in Edm

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't been all that impressed with Kahun so far and am not ready to call him a long term solution in our top 6. That maybe Benson's opening if an injury happens. But he needs to take advantage if he gets an opportunity with Holloway likely chomping at the bit to get on the big club.

It’s understandable from what I’ve seen why two NHL teams passed on him. Flashes of skill but not much finish, not enough battle like yams to keep a spot IMO.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Benson hasn't improved his skating from what I've seen in the single AHL game this season. He's a lesser version of Gagner, Granlund, Kahun at this point. Marody does look faster though but it could be that AHL this season is mostly ECHL quality.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's nice that the Oilers actually have some goalscorers in the system now instead of just all pass-first players. Savoie, Blumel and Lavoie are all great finishers. Would be nice if at least one of them were able to bring that at the NHL level in the future as well. Would really help out the big club.
Exactly.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Came in to catch up on some Lavoie talk. Thought there’d be more input. I see he’s leading his team in scoring and top five in the league in goals. Anything to tell or are other prospects just outperforming him this year?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Came in to catch up on some Lavoie talk. Thought there’d be more input. I see he’s leading his team in scoring and top five in the league in goals. Anything to tell or are other prospects just outperforming him this year?
Im quite sure you just want to hear the good....and not hear the bad.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Im quite sure you just want to hear the good....and not hear the bad.
Do you have something 'bad' to share about Lavoie? Go ahead, we can take it. All we see are the stats and they look pretty good. If there is more to share it would be appreciated here even if its negative

Reactions: Tube Skates

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Lavoie was an excellent goal scorer in junior and though big moves fairly well and has an excellent release. Now he is skating on the big ice and is the go to guy on his downtrodden team. He is getting lots of reps scoring and providing offense and maybe even enhancing his passing which was fairly good before.
So this is good right ....it certainly isnt a negative right? The downside of this is obvious.

Reactions: Tube Skates

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Whats the down side? He is playing in a mens league comfortably leading his team in goals and points while being 5 yrs younger than most there.

Much better than sitting on his ass at home playing nowhere.

Bouchard went through something very similar leading a bad team in Euro. He seems to be doing fine.

Lavoie's +/- is not good and im not sure how he accumalted 60+ PIMs.
There really is no obvious downside to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad