Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Anyone know anything of Tim Soderlund? Former teammate of Filip Berglund. Scouting reports seem rather promising. Undersized but owns a set of wheels, good PKer, high energy.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Anyone know anything of Tim Soderlund? Former teammate of Filip Berglund. Scouting reports seem rather promising. Undersized but owns a set of wheels, good PKer, high energy.

From everything I've read, he sounds like a poor man's Nygard.

Looks like Bako is shallow at LW, so he'll fill a role, but I'm guessing he'll be back in Sweden after next year.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
From everything I've read, he sounds like a poor man's Nygard.

Looks like Bako is shallow at LW, so he'll fill a role, but I'm guessing he'll be back in Sweden after next year.
Interesting thing is why use a space of the 50 man roster for him? Could get any AHL vet to do more than he has done. They then moved Folkes and his AHL contract to Rockford and Folkes had one goal in 6 games as opposed to Tim's zero in like 40 some NHL games.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Usually to be at least a 4th line NHLer you have the ability to produce decently in the AHL. Guy is horrible defensively there and is putting up ECHL call up numbers.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It's possible the Badgers denied his availability or he simply didn't want to miss any school. How many NCAA players got an invite?

This camp runs from July 28 to August 4 so definitely shouldn’t be a school thing. Only two NCAA players got invited and Power isn’t attending.

I have a feeling hockey Canada is heavily favouring CHL players considering the missed development time of the leagues, ohl didn’t even play

Fair point, definitely a possibility. Still seems like an oversight to me personally but I’m a huge fan of Savoie so I’ve got some bias there.

Reactions: oilers'72

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I like our prospect pool, if our window is 4 years our lineup by year 3/4 could look something like this

Hyman-Mcdavid-pulju
Nuge-drai-yam
Lavoie/savoie-Holloway-Bourgault
???-mcleod-???

nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-bear
Samorukov-???

???
konovalov

I included prospects I think have a realistic chance of contributing in 3/4 years

I think our prospects are set for our cup window and we should realistically look at moving our upcoming firsts for up grades where needed in our push

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I like our prospect pool, if our window is 4 years our lineup by year 3/4 could look something like this

Hyman-Mcdavid-pulju
Nuge-drai-yam
???-mcleod-???

nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-bear
Samorukov-???

???
konovalov

I included prospects I think have a realistic chance of contributing in 3/4 years

I think our prospects are set for our cup window and we should realistically look at moving our upcoming firsts for up grades where needed in our push
Are the Oilers holding a development camp this year? If so has the date been announced?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Hyman-Mcdavid-pulju
Nuge-drai-yam
???-mcleod-???

nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-bear
Samorukov-???

???
konovalov

Impossible to predict or even imagine 4 years from now. We don't know who of the prospects or youngsters might bomb, or who might come out of the woodwork. Or who we might trade for, or get as a free agent. To wit, your pencilled in Bear on defence is already dated.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Impossible to predict or even imagine 4 years from now. We don't know who of the prospects or youngsters might bomb, or who might come out of the woodwork. Or who we might trade for, or get as a free agent. To wit, your pencilled in Bear on defence is already dated.
It was just a simple projection of players in our system at the time as I stated, of course I’m not going to include players who’s rights are owned by other teams at the time of my posting

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Oilers prospects ranked 12th for skaters and 4th for goalies by Hockey Prospecting.

He does some pretty cool stuff with analytics.

You've maybe seen a few of his tweets that look like this:

I'm not sure analytics hold very much value when it comes to evaluating prospects, which is a game of projecting, not assessing how good a player is now. At least not yet. I'd be curious how Konovalov got a 93% chance of being an NHLer.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Oilers prospects ranked 12th for skaters and 4th for goalies by Hockey Prospecting.

He does some pretty cool stuff with analytics.

You've maybe seen a few of his tweets that look like this:

So he says Bouchard is really our only skater of note. Interesting

So only Bouchard has stat potential. Holloway and Broberg just complimentary

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not sure analytics hold very much value when it comes to evaluating prospects, which is a game of projecting, not assessing how good a player is now. At least not yet. I'd be curious how Konovalov got a 93% chance of being an NHLer.

The analytics part of it is a model that does the projecting based on how they match up with other players that have made the NHL.

Basically Konovalov has a 93% chance of being an NHLer by their model because 93% of all goalies in the KHL, at his age, with his numbers have made it.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The analytics part of it is a model that does the projecting based on how they match up with other players that have made the NHL.

Basically Konovalov has a 93% chance of being an NHLer by their model because 93% of all goalies in the KHL, at his age, with his numbers have made it.
Is it purely based on numbers or do they also take into account things like height? At 5'11 that could be a challenge for Konovalov.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Is it purely based on numbers or do they also take into account things like height? At 5'11 that could be a challenge for Konovalov.
I think that's mostly true for the KHL too and he is proven there. Francouz is essentially the same size and much older and at the same age was putting up similar numbers in the Czech league that he was in the KHL and Francouz NHL numbers have been good.

On the prospect cards he produces it has height there so I believe it's involved somewhat.

Konovalov may only be 5'11 but he is quite filled out. He is 2 inches shorter than a guy like Grubauer yet is heavier.

Saros and Nedelkovic are around his height too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad