2020/2021 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Depends on the cost, but I would expect that they want someone younger who they can keep for longer than 1 year and they have the young prospects/picks to make this happen.

They will not do this before the expansion draft. They currently have to protect Morrissey, DeMelo, and Pionk. Anyone they add will need to be exposed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Demko is going to be ufa by the time they’ve had a good enough look at him.

Coming up on 8 drafts ago.
He is ufa in 2023. Sooner or later they have to see what they have.

that’s the risk or the markstrom/Demko decision.

markstrom better now but are they contending now and if he declines in years 5/6 you have 26/27 year old Petey and Hughes with a goalie you can’t move.

flip side is that Demko may never be as good as the glimpse he showed against Vegas.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

markstrom better now but are they contending now and if he declines in years 5/6 you have 26/27 year old Petey and Hughes with a goalie you can’t move.

flip side is that Demko may never be as good as the glimpse he showed against Vegas.
I wonder if Benning checked to see the trade value of Demko last off season, and if the value was enough to dump Loui. The money saved could have signed Marky, right? Then with the extra (and don’t sign Jake) keep Tofu and Tanev. Buy out Sutter if extra cap is needed, but keep your three key UFAs. My God, we kept crap, and didn’t get value out of Demko.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So who is HFcanucks cheering for in the Canadian division if the Canucks don't make it?

Here's how I would go

Jets

Medium gap

Habs

Large gap

Flames

even bigger gap

Oilers

ginormous gap

Leafs
Flames or Leafs. Maybe Jets

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I bet he gets a 2 year deal then. He won’t have been able to show enough to risk more.

Probably best anyways. Likely stays under $3m that way.

By the time they’ve decided it’s enough time to lock him up he’s 28 and likely wants to see what the market gives.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Very cool leaked presentation of Mike Gillis' pitch to the Pittsburgh Penguins. I'm amazed how he hasn't landed a job yet in the NHL.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What's the report on Gillis? He's the only GM, other than Shero, who interests me.

He believes in data science and evidence-based decision-making, as well as a collaborative style of management while being smart enough to let people actually do their jobs in their areas of expertise. Needless to say, as an innovator, he was a big analytics guy in his time here before it was widely adopted around the NHL.

At the heart of his personality he's never been afraid to do things differently. Notoriously known for not being a member of the OBC.

Not particularly friendly to the media (lol), which is probably one of the reasons why he might not go for a GM role but possibly as President somewhere else instead. I could see it happening though. Either way, he's a guy who's willing to look at his strengths and weaknesses and actually self-evaluate. He's spent the past few years away from the game learning about how other top professional organizations sustain success and I'm sure will do well anywhere he goes.

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
What's the report on Gillis? He's the only GM, other than Shero, who interests me.
Gillis was excellent at his job and everything related to winning hockey games. Terrific with the cap. His various interventions with things like sleep scientists, travel schedule, etc etc seemed to deliver results as the players all hit new career highs with him and the team played better than the sum of its parts.

His weakest attribute was his dealings with the media, who hated him and agitated the clueless against him. His drafting was not good in Vancouver. He inherited a horrific scouting department and didn't overhaul it enough to change the results significantly. He liked the bargain bin a little too much and didn't sell big futures to acquire a big win now piece, he was chasing Detroits perma-contender model.

There are not many GM's in the league I'd rather have than Gillis. Definitely less than 5. Maybe less than 3. He did not deserve to be fired on merit but he needs someone to handle interfacing with the media and public for him as that really backfired on him here.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
3.70 .888
4.33 .890

The Canucks goaltending, on the other hand, has been stellar.

This isn't aging well.

Our 25 year old, 1 million dollar goaltender now has .909 save percentage but hey for 5 million dollars more and 5 more years, you get a .911 save percentage.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
This isn't aging well.

Our 25 year old, 1 million dollar goaltender now has .909 save percentage but hey for 5 million dollars more and 5 more years, you get a .911 save percentage.

I like how you ignored my response to you earlier.

EDIT: Here it is, feel free to go back and re-read it:

2020/2021 Around the League Thread

In case you missed it: I agreed with you that it's a little silly to be putting a microscope on the goaltending so early ("Thanks for making my point")

But, hey, why have a good faith discussion when you can get into a pissing match over nothing?

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020

Very cool leaked presentation of Mike Gillis' pitch to the Pittsburgh Penguins. I'm amazed how he hasn't landed a job yet in the NHL.

Having his son purposefully "leak" out his pitch is pretty embarrassing. Guy seems to be getting more and more desperate.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-1-27_22-56-25.png

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Can you imagine having to wait till 10PM to watch a hockey game? I don't know how Eastern fans do it.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Can you imagine having to wait till 10PM to watch a hockey game? I don't know how Eastern fans do it.
No Dave I cant. I wake up at 5:15 for work, NO chance Im staying up til 1am to watch my team lose

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The report is that Gillis was terminated in 2014 and it's nearly 7 years and he hasn't landed a front office job in the NHL since. As for reasons why? Depends on what your wish to believe. He took time off which I agree he needed to. Figured by 2016 end of regular season, he would be pressing for another role, but I am still not sure which teams he actually did an interview with.

Never spoke to the media at all until his contract expired in 2018 and when he finally was interested in finding another front office opportunity, nothing has emerged for him.

Says he would rather be the President.

Not sure how most teams setup their operations. But, is the president mostly a business operations person rather than a hockey side guy?

Personally, I don't ever expect Gillis to land a front office NHL job. Probably has been out of it for too long and doesn't have the cozy connections to get him back into the game. Other GMs who get terminated, like Burke, Nonis, Lombardi, Shero, Fletcher, etc. get back into the game within 2 years. Probably why these guys have had multiple opportunities as a GM.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The report is that Gillis was terminated in 2014 and it's nearly 7 years and he hasn't landed a front office job in the NHL since. As for reasons why? Depends on what your wish to believe. He took time off which I agree he needed to. Figured by 2016 end of regular season, he would be pressing for another role, but I am still not sure which teams he actually did an interview with.

Never spoke to the media at all until his contract expired in 2018 and when he finally was interested in finding another front office opportunity, nothing has emerged for him.

Says he would rather be the President.

Not sure how most teams setup their operations. But, is the president mostly a business operations person rather than a hockey side guy?

Personally, I don't ever expect Gillis to land a front office NHL job. Probably has been out of it for too long and doesn't have the cozy connections to get him back into the game. Other GMs who get terminated, like Burke, Nonis, Lombardi, Shero, Fletcher, etc. get back into the game within 2 years. Probably why these guys have had multiple opportunities as a GM.

A former agent who may have burned bridges prior to becoming GM and possibly burned a few more during. It's unfortunate. Thought he was very astute, but the role of GM (or President for that matter) is politically fraught and power structure in the league is very tight-knit and insular.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A former agent who may have burned bridges prior to becoming GM and possibly burned a few more during. It's unfortunate. Thought he was very astute, but the role of GM (or President for that matter) is politically fraught and power structure in the league is very tight-knit and insular.
I figured that Seattle was his best shot and the one he truly wanted. Victor De bonis, former Canucks front office Exec whom Gillis worked with in Vancouver, now works for Seattle. If that connection didn't get him in, then I don't think he's ever getting back in.

I don't care one way or another. he was terminated when was around 54, going on 55. He turned 62 back in December. Most people his age now are looking forward to retirement.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

I think its a year 3 gamble. The team, unfortunately, was not structured to compete years 1-2 of markstroms contract.the gamble is that by year 3 Demko will be as good or better, with the balance gradually shifting towards Demko as time progresses through years 4-6.

I personally think it's a good gamble to have made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad