2020/2021 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Flames just had a players’ only meeting to vent. Going to be a serious meltdown in Cowtown if their guys don’t support Tkatchuck’s battles. God, I hope they keep losing.
The reactionary fans are already calling for the GM to 'blow up' the team..which is dumb ..they haven't even played 10 games yet.

Panicky fans losing their shit in Canadian market is nothing new.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, I wondered about that myself. With these teams seeing each other so often, the games will get more emotional and Tkachuk will be in the middle of it on most nights, either because he's stirring it up, or someone's trying to get a piece of him and he retaliates. I wonder how he'll hold up over the season. He's a young guy so I'm sure he'll be fine, but I think later in the season he's going to have some nights where he might think twice about being the center of attention.
I think the same goes for his brother. They give out a lot of punishment but they receive more that anyone. Players like Chara and Lucic did not receive abuse like this. Players are not afraid of the Thachuks. They are very effective even last night he drew penalties. I just do not see it as sustainable. They need to play like Miller and pick their spots. I would love them on the Canucks however I predict they will wear down.

Reactions: Nucker101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don’t think trading Draisaitl is the play. Top 5 player in the world on a very good contract. I don’t believe you are going to get proper value back. You can build a decent bottom 6 for cheap, you just gotta be a bit savvy and mostly don’t fall into the trap of paying for names. The backend is obviously more complicated and they have a couple of good pieces (imo- Bear and Nurse) but really need some help on that front, and in net obviously.

I think they just need to get to an adequate level and the talent up front will take over. I think they’re closer than likely many here believe and can make it work with roughly this core.

This.

They were 9th in the NHL last year and finished ahead of us. It wasn't like they were terrible and they've moved past being a Buffalo situation at this point.

Losing Klefbom and his 25 minutes/game is massive and they've missed him a lot. But eventually their PP will take off and they'll win their share of games.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This.

They were 9th in the NHL last year and finished ahead of us. It wasn't like they were terrible and they've moved past being a Buffalo situation at this point.

Losing Klefbom and his 25 minutes/game is massive and they've missed him a lot. But eventually their PP will take off and they'll win their share of games.
As a Canuck fan, I’m praying they’d be stupid enough to trade Drai

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Wonder if Marky,Tanev, and Leivo are saying, “what the hell is this crap?”

Seriously, I almost prefer Juolevi over M Tkachuk. Much harder to win with that kind of stuff going on with key players.

Same as WPG, leadership group appears rotten to the core to me. They just have had more talent up front, and better goaltending until Marky went to cowtown.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Seriously, I almost prefer Juolevi over M Tkachuk. Much harder to win with that kind of stuff going on with key players.

Same as WPG, leadership group appears rotten to the core to me. They just have had more talent up front, and better goaltending until Marky went to cowtown.
Kelly Hrudy mentioned that the Flames locker room in recent years has been less talkative than other locker rooms he’s been around. I can see why the Flames targeted guys like Tanev and Marky then. Seems like the Flames aren’t the most tight knit group off the ice.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Kelly Hrudy mentioned that the Flames locker room in recent years has been less talkative than other locker rooms he’s been around. I can see why the Flames targeted guys like Tanev and Marky then. Seems like the Flames aren’t the most tight knit group off the ice.

The room in Calgary is a huge issue. Calgary is the team we outbid for Jay Beagle.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I don’t think trading Draisaitl is the play. Top 5 player in the world on a very good contract. I don’t believe you are going to get proper value back. You can build a decent bottom 6 for cheap, you just gotta be a bit savvy and mostly don’t fall into the trap of paying for names. The backend is obviously more complicated and they have a couple of good pieces (imo- Bear and Nurse) but really need some help on that front, and in net obviously.

I think they just need to get to an adequate level and the talent up front will take over. I think they’re closer than likely many here believe and can make it work with roughly this core.

This isn't a perfect comp, but they're kinda WCE-Canucks esque.

The absolutely elite pieces up front are supplemented by some good complementary forwards (RNH, Yamamoto, Pulj, Kahun are all decent pieces), and the defense is around average (Nurse is Jovo-like in that he can be good, but also pretty bad, while Klefbom is steady the way Ohlund was). The main point of the comparison is that they're just being decimated by shitty goaltending.

That they didn't go the extra mile to sign Markstrom when he was genuinely considering it, and instead brought back Mike Smith is a travesty.

If we're way out of contention by the deadline, I'd love to snipe a high pick from them for Holtby.

Reactions: Ozone and NuxFan09

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I don't understand the logic of trading one of the big two. They're 24 and 25 on excellent contracts. Their teams contract situation improves immensely in a year or two and are free from there.

I don't think it ever makes sense to trade superstars for cost-effective depth. At best you trade aging stars for blue chip prospects that fit the age of your new cores contention window better than the aging stars, but that doesn't apply to Edmonton.

Same with Buffalo and the Eichel/Dahlin trade talk.

Both teams lack the smart management filling out the roster with depth pieces and efficient contracts. Dealing your young superstars doesn't help much with that.

Reactions: I am toxic and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand the logic of trading one of the big two. They're 24 and 25 on excellent contracts. Their teams contract situation improves immensely in a year or two and are free from there.

I don't think it ever makes sense to trade superstars for cost-effective depth. At best you trade aging stars for blue chip prospects that fit the age of your new cores contention window better than the aging stars, but that doesn't apply to Edmonton.

Same with Buffalo and the Eichel/Dahlin trade talk.

Both teams lack the smart management filling out the roster with depth pieces and efficient contracts. Dealing your young superstars doesn't help much with that.

Both teams have also consistently lacked goaltending.

Edmonton trading Draisaitl or McDavid would be possibly the stupid thing I've ever seen in my lifetime following hockey. Absolutely insane.

Your problem isn't that you have two superstars, it's that you keep signing Mike Smith.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
in a rational world oilers trade mcd to rangers for some of their toys and cling to drai. they are never digging out of their hole that i can see.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
in a rational world oilers trade mcd to rangers for some of their toys and cling to drai. they are never digging out of their hole that i can see.

That is the least rational thing I've ever heard.

They were 9th in the NHL last year.

They need a goalie. Bite the bullet and overpay for a guy like Antti Raanta and everything about that team probably turns around in an instant.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
The reactionary fans are already calling for the GM to 'blow up' the team..which is dumb ..they haven't even played 10 games yet.

Panicky fans losing their shit in Canadian market is nothing new.
*Reactive

*Reactionary is a political term which means a right wing return to a previous time of less rights

:teach:

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
*Reactive

*Reactionary is a political term which means a right wing return to a previous time of less rights

:teach:

Unless it's used as a noun..

adjective
  1. (of a person or a set of views) opposing political or social liberalization or reform.
    "reactionary attitudes toward women's rights"
    Similar:
    right-wing
    conservative
    rightist
    ultra-conservative
noun
  1. a reactionary person.
    "he was later to become an extreme reactionary"

:thumbu: (at least I think)??

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
This isn't a perfect comp, but they're kinda WCE-Canucks esque.

The absolutely elite pieces up front are supplemented by some good complementary forwards (RNH, Yamamoto, Pulj, Kahun are all decent pieces), and the defense is around average (Nurse is Jovo-like in that he can be good, but also pretty bad, while Klefbom is steady the way Ohlund was). The main point of the comparison is that they're just being decimated by shitty goaltending.

That they didn't go the extra mile to sign Markstrom when he was genuinely considering it, and instead brought back Mike Smith is a travesty.

If we're way out of contention by the deadline, I'd love to snipe a high pick from them for Holtby.

That's actually a great idea! They'd bite too. He's a big name (Cup champ, Vezina winner) and his contract is manageable.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
9th? As I recall they didn't make the playoffs which makes them no better than 16th.
I think some fans think like this is Euro soccer, and the regular season matters for more than just getting into the playoffs. A team’s season is best judged by where they draft in round one, whether they use the pick or not. Being in the draft lottery equals a crappy season, and not making the playoffs.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This.

You frequently cited 5v5 stats as more indicative of team quality than general differentials when discussing the Canucks last year. The Oilers had a 5v5 goal differential of -14 last season, then lost in the qualifying round to a terrible team. The Canucks were -4.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What?

Edmonton had 83 points last year, 5 ahead of us, 2nd in the division, 4th in the conference. 9th in the league.
Where did they draft in round one of the 2020 draft? To me, that determines the previous season’s results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad