Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
They finally give Amirov the puck on the PP and not only does Russia gain entry, he also makes himself available to Chinnakov for a cross-ice play that is overlooked...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As Amirov gets seen more, his stick is going to rise. Amirov is showing off high end skill, while also was regarded to have a solid defensive side to his game and willingness to go into the tough areas.

Really excited to see how he does at the WJC.

Reactions: weems and Nooodles

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
It is worth noting that this Russian team seems to be a level ahead of Sweden's. In these kinds of games, I prefer to see more of what Amirov is doing - mature possession first play with safe plays made confidently. In a tourney, coaches will see what fits... sometimes it is a combination that works in the short-term but isn't feasible in the long-term and it's better to get answers against Sweden than against Canada.
yeah, this was wrong - the Swedish team is ~5 years older than the Russian squad in this Euro Hockey Tour (no Canada). It really is something that he's playing so well, I would have been happy with him not getting batterred and bruised playing against men.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
amirov with Matthews's shootout move - a man amongst boys even though the competition is about 5 years older than he is

He reminds me of Nylander in the sense there both terrific transition players and elite skaters that consistently create chances.

I would say he's more of a passer than a shooter but has a good shot.

His all around game has looked strong and he doesnt take shortcuts on plays.

Time will tell but this kid is definitely alot better than many gave him credit for when drafted.

Reactions: cookie

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Over 20:00 in ice time today. Second to only Podkolzin up front. He should play a huge role at the WJC.

Anyone know when the next game is? I'm not familiar with the Karjala Cup - do they do a round robin and then a playoff?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Over 20:00 in ice time today. Second to only Podkolzin up front. He should play a huge role at the WJC.

Anyone know when the next game is? I'm not familiar with the Karjala Cup - do they do a round robin and then a playoff?
the next game is tomorrow at 6:30 AM eastern time against the Czechs. It's their last game I think

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The reason he doesn’t look like Nylander to me is because his motor is different. Nylander is just super slick and effortless.

Amriov reminds me a lot more like Ehlers/Grabovski mix.

Grabovski was in top gear 100% of the game, Nylander and Amirov control the pace more and spend a lot more time passively disappearing in the play to give their teammates open passing options. Amirov is a lot less reckless than Grabovski, he seems to have a good sense of when to turn the jets on and when to play lower energy positional hockey. When he sees a hole to use his speed he does look a lot like Grabovski though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad