Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For sure, hindsight is 20/20. I don't like to judge scouting ability based on the one-offs they missed in hindsight. But when you draft your 1st round pick and act proud that you got a player that project to be a 3rd line defensive forward, that's just straight up bad imo.

He certainly didn't have high end potential, but I think his ceiling was a little higher than most remember now.

He was drafted as a 6'5 C who jumped from AAA to major junior at basically a PPG, then jumped to Team Canada quickly after his draft.

His production never improved and really wasn't much better at 20 than he was at 17.

Now that Gauthier's time with the Leafs organization is over and we can look over the whole body of work and development path, it seemed like what held him back was his laid back personality. He didn't have high end skills but he also didn't get a lot of mileage out of his enviable pro frame. Seemed like every year it was like, well, if the Goat can get a mean streak or play with a little more hunger he could be a real force like a Brian Boyle. Never happened.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You don't recall correctly because Burke was gone from the organization the season we took Gauthier.

Fair enough, the transition is fuzzy, I think I was confusing Nonis' comments (or lack of comments) with Burke & Biggs. But Nonis at the time did not see any offensive upside. Just that he was big and played good defense at a young age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad