Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Amirov was also a kind of player we needed in the pool. Well done by Dubas.
I never really bought the rumors that Dubas was interested in drafting Perrault.

I don't think we "need him" but if he turns into that Kuznetsov piece who comes over a few years after to reinforce the pre-existing core that will be an amazing addition. Realistically, if he comes over in 2 years that will be about Year 5 of Tavares, so you'll have an overlap between his ELC years and the last few years of Tavares' contract. You'll have one guy on the downside of his career, and possibly a high end talent to plug in and maybe replace him.

Reactions: qqaz and Saint Blue

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don't think we "need him" but if he turns into that Kuznetsov piece who comes over a few years after to reinforce the pre-existing core that will be an amazing addition. Realistically, if he comes over in 2 years that will be about Year 5 of Tavares, so you'll have an overlap between his ELC years and the last few years of Tavares' contract. You'll have one guy on the downside of his career, and possibly a high end talent to plug in and maybe replace him.
Agreed. I see it as, ideally, Nylander is the Tavares replacement at 2C and Amirov/Robertson will slide up to replace WN's offense on the wing and emerge as a new core piece.

You need these ELC pieces to supplant your core. Not just Connor Brown's, Trevor Moore's, Andreas Johnsson's, etc. but legitimate mid-round pieces that end up being core players ala Sharp, Point, Guentzel, etc. Very positive sign that the Leafs may have that coming in Amirov, Robertson, and possibly Abramov if he can continue on this trajectory.

This is why you swing for the fences on upside in mid-rounds.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
This player is not a player that is far away from being able to play in the NHL, but we have the luxury to leave him in Russia for a couple seasons. I think he's going to be a significant player.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
This player is not a player that is far away from being able to play in the NHL, but we have the luxury to leave him in Russia for a couple seasons. I think he's going to be a significant player.
Depending on how the AHL plans on starting up, and his KHL contract, I would try to bring him over next year and have him spend the year with the Marlies and our development staff.

Underagers have done really well in the past in Kapanen/Nylander/Sandin/Liljegren and he has the type of skill set to do well.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Depending on how the AHL plans on starting up, and his KHL contract, I would try to bring him over next year and have him spend the year with the Marlies and our development staff.

Underagers have done really well in the past in Kapanen/Nylander/Sandin/Liljegren and he has the type of skill set to do well.
He wouldn't be an underager. He'll be 20 next season.

Just saying however. Still wouldn't mind seeing him in the AHL next year then hoping he's ready for the NHL at 21.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

Thanks for posting this.

I didn't follow the draft much because I didn't expect us to have a relevant pick all year (and I'm not a draft guru type to begin with). So I knew very little about who Amirov was. The only guy I cared about in our pick range was Askarov (the russian goalie).

I'm more and more happy about the pick as time goes on. I love the philosophy to draft talent, and get your size and grit through other avenues. No reason to spend draft picks on players like Biggs or Gauthier, ever again.

Reactions: weems

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
“Man of the week” what an award, not player of the week. MAN! There must be roughly 3.5 billion males on planet and our very own “rod iron” took the mantle
As a Cricket fan, even their award is called Man of the Match.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
you like cricket?

I played cricket my whole life until I moved to Canada. not too many ‘man of the matches’ for me unfortunately, just not manly enough I guess
Love cricket. Up there with hockey as my favorite sports.
Yeah haven't won any awards or anything. I am one of those won't win matches but won't hurt you either players:laugh:

Reactions: Walshy7

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
“Man of the week” what an award, not player of the week. MAN! There must be roughly 3.5 billion males on planet and our very own “rod iron” took the mantle

s2iNqoRu_400x400.jpg

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
While I still think our D Corp has a lot to be desired it’s looking like this kid could be something special. I will eat humble pie on this years 1st round pick. Please you don’t need to remind me of my comments.

It will be interesting the influx of new players in the lineup over the next few years:

Radion
Robertson
Korskov-yeah I know he is much older but looks ready to bang with the big boys.

If those three become everyday players we will be able to navigate the cap crunch.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Thanks for posting this.

I didn't follow the draft much because I didn't expect us to have a relevant pick all year (and I'm not a draft guru type to begin with). So I knew very little about who Amirov was. The only guy I cared about in our pick range was Askarov (the russian goalie).

I'm more and more happy about the pick as time goes on. I love the philosophy to draft talent, and get your size and grit through other avenues. No reason to spend draft picks on players like Biggs or Gauthier, ever again.

I feel like if Gauthier was a 2nd round pick and we had a proper development system for him at 18 rather than at like 22, people would not be complaining about him.

High end 3C upside who turned out to be a solid 4th liner is not the worst thing in the world out of a 2nd round pick. Tampa just did that with Jack Finley and he has nowhere near the kind of defensive upside Gauthier has, and is not really that much better offensively I would say.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Amirov's team is rewarding him for his international performance by healthy scratching him I guess
To be fair, even Rindell didn't play in his 1st game returning. Might just be too get them rest, but I do agree Amirov will be back to 4th line 13th forward duty for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad