Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs Part II

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Agree again, not to mention undrafted options like Muzzin and mid rounders like Savard. You could also list 1st rounders like Trouba, Nurse, Ristolainen, etc. but they were all selected high for their shiny physical tools, yet all have one thing in common: low IQ and it's held them back.

There's the obvious Seth Jones' of the world, but good luck with finding that outside of a lottery pick.

Muzzin and Savard certainly fit the bill. The other 3 had higher upside which is why the went high in the draft. They were projected to be similar to Seth Jones and despite their size, physicality and skating abilities, its their low IQ, like you said, but more importantly to this argument their defence where they missed the mark.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think too many folks tend to overrate/emphasize single game performances in this tournament. I mean team canada more looked like rubbish last night, but a lot of those guys will go on to have fantastic NHL careers.

On the whole Amirov seemingly had. A strong tournament. He clearly has thr ability to produce offense, be a core player on his team plus he does all the little fundamental things right. Im excited to see what comes next with him

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthrax442

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Instead of arguing with you, the only way to get a real answer on who is right or wrong is to wait 10 years and see what happens. Neither of us are going to do that.

But big, strong, defensive defenseman have lots of value too, and not being an offensive defenseman on team Canada seems to mean he's no good. I personally believe he will develop into a very strong defensive defenseman.

Schneider doesn't have the offensive tools to be an offensive defenseman in junior, let alone the world juniors, let alone the professional level.

I don't see Schenider becoming anything more than a #4-6 Defenseman at the next level, and I'm more convinced it'll be closer to a 5 or 6. That's not something I'm touching in the top 15, so we'll certainly have to agree to disagree.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Schneider doesn't have the offensive tools to be an offensive defenseman in junior, let alone the world juniors, let alone the professional level.

I don't see Schenider becoming anything more than a #4-6 Defenseman at the next level, and I'm more convinced it'll be closer to a 5 or 6. That's not something I'm touching in the top 15, so we'll certainly have to agree to disagree.

Luke schenn 2.0. Which would have been great in 2003..... but the game has changed.

amirov looked great as a complimentary player with skill.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Remember Marner at WJC? Yea, stop taking this tournament so seriously when it comes to individual performances and future expectations. Ironically, I think Amirov was actually better than Marner was on a much worse team. But neither were bad by any means.

Only time I'd put a lot of stock into this tournament is when a later round pick exceeds expectations like Niemela. On the flip side top 5/10 picks struggling is somewhat the same but still far less noteworthy.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Fair opinion, but I'd like to point out I never said anything along the lines of the bolded.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Love that our prospects are so good that we're complaining about a forward known for his defense who also happened to lead Russia in scoring.
I remember saying recently that let's assume Sandin, Liljegren and Robertson all "graduate". Amirov would be our number 1 prospect with Niemala potentially being our number 2. I think it speaks to the scouting staff that none of these guys were even close to top ten picks yet all look like top 6 forwards or top pairing dmen. I'll refer back to how important draft picks are and how much I hated seeing JFJ/Burke/Lou toss them away.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sorry, I didn’t read this entire thread, where is he scheduled to play this year? KHL and then come over to NA depending on the world situation?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Sorry, I didn’t read this entire thread, where is he scheduled to play this year? KHL and then come over to NA depending on the world situation?
He's been playing for Salavat UFA in the KHL. I think he already signed an extension for next year as well. Likely comes over the year after that.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Amirov has an off game and that's it, he's done.

Schneider can lay one hit and that's it, conerstone dman for 15 years.

Honestly all this shit is stupid. It's largely Button's fault. One pre-draft mock opened these floodgates. Guarantee had he mocked someone else, over half this board wouldn't even know who Schneider is.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Amirov has an off game and that's it, he's done.

Schneider can lay one hit and that's it, conerstone dman for 15 years.

Honestly all this shit is stupid. It's largely Button's fault. One pre-draft mock opened these floodgates. Guarantee had he mocked someone else, over half this board wouldn't even know who Schneider is.

Here is the problem. We need a guy like Schneider's potential today (Maybe a 4). A guy like Amirov, we don't really NEED that today.

So, people want Schneider, because that is what we need, today, even if they might concede Amirov is the better player.

But a guy like Schneider, he isn't cracking the lineup for 3-5 years, and won't be prime for 5-7 years. But, people get caught up in the... we need this now routine. At some point, I hope we draft a bigger, heavy playing guy.. but not at the #15 spot, unless he has much more upside, than this. He's got more upside than a Luke Schenn offensively, but not by a huge margin. There was plenty of talk about Schneider here, in the draft thread though, so he was plenty known.

Amirov was the right pick at #15, and did quite well compared to his 2020 draft peers. Not many had a better tournament... Lundell, Stutzle, Peterka and maybe Niemala.... but many had a much poorer tournament, such as Byfield, Perfetti, Quinn, Holloway, Mercer, Rossi...

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Here is the problem. We need a guy like Schneider's potential today (Maybe a 4). A guy like Amirov, we don't really NEED that today.

So, people want Schneider, because that is what we need, today, even if they might concede Amirov is the better player.

But a guy like Schneider, he isn't cracking the lineup for 3-5 years, and won't be prime for 5-7 years. But, people get caught up in the... we need this now routine. At some point, I hope we draft a bigger, heavy playing guy.. but not at the #15 spot, unless he has much more upside, than this. He's got more upside than a Luke Schenn offensively, but not by a huge margin. There was plenty of talk about Schneider here, in the draft thread though, so he was plenty known.

To further on this point, we may very well need cheap ELC wingers like Amirov to play in the top 6/9 in the next few years based on the high salaries of the core.

I think it's important to recognize that you can never have too much depth in the prospect ranks at one position.

It allows the Leafs to move guys like Kapanen and AJ for futures, restocking the cupboards with picks, and having capable replacements come in on ELC's. Those assets gained could turn into that defensemen that's needed.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Amirov was the right pick at #15, and did quite well compared to his 2020 draft peers. Not many had a better tournament... Lundell, Stutzle, Peterka and maybe Niemala.... but many had a much poorer tournament, such as Byfield, Perfetti, Quinn, Holloway, Mercer, Rossi...

Realistically Amirov could be a Hyman replacement within a year or two, saving us the potentially 4+ million dollar long term commitment to a physical winger in his 30s. Even if Schneider developed 100% faster than expected and became a viable Holl replacement in a year or two, we're saving a mil and still looking for a long-term #1 RHD. Lundell and Askarov are really the only other options that would have been strong bang for your buck during our competitive window as 3C/1G replacements on ELCs, and they were both gone at 15.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Realistically Amirov could be a Hyman replacement within a year or two, saving us the potentially 4+ million dollar long term commitment to a physical winger in his 30s. Even if Schneider developed 100% faster than expected and became a viable Holl replacement in a year or two, we're saving a mil and still looking for a long-term #1 RHD. Lundell and Askarov are really the only other options that would have been strong bang for your buck during our competitive window as 3C/1G replacements on ELCs, and they were both gone at 15.

Hallander could be a decent 3C, and should be in NA next year. My early pet project, 2021 draft want list includes Helenius, who should be an excellent 3C.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

We had schenn. We have Bogosian. Elite pick physical dmen who were far better prospects than Schneider.

And leafs fans still want more schenns and Bogosians.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We had schenn. We have Bogosian. Elite pick physical dmen who were far better prospects than Schneider.

And leafs fans still want more schenns and Bogosians.

I don’t think there is any question, that we could use a legit top 4 top D RD, that can play a physical game. Bogo isn’t that. Dubas has done well given the cap etc, but ideally we’d have another top 4 option, that can help the team, and bring physicality.

Reactions: RoadWarrior

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Based on what? Amirov hasn't played an NHL game yet. People are too quick to spike the ball on draft picks.

Pick will be a winner when hes playing top 6 minutes for the Leafs and producing against NHL players. Until then it's a TBD.

what? Lol I stated I give them benefit of the doubt on drafting as they have been doing well on their picks. Never said anything about him having star potential.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Amirov might be the better long term prospect but the leafs have needed a physical shut down D man on the right side for years now to replace Schenn who was drafted about 20 spots ahead of where he should’ve been.

However Amirov like many other 18 year olds struggled against tougher competition in the semis and bronze medal game. Denying that is silly.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
To further on this point, we may very well need cheap ELC wingers like Amirov to play in the top 6/9 in the next few years based on the high salaries of the core.

I think it's important to recognize that you can never have too much depth in the prospect ranks at one position.

It allows the Leafs to move guys like Kapanen and AJ for futures, restocking the cupboards with picks, and having capable replacements come in on ELC's. Those assets gained could turn into that defensemen that's needed.

Yup. Being able to bring in guys like Robertson and Amirov is huge for the window. It's tough with D because they take so damn long (like usually 5 years or so). If we keep up this trend of seemingly landing guys who should have went higher, I am a happy camper regardless of position. Keeps the window open and gives us capital. Supplement that with shrewd signings to cover any development gaps and we should have a decent window.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
How about being a good Leafs fan and support our draft picks? I don't understand how it benefits the team to cry that we didnt draft this guy or that guy. why does that matter anymore. We took Amirov why not cheer for him and hope for the best. no one knows how the future will go and how these kids will end up.
What if it was the other way around? we took your guy that you think they should have taken but he ends up being a bust and Amirov becomes a stud?

Perfect way to show our prospects they were never welcomed here in the first place. I wouldn't wanna play here if I was Amirov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad