Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs Part II

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Thing I really didn't like: that as the medal round when on he seemed to get frustrated and checked out rather than taking charge. Hopefully it was a one off or something he'll learn from and grow out of, but he 100% deserved the even strength/extra man benching (if he wasn't hurt).

Thing that I did like: was that the source of that frustration was a very intelligent, well positioned style of play that was completely out of sync with a scrambly Russian team and a d-corp that struggled to move the puck. I think that if he was "Rodion Amironen" and played in front of the smooth Finnish D within their tight structure he would have rivalled Lundell for their top forward. It's the classic "better in the NHL than AHL" estimation.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Larionov is as cut throat as you get in da hockey world ... when he benches a guy it tells you all ya need to know
Larionov scratched one of his best players this tournament for 2 games. Larionov never shuffled lines when his team was struggling. His entire roster had absolutely no chemistry on any lines. IF you're using Larionov's coaching decisions as a benchmark for a player's play, you need help. Amirov was absolute trash yesterday and he was mediocre at best vs Canada but he was far from the only player that looked completely lost. Outside of Abramov and Podkolzin, no one on the Russian roster looked like they had any game plan or clue of what they were doing. I would happily take Lundell over Amirov but quite frankly we never had that option. Neither did we have a Newhook to draft who IMO didn't look that amazing.

As for the Schneider comments, Schneider was a solid player but he contributed nothing of great value to the Canadian roster. We did 10x better in Niemela and got him 2 rounds later.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The more you look at Amirov, the more you are happy we picked him over Schnieder.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Can’t final evaluate a player based on a short series like that. He showed skill, scoring, a decent look at his style. Can’t fault him for the loss, it’s a team game. Put up decent points. I wished his shifts were 15-20 seconds longer when appropriate. Larionov kept a long bench and really short shifts. He did fade in heavy games a little, that’s my only criticism I would have. Otherwise, he showed skill and that he belonged in a top line role.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Thing I really didn't like: that as the medal round when on he seemed to get frustrated and checked out rather than taking charge. Hopefully it was a one off or something he'll learn from and grow out of, but he 100% deserved the even strength/extra man benching (if he wasn't hurt).

Thing that I did like: was that the source of that frustration was a very intelligent, well positioned style of play that was completely out of sync with a scrambly Russian team and a d-corp that struggled to move the puck. I think that if he was "Rodion Amironen" and played in front of the smooth Finnish D within their tight structure he would have rivalled Lundell for their top forward. It's the classic "better in the NHL than AHL" estimation.
Excellent post... Agree that it's disappointing that he didn't step up and take charge, but no reason to think he won't mature as he gets older (as we all do). You can't teach his skating ability.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

I have to agree with you on this one. I found him to be very enigmatic at times during the medal rounds. I watched a bunch of shifts where his line seemingly could not get anything done, and he seemed to kinda float around without a purpose or intensity. fast forward to the next shift and he'd dance through the neutral zone, walking 2 opposing players and gain the zone with ease, and carry that into a relentless shift. very jekyll and hyde. I am still a big fan of him, and the pick. But it was not something I particularly liked. especially how on brand this level of consistency is with some of our current leafs. Overall impressions for me were ok to good. But to be fair I had sky high expectations, because I love the player and have high hopes for him

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think expectations are wayyyy to high right now. He was Russias best player but the team as a whole was an absolute mess.

He lead his team in scoring, played well defensively but I agree with the concern of his loss of interest when the team's game completely fell off.

I dont get the ones that were more impressed with Schneider. He was good defensively, but still Canada's 3rd or 4th option on D and played the puck like a grenade. A similar player to Hjarmalsson IMO who will settle in as a reliable #3/4 at the next level but nothing overly impressive. It is easy to look good when your team looks good.

The ones who prefer Lundell? Well obviously. I'd prefer Lafreniere personally if were aiming high.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think expectations are wayyyy to high right now. He was Russias best player but the team as a whole was an absolute mess.

He lead his team in scoring, played well defensively but I agree with the concern of his loss of interest when the team's game completely fell off.

I dont get the ones that were more impressed with Schneider. He was good defensively, but still Canada's 3rd or 4th option on D and played the puck like a grenade. A similar player to Hjarmalsson IMO who will settle in as a reliable #3/4 at the next level but nothing overly impressive. It is easy to look good when your team looks good.

The ones who prefer Lundell? Well obviously. I'd prefer Lafreniere personally if were aiming high.
Yeah I didn't see anything from Schneider or Guhle to make me think Amirov was the wrong choice. Both looked fine without the puck, terrible with it.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Schneider has literally shown absolutely nothing to make me agree with you. Good defensively, but a f***ing mess offensively. Handles the puck like a grenade.
Instead of arguing with you, the only way to get a real answer on who is right or wrong is to wait 10 years and see what happens. Neither of us are going to do that.

But big, strong, defensive defenseman have lots of value too, and not being an offensive defenseman on team Canada seems to mean he's no good. I personally believe he will develop into a very strong defensive defenseman.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Larionov scratched one of his best players this tournament for 2 games. Larionov never shuffled lines when his team was struggling. His entire roster had absolutely no chemistry on any lines. IF you're using Larionov's coaching decisions as a benchmark for a player's play, you need help. Amirov was absolute trash yesterday and he was mediocre at best vs Canada but he was far from the only player that looked completely lost. Outside of Abramov and Podkolzin, no one on the Russian roster looked like they had any game plan or clue of what they were doing. I would happily take Lundell over Amirov but quite frankly we never had that option. Neither did we have a Newhook to draft who IMO didn't look that amazing.

As for the Schneider comments, Schneider was a solid player but he contributed nothing of great value to the Canadian roster. We did 10x better in Niemela and got him 2 rounds later.
I could give a rats *ss about any other player on that Russian team ... I only care about my kids careers and helping turn our Leafs team into something more like I want it ... due to sponsorships and friends I have an unique ability to influence things .. it is taking a lot longer than I thought to get our defense fixed as progress is slow and Rome as they say was not built in a day but it is starting to look better .. sorry you didn't like Lundell or Newhook but thats da push for me after this tourney

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I have to wonder about Amirov's floating being mistaken for him being conscious defensively. A few of the times that I've watched him I find he's not usually on the wrong side of the play and is never really chasing back into his zone

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
As multi generational season ticket holders for over 50 years and multiple company sponsorships controlled in da family we know pretty much everyone who matters ...

I could give a rats *ss about any other player on that Russian team ... I only care about my kids careers and helping turn our Leafs team into something more like I want it ... due to sponsorships and friends I have an unique ability to influence things .. it is taking a lot longer than I thought to get our defense fixed as progress is slow and Rome as they say was not built in a day but it is starting to look better .. sorry you didn't like Lundell or Newhook but thats da push for me after this tourney

Reading and writing aren't your strong suits. I said I'd easily take Lundell and am impartial to Newhook. We didn't have the chance to draft either. And we're in no position to be giving up assets to acquire them (if they were even on the block). Your sponsorships, season tickets, and friends won't be changing that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Reading and writing aren't your strong suits. I said I'd easily take Lundell and am impartial to Newhook. We didn't have the chance to draft either. And we're in no position to be giving up assets to acquire them (if they were even on the block). Your sponsorships, season tickets, and friends won't be changing that.
Yeah i know ... i never cares much about reading writing or for that matter speaking ... i focus on stuff i like hockey and making$$$ ... i used to like accounting but gave it up a few years back it takes too much of my time and does not generate much payback

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Yeah I didn't see anything from Schneider or Guhle to make me think Amirov was the wrong choice. Both looked fine without the puck, terrible with it.

They are great prospects that I'd love in our pool. But to me I just think those are the types of D you can get later in the draft. Picking them mid 1st round is a loss of value. You dont want a safe player when you have a shot at a star. That doesnt mean they need to go for the best Mitch Marner type available, but we also shouldnt be targeting players with limited upside.

Thats how you get Luke Schenn, Freddy Gauthier, Tyler Biggs, etc.

Who are the best big defensive D in the league?

Dumoulin - 2nd round
Parayko - 3rd round
Pesce - 3rd round
Ekholm - 4th round
Manson - 6th round
Tanev - Undrafted

Reactions: Nineteen67

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They are great prospects that I'd love in our pool. But to me I just think those are the types of D you can get later in the draft. Picking them mid 1st round is a loss of value. You dont want a safe player when you have a shot at a star. That doesnt mean they need to go for the best Mitch Marner type available, but we also shouldnt be targeting players with limited upside.

Dumoulin - 2nd round
Parayko - 3rd round
Pesce - 3rd round
Ekholm - 4th round
Manson - 6th round
Tanev - Undrafted

Weegar isn't a big dude, but he plays that style, great defensively... 7th rounder.

But, we aren't really picking those guys either, and we should. But I agree with you otherwise.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Bingo. People look at Dubas' recent drafting (Robertson, Sandin, etc.) and expect an immediate, home-run result.

Amirov led Russia in points with an atrocious performance from the defence who could hardly move the puck. Paralyzed their breakout ability. No forward stood out head-and-shoulders above Rodion. In spite of that, he had one of the best performances of a recent pick outside the top 10, albeit leaving us wanting more knowing his ability. Now compare his role to those selected in and around his draft position:

• Holloway: checking forward, role player, 2pts in 6GP
  • Amirov: 1st line, PK, PP, leading scorer with 6pts in 7GP
  • Zary: checking forward, role player, invisible, 2pts (assists) in 7GP
  • Guhle: inconsistent but key minutes (low IQ stood out), PK, 3pts in 7GP
  • Mercer: checking forward, role player, 6pts in 7GP (impressed me)
  • Schneider: limited role, defensive assignments, 3pts in 6GP with a big gaffe in gold medal game (+ suspension)
  • Mukhamadullin: all-situations, underperformed, 0pts in tournament
  • Chinakhov: underperformed, 2nd line usage with only 1pt in 5GP

Then you have Barron (sheltered and solid, yet unspectacular), as well as Jarventie and Khustnutdinov who both disappointed on a large scale.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Dumoulin - 2nd round
Parayko - 3rd round
Pesce - 3rd round
Ekholm - 4th round
Manson - 6th round
Tanev - Undrafted
Agree again, not to mention undrafted options like Muzzin and mid rounders like Savard. You could also list 1st rounders like Trouba, Nurse, Ristolainen, etc. but they were all selected high for their shiny physical tools, yet all have one thing in common: low IQ and it's held them back.

There's the obvious Seth Jones' of the world, but good luck with finding that outside of a lottery pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad