Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs Part II

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Spittin’ Chiclets podcast had scout Ian Moran on to discuss the 2020 draft and he thinks the Leafs got the steal of the first round with Rodion Amirov, and I think he did name drop a Kucherov. That said, these debates aren’t won on message boards and if all goes well with Amirov (and Schneider) we will still be looking for a Braden Schneider type.

Reactions: torontoblood

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
yup but i wasn't the one trying to use them to justify our selection , also i haven't said a negative word about the selection nor do i see few if any that do

i'm just saying taking one of the D wouldn't have been a reach at our pick , for some reason that triggers people
If you find a hit its never a reach.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
In the past I would’ve said don’t draft for need but with the ultra tight salary cap restricting free agent signings or trades the only way you can fill some gaps in the system is through the draft with players on ELC’s. Good luck trading for top prospects. In this environment it won’t happen.

Hunter to my surprise wasn’t a good scout of talent. It became evident that the reason for his success in London was the US connections he established recruiting guys like Dvorak and Tkachuk etc.

Big guys can easily dominate junior against their underdeveloped peers but against men they lose that size and strength advantage.

Schneider though has a much higher hockey IQ and defensive acumen compared with most other prospects. He has some issues with his agility but his straight line skating is very good and he’s decent in transition.

I think Amirov as long as he keeps getting ice time in the KHL has a chance to develop into a good two way player but as a rule of thumb wingers are easier to find than RHD.

In this instance I would’ve taken the RHD.

Thankfully Dubas perhaps recognizing team needs grabbed right shooting Niemela in the third round. He looks like a solid player.
RHD are rare throughout the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad