Prospect Info: 2020 1st Rd Selection - #15 OA - LW Rodion Amirov (RUS) - 6'0", 177lbs Part II

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He's not soft or a dangler, and he did "make things happen". This is the Amirov thread, in case you're confused.
He was benched by Larinov when it mattered ... he was benched because he floated around doing nothing ... in fact truth was he was costing team as he missed almost everyone of his defensive assignments in that game which mattered

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We need to trade him asap ... he is not a big time player in games that matter he wilted against similar aged guys ... we need guys who rise up and win big time games ... any chance we could use him to get either Newhook or Lundell - 2 guys who could really help us soon

I am baffled that anyone could type this out, think it was a good idea, and then hit the big red post reply button.

There is a range of options between, "This guy is literally Jesus" and "trade his ass NOW" to choose from. I recommend exploring some of them for the full fledged human being experience.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He was benched by Larinov when it mattered ... he was benched because he floated around doing nothing ... in fact truth was he was costing team as he missed almost everyone of his defensive assignments in that game which mattered
Everything you are saying about him is incorrect. Is this like... some inside joke or something? I honestly don't understand how somebody could type these things about Amirov's WJC, and be serious.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am baffled that anyone could type this out, think it was a good idea, and then hit the big red post reply button.

There is a range of options between, "This guy is literally Jesus" and "trade his ass NOW" to choose from. I recommend exploring some of them for the full fledged human being experience.
Larionov is as cut throat as you get in da hockey world ... when he benches a guy it tells you all ya need to know

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Everything you are saying about him is incorrect. Is this like... some inside joke or something? I honestly don't understand how somebody could type these things about Amirov's WJC, and be serious.
It is very simple and obvious to hockey people he FLOATS in big games, does not pick up his man and after getting warned by his coach continues same mistakes and then benched flat out .. here in Leafland we do not need a person of this character ... we need a team guy who helps team win ... individuals NEVER win ... teams win

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Larionov is as cut throat as you get in da hockey world ... when he benches a guy it tells you all ya need to know

Except he wasn't benched, you are making dat up. In tha reality tuh rest of us live in, Amirov was moved to de 2nd line. Is that wut we want te see? No, of curse not, we wan our boi on de 1st line rippin er up. . But he wasn't benched, better believe it fool, or yu'll look like 1.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I mean... who wouldn't trade Amirov for Lundell straight up...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It is very simple and obvious to hockey people he FLOATS in big games, does not pick up his man and after getting warned by his coach continues same mistakes and then benched flat out .. here in Leafland we do not need a person of this character ... we need a team guy who helps team win ... individuals NEVER win ... teams win
didn't he help his team win a men's tournament a few months ago when he was their best forward? He was their best forward again, but there's only so much one guy can do on a team so devoid of talent and with such a useless coach

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Except he wasn't benched, you are making dat up. In tha reality tuh rest of us live in, Amirov was moved to de 2nd line. Is that wut we want te see? No, of curse not, we wan our boi on de 1st line rippin er up. . But he wasn't benched, better believe it fool, or yu'll look like 1.
OK let me make you feel better he missed 9 consecutive shifts after getting demoted to 2nd line ... yes everyone gets a prize fool

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I personally still believe Braden Schneider would have been the better pick. Would much rather have him in the prospect pool right now than Amirov.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
OK let me make you feel better he missed 9 consecutive shifts after getting demoted to 2nd line ... yes everyone gets a prize fool
9 shifts when the other lines were on the ice? Killer coach Larionov had him killing the penalty with less than 4 minutes to go in the game, down by one goal, and you think he doesn't have his coach's trust. Bruh okay even if you can point out 9 consecutive shifts that he wasn't on the ice, he was playing the entire third period of the final game. I'd like to refer to my previous post about "different options between Jesus and bum" and recommend exploring some of those feelings.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Amirov had a slightly disapointing wjc but the russian team as a whole struggled for offense

It was his 1st wjc and he can go back and play next year. Marner had a down wjc as well and we saw how quickly the doubters of him disappeared once he made the NHL.

Obviously amirov doesnt project as a marner type player but he has high end skill, a decent motor, solid size and good skating along with the bonus of having very fair expectations within the fanbase.

Marner, Nylandet and Matty were expected to be saviours from say one and be amazing players with little patience for mistakes. They to various degrees have delivered on that and can continue to improve.

Amirov (and Robertson) will be allowed to grow and have support from the big 4. They will be complimentary pieces rather than main pieces.

Overall Amirov should be much better next year at the WJC and given more opportunity in the KHL his production should increase while he learns to improve his weaknesses

Reactions: LeafGrief

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We need to trade him asap ... he is not a big time player in games that matter he wilted against similar aged guys ... we need guys who rise up and win big time games ... any chance we could use him to get either Newhook or Lundell - 2 guys who could really help us soon

Except both of these guys didn't rise up to help their team win gold...

And using this tournament as a the main sample size to trade him is foolish.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I personally still believe Braden Schneider would have been the better pick. Would much rather have him in the prospect pool right now than Amirov.

Schneider has literally shown absolutely nothing to make me agree with you. Good defensively, but a f***ing mess offensively. Handles the puck like a grenade.

I'm taking Amirov all day over that, despite his pathetic performance in the world juniors.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
9 shifts when the other lines were on the ice? Killer coach Larionov had him killing the penalty with less than 4 minutes to go in the game, down by one goal, and you think he doesn't have his coach's trust. Bruh okay even if you can point out 9 consecutive shifts that he wasn't on the ice, he was playing the entire third period of the final game. I'd like to refer to my previous post about "different options between Jesus and bum" and recommend exploring some of those feelings.
Of course when you are losing and trying to get a goal you put on guys who have skill set to score for you ... common sense ... any good coach would do it ... i hope best for him but when chips are down he can't be trusted to man up and win games ... he is at best a 5th perimeter wheel on a team and we on Leafs already have those types of guys in spades

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Except both of these guys didn't rise up to help their team win gold...

And using this tournament as a the main sample size to trade him is foolish.
They are 2nd/3rd line puck possession centres in NHL who every team needs/wants ... we already have JT and Matty ... i want a Cirelli type

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Schneider has literally shown absolutely nothing to make me agree with you. Good defensively, but a f***ing mess offensively. Handles the puck like a grenade.

I'm taking Amirov all day over that, despite his pathetic performance in the world juniors.

As a general comment a lot of the first round picks in 2020 had their fair share of tough moments in big games. You wouldn’t have thought that Quinton Byfield was a second overall pick tabbed to be the next Kopitar in the gold medal game, the refinement in Askarov’s game all but disappeared, Jack Quinn didn’t help his case in justifying his top 10 selection. Shouldn’t really take too much stock in any WJC performance, good or bad.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
As a general comment a lot of the first round picks in 2020 had their fair share of tough moments in big games. You wouldn’t have thought that Quinton Byfield was a second overall pick tabbed to be the next Kopitar in the gold medal game, the refinement in Askarov’s game all but disappeared, Jack Quinn didn’t help his case in justifying his top 10 selection. Shouldn’t really take too much stock in any WJC performance, good or bad.
Byfield may learn it over time but right now he does not want it bad enough ... but he has size and speed on his side ... he has to learn to be stronger on da puck and control it and da game ... it happens very occasionally that a guy will click in and get it but right now i would not be betting on him

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

I wouldn't have thought Quinton Byfield was a second overall pick in any game I've ever watched him in, and I've seen him in about 10 by now.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Amirov was involved in 6 of Russia's 19 goals this tournament, lead his team in points... that's not bad... like others have suggested... he's generally playing against people drafted a year before him.

Byfield 2nd OA had 7 points, while Canada had 41 goals by comparison. But six of those points were against the Swiss, one against the Germans, and no points in 5 of 7 games.
Quinn 8th OA had 4 points
Perfetti 10th OA had 6 points.
Holloway 14th OA had 2 points in 7 games.
Zary 24th OA had 2 points in 7 games, of Canada's 41 goals.
Brisson 29th OA had 2 points in 7 games.
Colangeo 36th OA had 1 point

Last edited:

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

I what world is 6 points in 7 games and leading his team in scoring a pathetic performance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad