Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part III

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I just figured it was shocking they would break the transfer record even after all these year's under Ashley's tenure.

It was a surprise. Mind, I think he only did it because otherwise Benitez would have walked this time. And that would without doubt have led to relegation this season.

It was well known that Rafa's contract had a clause in it stating that if he left the club he had to pay NUFC a year's salary. But only after the weekend's cup defeat was it widely broadcast that said clause expired last summer. Given Benitez's reputation as a shrewd politician, it's easy to believe he kept this fact up his sleeve to use at whatever he deemed was the optimum moment.

I suspect Ashley thought he'd reap two benefits from Benitez: firstly that the Spaniard was good enough to keep the club in the EPL with a Championship-quality team and a net spend of zero or less; secondly, that Benitez's presence might flush out a buyer dumb enough to pay £300-350 million for the shell of a football club. He's been wrong on the second point, but near enough on the first. Almiron only costs £16 million up front - which leaves NUFC in a profit on transfer dealings for the season.

It bears mentioning, though, that if Rondon suffers an injury the team may well yet be screwed.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Barça’s brought in Todibo, who was expected to arrive in the coming summer. They needed some defensive reinforcement so hopefully he proves to be a good one

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The Acosta move to PSG is a total MLS move. Acosta will probably play a few games this year due to PSG lacking depth then get loaned around Europe the next couple of years. MLS will then bring him back when he's almost 30 and sell him around the league as some great who's played all over Europe and for PSG, have a team pay more for what DC sold him for all while him having no sell on potential and probably not as good as he was when he left.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You're expecting far too much of Sky

I don't know, the way some of these commentators go to ridiculous lengths to pronounce Italian or Spanish names with an exaggerated accent of the country in question... it's not such a stretch to think they could at least attempt not to completely massacre the names of teams from other countries. No one's expecting perfection, but switching around letters is honestly a f***-up. I mean, Hajduk is actually easier to pronounce than Hadjuk.

Reactions: Cassano

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@Cassano lightin' it up today! Love all that PSG jive.

Damn will people stop with Lo Celso?

Having read the La Liga thread before reading this I LOLed.

Their wingers consist of : ADM, Draxler and youngster Diaby.

Next season you can add Coutinho to that list. 221 million. Book it!

Barça’s brought in Todibo, who was expected to arrive in the coming summer. They needed some defensive reinforcement so hopefully he proves to be a good one

I don't know his situation with Toulouse (is he hurt or were they not playing him because he was going to leave on a Bosman?), but he needs to play regularly at his age.

EDIT: Apparently he wasn't even allowed to train with the first team at Toulouse, so the move makes more sense now. Would have liked to see him loaned out, but this is better than him just staying at Toulouse.

If Micky Bat**** signs for Palace, they'll certainly be the poster boys for people who say the most important thing in football is pace.

Seems I'm not the only one who refers to him with this sort of variation.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Barça sign Emerson for 12 million, but he's loaned to Betis until the Summer. He'll have a four year contract. Looks like a bargain at that price based on the highlights I've seen. Between him, De Jong and Todibo it looks like they're looking at the future and doing some good business in the process.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Denis ****ing Suarez and nobody else. That isn't to say much as Spurs, Man City, Pool, United, and Chelsea did nothing else either, but our back line last game was...

Kola - Monreal - Mustafi - Benedict Cumberbatch

Including an unbelievable array of weapons on the bench including Jenkinson, Mavropanos, and that's it. Only two defenders on the bench, well three if you throw in midfielder Xhaka in there at CB. And we buy Denis ****ing Suarez, it's like we got water from Manchester United and decided to think like them and buy only offencive players with that putrid of a defencive line.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Forgot to mention another Barça signing (such a weird window). They signed Merveil Ndockyt (can't make up that name) on loan from Getafe with an option to buy. A B team signing. I'd never heard of him (rather like I'd never heard of Adrien Rabiot until this past Summer). He'd been in Albania (@Ceremony ?) prior to joining Getafe. What's interesting is he looks pretty damn good in this first video from the Albanian Championship:

Then when you watch the video of him in Spain he looks less impressive:

Less time on the ball, faster pace to the game, more organized opponent... Reminds me of Coutinho actually. Mind you I'm not drawing comparisons between the Premiership and the Albanian Superliga, or am I?

Of course the real highlight here is that almost all of the videos of him, including the two I've linked here, are by Sportback Group which as the second clip demonstrates is presumably an agency/record label by the sound of it. Based on the evidence before me I can't decide where their future lies. Anyway, @S E P H , any connection? Mendes and Raoila should start looking over their shoulder. I'd suggest the same for Kanye but fortunately I've never heard any of his music.

Denis ****ing Suarez and nobody else. That isn't to say much as Spurs, Man City, Pool, United, and Chelsea did nothing else either, but our back line last game was...

Kola - Monreal - Mustafi - Benedict Cumberbatch

Including an unbelievable array of weapons on the bench including Jenkinson, Mavropanos, and that's it. Only two defenders on the bench, well three if you throw in midfielder Xhaka in there at CB. And we buy Denis ****ing Suarez, it's like we got water from Manchester United and decided to think like them and buy only offencive players with that putrid of a defencive line.

You got that right. In two weeks when @Edo asks you "Who is that guy? He's amazing!" You'll reply "That's Denis f***ing Suarez yo!"

Care to explain the Cumberbatch bit?

Yeah that Coutinho post :facepalm:

:D I knew you'd like that one. I think if today is any evidence the entire forum should dedicate all of it's posts to anything football that interests you.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So PSG didn't sign that MLS guy. Nor Willian. Nor any winger.
More problematic, Enrique couldn't finish the job for that second midfielder. No Mendes, no Weigl, no Gueye. I'm happy they didn't overpay for Gueye. He's a good player but not worth more than the 35M PSG proposed.
Tuchel is supposedly mad.
That said, he still has Verratti (coming back soon), Rabiot (whom he managed to re-instate), Paredes, Nkunku, Alves and Draxler who have been very good at CM.
Since he usually plays 2 midfielder, I'd say that's pretty decent.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You got that right. In two weeks when @Edo asks you "Who is that guy? He's amazing!" You'll reply "That's Denis ****ing Suarez yo!"

I don't know that it's so much of a swipe at Suarez as the plain fact that we did nothing to improve the points where the team is actually weakest. I mean, considering we were basically just making the rounds of other teams with our hat in our hands asking what they could spare for free, you can't afford to be picky and in that light Suarez is kind of a score, sure. But our defence was in desperate need of reinforcements even before they all got injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad