Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part III

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
At least two (if not three) who are miles better than Acosta.

I guess there's some thought that he plays better with talented players, but I can't believe they feel he's worth much of anything.

I don't blame Acosta taking the PSG move (he'll make a mint compared to what he makes right now), and I do think he's good enough to play for some teams in Europe, but his top level is probably mid table at best, and not a team who thinks they're going to be in for winning the CL.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sort of reminds me of when Chelsea signed Marko Marin. A move that didn't make sense on the surface, but when you need cheap depth at a specific position, you tend to do some interesting things. PSG probably tried for others, but it's hard to find willing sellers in January.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Marko Marin had at least played for the German National team.

I mean, I assume it's a cost thing, but you don't think Chelsea would have been willing to loan Willian? I think there's a number of players they could get for a short loan to solve the problem.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Marko Marin had at least played for the German National team.

I mean, I assume it's a cost thing, but you don't think Chelsea would have been willing to loan Willian? I think there's a number of players they could get for a short loan to solve the problem.
Why would we loan Willian? We only have 4 wingers ourselves and we are desperate to get into the top 4.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Why would we loan Willian? We only have 4 wingers ourselves and we are desperate to get into the top 4.

He has been mediocre, probably is one of the ones Sarri is grumbling about not putting in effort, and won't really get you to that goal? He probably, more than anyone, needs a change of scenery to see if he actually has anything left.

So, fine, if not him, you don't think there's anyone else that they could get better than Acosta?

The only thing I can think of is if the agent involved is making up a whole load of crap, there's some sort of money laundering going on, or for once FFP is actually playing a role.

It's also not like Acosta is an 18 year old prospect with a major bit of upside. He's 24! He turns 25 in a few months! Sure, he can get a bit better, but it's just ridiculous.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
No way is Acosta good enough to play at PSG. There was debate prior to last season if he was worth his salary. One season playing with Rooney, whose contribution was larger than Acosta's to DC United's offense, and now he might go to PSG. I don't buy that. It would be bad transfer business for PSG, if its true.
PSG are notoriously bad in transfer market tbh.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Not really. About 10 years ago BM where making about 2x as much money as the second biggest team (Hamburger SV at the time). Similar now compared to BVB.

That is how it has worked for as long as I can remember. And it makes it so much easier for BM to win in Germany. Even if someone coming from BVB fail in Munchen you have at least weakened your biggest opponent so you still probably win the Bundesliga. But if you are saying you don't see that changing I have no reason to believe you are wrong.

Is it correct though that BVB have said they won't sell to BM? I seem to remember that was reported somewhere?

The second club having changed from HSV to BVB matters quite a bit. Given that BVB only started to be profitable ~8 years ago after 6-8 years of losses and financial turmoil, and that Bayern have been profitable for 25 years, the accumulated wealth gap is larger than 2x. Meanwhile HSV are back in a terrible financial position, Schalke haven't grown as fast as Bayern or BVB, and Stuttgart haven't grown at all.

Sure, if you express it as a ratio, it was twice as much as the second club in 2009 and it's twice as much now. In total terms, this gap has grown from ~€150M to ~€300M. Perhaps the cost of business has doubled as well. Transfers at least probably have.

Transfer tensions between BVB and Bayern have calmed down a lot. BVB didn't make nearly as much of a fuss when Hummels left in 2016 as they did when Götze and Lewandowski left. For the most part Bayern haven't been targeting BVB's players lately.

Reactions: Dabeast

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He has been mediocre, probably is one of the ones Sarri is grumbling about not putting in effort, and won't really get you to that goal? He probably, more than anyone, needs a change of scenery to see if he actually has anything left.

So, fine, if not him, you don't think there's anyone else that they could get better than Acosta?

The only thing I can think of is if the agent involved is making up a whole load of crap, there's some sort of money laundering going on, or for once FFP is actually playing a role.

It's also not like Acosta is an 18 year old prospect with a major bit of upside. He's 24! He turns 25 in a few months! Sure, he can get a bit better, but it's just ridiculous.

The effort issue isn't isolated to him. The shorter list would be the players that don't have an effort issue. Willian gets a lot of crap, but he's always been consistent in who he is here. He'd just be more of the same in a different spot.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to just loan someone, but maybe no one wants to loan to them in January.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Good god man. Did you watch the game?

If not, watch the highlights and tell me that's anything close to resembling a competent defense.

Maybe stop trying to one-up me and actually answer my damn question: Why do you think EDF operates with two pivots even though he's a 4-3-3 truther? Please, tell me your opinion.

Was at the stadium.

Don't get why you keep writing about the two pivots. One is the corpse of N'Zonzi, and the other is Cristante who the best thing he did yesterday was when he had some words with Dzeko. You have a defense that plays more than 30 meters from the net and is the genius of the coach who wants it. You have another former player like Pastore in the field. You complain of having problems on the left: the other genius Monchi has just given away on loan Pellegrini that seems to me an element to be tried but obviously always the genius of the bench does not even see him.

Keep going with EDF and Monchi.

Go see the presser of Ranieri after Genoa-Roma 4-3.

They should take an example.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
PSG are notoriously bad in transfer market tbh.
I can't think of a time where they grossly overpaid for a player. It might have happened once or twice but their transfer business is top notch. They refuse to sell players they don't want to get rid of and buy quality players at reasonable prices. I mean it's not perfect but it's up there with the best.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Numen Perez will join Atleti after the end of the South American tournament. Cutting his loan short. I guess Simeone couldn't keep it in his pants after Perez's performance in the tournament so far.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I can't think of a time where they grossly overpaid for a player. It might have happened once or twice but their transfer business is top notch. They refuse to sell players they don't want to get rid of and buy quality players at reasonable prices. I mean it's not perfect but it's up there with the best.
Yeah, of the big clubs, they do well in the market. They do way better than what Chelsea does.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Emile Smith-Rowe on loan to RB Leipzig, thank the Lord that there is NOT an option to buy. Just a normal loan move for the rest of the season.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
This is apparently done. And Kagawa was loaned to Besiktas.
Nice. Saw a screenshot of a german show saying that he was going to celtic.

In other celtic news maryan shved has been signed from Ukrainian side and loaned back until April. His youtube video makes him look better than arjen robben. I'd expect that level of a player at a minimum now.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Sky Sports still calling us Hadjuk Split after all these years, like they can’t simply look it up online ffs :laugh::rolleyes:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Guess it depends if he's already convinced to move or not. I have a feeling he's already made up his mind.

I think so as well (35 million and a good wage packet is a lot of convincing) but I don't think it's completely done. I think playing him more and offering a contract increase might at least get him to think about it.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Don't get why you keep writing about the two pivots.

How do you not understand why I'm bringing up two pivots? Why do you think he utilizes two pivots? Simple question.

One is the corpse of N'Zonzi

....I can't.

the other is Cristante who the best thing he did yesterday was when he had some words with Dzeko

Cristante has been shoehorned into that position because of De Rossi's injury , and because we weren't planning on being an exclusively 4-2-3-1 team. But we are , and it's beyond obvious why. Two massive reasons.

Also, Dzeko needs to shut the hell up. I'm tired of that guy.

You have a defense that plays more than 30 meters from the net and is the genius of the coach who wants it

Yes, the high-line doesn't suit our roster at all. Unfortunately the alternative is pretty dire as well , because you know, they can't defend in compact areas either. And really, if you plan on having a deep line with Kolarov and Florenzi , then what's the point of them being on the pitch?

It boils down to one thing : they're simply not good enough.

Fazio is not a good player.
Juan Jesus in not a good player.
Kolarov can't run anymore
Marcano has been horrendous in Italy.

What.The.Hell. Are.You.Watching?

None of them should be anywheres near a team with top 4 aspirations.

You have another former player like Pastore in the field.

Pastore has been disappointing without a doubt , but he's hardly featured this season. Not really a a part of the on-field issues this season defensively, when he's not even on the pitch.

You complain of having problems on the left:

Complain?..... it's so damn obvious I genuinely cannot believe someone with working eyes can't see it. You're so fixated on being right about EDF and Monchi that you've continuously just taken
shots at them instead of just addressing the question : Why do we play two defensive midfielders?

the other genius Monchi has just given away on loan Pellegrini that seems to me an element to be tried but obviously always the genius of the bench does not even see him.

Man , do you listen to yourself? You're not addressing anything. You just ostensibly keep claiming intellectual superiority over people in an attempt to have your pre-season prediction have merit.

Truly an illuminating experience chatting with you. Lets end this here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad