Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part III

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Meh, rather dull window considering only January deals. I was expecting a bit more.

• Barça were reportedly still trying to move up the Todibo deal and Toulouse were apparently willing to negotiate.
  • So if I have this right, Barça have agreed a loan deal for Sao Paulo's Gabriel Novaes set to start this Summer, have a year and a half duration and then he'd be loaned to Nastic even though he's meant for the B team. Anyway, @John Pedro ?
  • Being reported out of Holland that PSG are in the pole position to sign De Ligt.
  • Newcastle made a record signing today by signing Almiron. Odd on @Stray Wasp spitting out his ale when he heard Newcastle made a record signing?

Piatek already looking like a bargain.

I'd say that looks like a good buy before yesterday's result. I'm surprised more sides weren't in for him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
And we can now add Bakker to this list as well. He's being snagged by PSG. Bakker was long seen as the clear cut option at LB for Ajax I. Offensively very gifted, defensively he shows grit and perseverance. Though myself and fellow Ajax watchers have been less impressed this season in that he tries way too hard whenever he gets opportunities to show himself. He takes a lot of risks and has a lot of trickery in his game, but rarely uses it effectively. Kind of fell of a cliff this season. Maybe that's why he still wasn't re-signed. Still somewhat of a hit for Ajax. I was looking forward seeing him getting much more of a fair shot when Tagliafico leaves over a year.
I feel like Ajax will be the one taking hits over this whole de Jong debacle. Why would Bakker leave? Young players have very little foresight.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I feel like Ajax will be the one taking hits over this whole de Jong debacle. Why would Bakker leave? Young players have very little foresight.

- Poor season
- UFA to be. Ajax hasn’t shown any urge to re-sign him at all
- Zero opportunity to break through until 2019/2010
- Mino Raiola

Reading up on Ajax forums, most fans aren’t very sad to see him leave. Weird how fast Bakker went from top talent to expendable so quickly.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Thunder has struck Monaco : Hannibal Mejbri, arguably the best 2003 player on the football planet right now, has requested a transfer this window :amazed:

EDIT : All major teams are apparently after him. One team that doesn't stand a chance is PSG, he never accepted to join them in the youth ranks.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
  • Newcastle made a record signing today by signing Almiron. Odd on @Stray Wasp spitting out his ale when he heard Newcastle made a record signing?

I was too busy looking out for the sting in the tail.

And, lo and behold, it transpires that in order to pay for Almiron the club took out an overdraft. Which is an interesting action when its estimated profit on transfers last summer exceeded Almiron's fee.

Meanwhile, one of the string of holding companies Ashley has just happened to set up since he bought NUFC has failed to file its accounts on time. Which is a fascinating coincidence. Not least given Newcastle has never denied a story the Daily Telegraph's respected North East football correspondent Luke Edwards published last autumn that an eight-figure amount of the club's income generated for the 2018/19 campaign disappeared into Ashley's pocket. (Edwards has been variously banned and denounced in the past for publishing stories that got under Ashley's skin).

Ashley ploughed £15 million of his personal fortune into NUFC to help finance their 2016/17 Championship season (following the characteristically avoidable relegation that, lest we forget, was covered in Ashley's fingerprints). However, some sources allege he's charged the club rather spectacular interest rates, and diverted £50 million from the coffers.

So it all looks uncomfortably like Ashley is treating us to his best impression of Daniel Plainview.

Reactions: les Habs

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Thunder has struck Monaco : Hannibal Mejbri, arguably the best 2003 player on the football planet right now, has requested a transfer this window :amazed:

EDIT : All major teams are apparently after him. One team that doesn't stand a chance is PSG, he never accepted to join them in the youth ranks.

With a name like Hannibal, he should probably give Rome a wide berth, too.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Thunder has struck Monaco : Hannibal Mejbri, arguably the best 2003 player on the football planet right now
What is the argument for him being the best 2003 player on the planet? Who is he competing with?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was too busy looking out for the sting in the tail.

And, lo and behold, it transpires that in order to pay for Almiron the club took out an overdraft. Which is an interesting action when its estimated profit on transfers last summer exceeded Almiron's fee.

Meanwhile, one of the string of holding companies Ashley has just happened to set up since he bought NUFC has failed to file its accounts on time. Which is a fascinating coincidence. Not least given Newcastle has never denied a story the Daily Telegraph's respected North East football correspondent Luke Edwards published last autumn that an eight-figure amount of the club's income generated for the 2018/19 campaign disappeared into Ashley's pocket. (Edwards has been variously banned and denounced in the past for publishing stories that got under Ashley's skin).

Ashley ploughed £15 million of his personal fortune into NUFC to help finance their 2016/17 Championship season (following the characteristically avoidable relegation that, lest we forget, was covered in Ashley's fingerprints). However, some sources allege he's charged the club rather spectacular interest rates, and diverted £50 million from the coffers.

So it all looks uncomfortably like Ashley is treating us to his best impression of Daniel Plainview.

I just figured it was shocking they would break the transfer record even after all these year's under Ashley's tenure.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Emile Smith Rowe on loan to Leipzig and Nketiah rumoured to be going on loan to Augsburg.

Bundesliga is becoming the developmental league for the EPL.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Meh, rather dull window considering only January deals. I was expecting a bit more.

• Barça were reportedly still trying to move up the Todibo deal and Toulouse were apparently willing to negotiate.
  • So if I have this right, Barça have agreed a loan deal for Sao Paulo's Gabriel Novaes set to start this Summer, have a year and a half duration and then he'd be loaned to Nastic even though he's meant for the B team. Anyway, @John Pedro ?
  • Being reported out of Holland that PSG are in the pole position to sign De Ligt.

I'd say that looks like a good buy before yesterday's result. I'm surprised more sides weren't in for him.

Novaes had an amazing Copa São Paulo this year as he ended up as the top scorer with 10 goals in nine matches (including a goal in the final as São Paulo won the title in the penalties)... I'm not a fan, though. he was awful for our u20 team last season. He's pretty good on the air and has nice movement off the ball, is a bulldog chasing the ball and is fast for his size, but struggles to make simple passes, can't dribble, his first touch isn't good either. I can't see him staying at Barça past this loan, tbh. I never thought he would be good enough to make São Paulo pro roster let alone Barcelona's. Willian Jose would be a good comp, could be a Las Palmas, Real Sociedad kind guy if he keeps improving.

Last edited:
Reactions: les Habs

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Great. That’s one guy. Now look at all the other guys who couldn’t make the PL and had to go elsewhere. (Sancho is probably the best recent example)
Irrelevant of what Chelsea/City do. I'm speaking strictly of Arsenal. He wouldve gotten plenty of minutes with them.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I am. Also Cristante.

Fazio and Juan Jesus are beyond awful. Marcano is somehow worse.Kolarov's legs are shot and he doesn't have much enthusiam towards defending even on his best days. Florenzi is a utility player on a good team , and Karsdorp has finally just returned and no one would confuse him for a defensive stalwart.

How you could think our defense isn't a serious issue is beyond me. Manolas is the only one worth a damn.

Your coach is awful, and Monchi is the other to blame. What is happening is the result of the mistakes these two have committed. EDF yesterday embarrassing for the management of the players and the management of the match. He played his D, against Chiesa and Muriel, 50 meters from the net. And here we blame the defense as if they were the problem? The truth is that ASR has become a cheesy team with an incapable coach and many overrated players. The sooner he and Monchi leave, the better.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Bayern's financial advantage over other Bundesliga clubs has grown considerably in even the last 10 years. As long as they have that, they can afford to make a ton of mistakes and not lose their long-term superiority over other German clubs. More likely, this is just a down stretch and they will bounce back with a force once they bite the bullet and spend a lot of money to revamp their squad and management group.

Not really. About 10 years ago BM where making about 2x as much money as the second biggest team (Hamburger SV at the time). Similar now compared to BVB.

That is how it has worked for as long as I can remember. And it makes it so much easier for BM to win in Germany. Even if someone coming from BVB fail in Munchen you have at least weakened your biggest opponent so you still probably win the Bundesliga. But if you are saying you don't see that changing I have no reason to believe you are wrong.

Is it correct though that BVB have said they won't sell to BM? I seem to remember that was reported somewhere?

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Your coach is awful, and Monchi is the other to blame. What is happening is the result of the mistakes these two have committed. EDF yesterday embarrassing for the management of the players and the management of the match. He played his D, against Chiesa and Muriel, 50 meters from the net. And here we blame the defense as if they were the problem? The truth is that ASR has become a cheesy team with an incapable coach and many overrated players. The sooner he and Monchi leave, the better.

Lol, spoken like a typical Roma fan.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
PSG buying some MLS midfielder apparently. Nkunku maybe headed to Arsenal on loan.

Should've just kept lo Celso with the season he is having lol.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Damn will people stop with Lo Celso?
He didn't cut it as DM and that's where the need is. Or at winger. Lo Celso isn't either.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And in the end they bought him for 10M and sold him for 25 after very few appearances.
Great he has 4 goals and a nice season for Betis.
Doesn't mean he should start at 10 over Neymar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad