2019 WHL Bantam Draft

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
What I've been told by a scout based in Edmonton, cant say it's 100% true just what I've been told and trust the info.
Don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t want to come here. Young team on the rise with plenty of elite talent on the way. Savoie would be the guy this franchise hasn’t had before.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t want to come here. Young team on the rise with plenty of elite talent on the way. Savoie would be the guy this franchise hasn’t had before.

It's possible this is going to happen. Last year's bantam draft there was a few of the top 10 who said they would have went to Jr.A-NCAA if their hometown or nearby team didn't draft them.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Connor Levis committed to NCAA and he could've but unlikely. Keaton Dowhaniuk (OHA-E) is another that could but don't think any team is passing on Savoie @ #1.

Savoie is as generational as I’ve ever seen at this age. If he doesn’t go 1rst it’s because he refused to play there. It’s a race for #2 right now. And Bedard is good but he’s not near as good as Savoie was at his age.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Overall, the 2004 class in Saskatchewan is rather weak compared to previous years. Only one player - Nolan Flamand - is likely to be drafted in the first round (possibly in the top 10) and he is, by quite a margin, the best forward prospect in the province. Very high hockey IQ and translatable skills should make him a solid pick. Behind him would be players like Dereniwsky (like Flamand playing midget AAA) and Hvidston out of Northeast. No clear leader amongst the defensemen. My personal top 4 dmen (in no particular order) would include McCutcheon and Korchinski from Saskatoon, Andrusiak (NE) and Newman (Regina). Top goaltender: Chadwick (Saskatoon).

For those who might be disappointed in this year's draft class coming out of Saskatchewan I advise patience. The 05 class is, in my opinion, going to be as good or better as the 1996 birth year. My prediction would be to look for 4 or 5 first picks along with a multitude of picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Truly a special year. Sidenote: While not as deep as the 05s, the 06 year looks to be strong also.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Overall, the 2004 class in Saskatchewan is rather weak compared to previous years. Only one player - Nolan Flamand - is likely to be drafted in the first round (possibly in the top 10) and he is, by quite a margin, the best forward prospect in the province. Very high hockey IQ and translatable skills should make him a solid pick. Behind him would be players like Dereniwsky (like Flamand playing midget AAA) and Hvidston out of Northeast. No clear leader amongst the defensemen. My personal top 4 dmen (in no particular order) would include McCutcheon and Korchinski from Saskatoon, Andrusiak (NE) and Newman (Regina). Top goaltender: Chadwick (Saskatoon).

For those who might be disappointed in this year's draft class coming out of Saskatchewan I advise patience. The 05 class is, in my opinion, going to be as good or better as the 1996 birth year. My prediction would be to look for 4 or 5 first picks along with a multitude of picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Truly a special year. Sidenote: While not as deep as the 05s, the 06 year looks to be strong also.
I disagree that Flamand is the best forward or only 1st rounder, Kyren Gronick is better from what I've seen. Lethal shot, non stop motor, high IQ and a really good 2way game. Skating is coming along nicely too which is his only real weakness. Flamand is good but I don't think it was smart for him to play Midget this year tbh.

I agree there's no clear cut dman from the 04's(Bauer Dumanski imo is the best dman but an 05). There's a big group with the 4 you mentioned as well as Grill, Tanchuck, Johnston, Fouquette and Montgrand who while aren't 1st round talents should be very solid dmen going ahead.

The high end talent isn't good this year but I do like the depth of the class

TheNugeIsHuge

Dec 17, 2014
Taber, Alberta
Any word why WEHP is shutting down?

Edit: looks like Tyler took his tweets down. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

He has screwed up a players name more than once lol

Example being at that Saskatchewan camp. Kept praising Riley Tuelon the whole weekend when he had the number wrong and the kid was Rylen Roersma from Lethbridge.

And he still says that kids name with an A instead of an E.

Needs to fix some stuff if he wants to remain credible.

I also dont like him trying to start up a spring team. That could just feed into more bias allegations and would be a bad P.R. move.

Reactions: Big Ben Healy

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Here’s my predictions on first 5 kids taken in in order from each province east to west.

Manitoba’s first 5 picks

Geekie F
Mateychuk D
Bueneventura G
Zimmer F
Anderson F

Sask First 5

Flamand F
Tanchak D
Gronick F
Korchinski D
Chadwick G

AB first 5

Savoie F
Ziemmer F
Dowhaniuk D
Gustafson F
Singleton F

BC first 5

Levis F
Lindgren D
Tien F
Reimer F
Lisowsky F

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
He has screwed up a players name more than once lol

Example being at that Saskatchewan camp. Kept praising Riley Tuelon the whole weekend when he had the number wrong and the kid was Rylen Roersma from Lethbridge.

And he still says that kids name with an A instead of an E.

Needs to fix some stuff if he wants to remain credible.

I also dont like him trying to start up a spring team. That could just feed into more bias allegations and would be a bad P.R. move.
THE WHOLE spring team made him lose credibility with me. Are these the kids that will make his coveted list from now on? Seems very biased towards some teams as well.

Reactions: TheNugeIsHuge

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Here’s my predictions on first 5 kids taken in in order from each province east to west.

Manitoba’s first 5 picks

Geekie F
Mateychuk D
Bueneventura G
Zimmer F
Anderson F

Sask First 5

Flamand F
Tanchak D
Gronick F
Korchinski D
Chadwick G

AB first 5

Savoie F
Ziemmer F
Dowhaniuk D
Gustafson F
Singleton F

BC first 5

Levis F
Lindgren D
Tien F
Reimer F
Lisowsky F

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018

Manitoba’s first 5 picks

Geekie F
Mateychuk D
Bueneventura G
Zimmer F
Anderson F

Sask First 5

Flamand F
Tanchak D
Gronick F
Korchinski D
Chadwick G

AB first 5

Savoie F
Ziemmer F
Dowhaniuk D
Gustafson F
Singleton F

BC first 5

Levis F
Lindgren D
Tien F
Reimer F
Lisowsky F

As far as BC goes, no way Reimer would go higher than Liswosky. Lisowsky can really skate and shoot and play with anyone. Reimer needs work on his skating too much to be on any top 10 list. Boehm, Hayden Smith or even Seipman would go before him. Probably even Henry Smith.

Reactions: howbowdat

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
As far as BC goes, no way Reimer would go higher than Liswosky. Lisowsky can really skate and shoot and play with anyone. Reimer needs work on his skating too much to be on any top 10 list. Boehm, Hayden Smith or even Seipman would go before him. Probably even Henry Smith.

I threw Reimer in there because of things scouts like....mainly size, and compete off the charts. Of all the guys you mentioned, not sure any one of them is over 5"9"

BC has some top players under 6' which is intriguing in itself.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Sask First 5

Flamand F
Tanchak D
Gronick F
Korchinski D
Chadwick G
For Saskatchewan I'm expecting

Kyren Gronick F
Nolan Flamand F
Carter Dereniwsky F
Matthew Henry F
Tyrus Flory F

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
I threw Reimer in there because of things scouts like....mainly size, and compete off the charts. Of all the guys you mentioned, not sure any one of them is over 5"9"

BC has some top players under 6' which is intriguing in itself.

Some great top 150 type players in BC (some even in CSSHL) almost 6 feet or over that are not on his list at all and are in the CSSHL. If size mattered so much they would have those players on the list. I don't think Reimer will go top 10 just because of his size if his team mate Crocker doesn and he is 6 foot 2 and can skate much better. Reimer does have the points if that is all that they look at. And you are right, the ones I mentioned are 5'9.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Size does not deminish fear. I have seen 6'2 kids wait to go into corners and kids 5'6 go in without being afraid. You can not teach a player to be tenacious.

Any team will take skill set and guts over size any day. Look at def players in Bantam under 5'7 watch to see where the other team dumps the puck , on their side or the other side.

You want to see who is a good def player. Its dumping the puck on the opposite side. The other is dump on the wall to the other side. Dump and chase to the stronger player will only happen 1 or 2 times.

Reactions: Daryls Nose

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
I really like Mateychuk and Geekie's game. They could be 1,2 in Manitoba. What have you seen of Spencer Penner seems to be having some success? Also any good rural goalies???
I would predict Penner to be 3rd or 4th rounder and may go higher than a couple on your top 5 MB list. Looked really good in showcase in October, but I haven't seen him since. Penner/Mateychuk are by far the best defensive pair in MB, and possibly Western Canada. I haven't seen any consistent goaltending in rural MB, but Reid Dyck (6'2") and Zack Meadows are doing much better after their respective teams' horrendous starts to the season (PV fired their coach!) Dyck and 2 others are the only returning goalies in the league, but there are a couple of 05's to watch (Renwick and Bjarnason who happen to be from the same minor hockey program in Carberry.)

Last edited:

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Might be a bold prediction but from my viewing experience I wouldn't be surprised if the first round goes something like this;

Forwards - 16
Defence - 5
Goalie - 1

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Which is the most reliable non biased source for scouting info? Draft Geek, WEHP or Scouting News or other, if you had to subscribe to one.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Which is the most reliable non biased source for scouting info? Draft Geek, WEHP or Scouting News or other, if you had to subscribe to one.

WEHP and Draft Geek have some good things to offer. Wehp provides more content and DG provides better less often content. Scouting news is a shit show. I believe wehp gets most of his stuff from parents (which can be valid info) and DG from scouts. Hence the less often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad