2019 WHL Bantam Draft

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Ive compared WEHP and Draftgeek this year...WEHP actually looks more unbiased. As for DG, in the 3rd to 5th rnd range I see players ranked that I didn't think were getting any looks by scouts.

One player I was surprised didn't get selected late was 2003 Owen Barrow (Thompson Blazers). He had decent offense and could play a rough game too. He led his club team to the BC Cup and went unselected. That's where I see bias towards academy hockey and club players don't get their fair shake from scouts.
who are these 3-5th rounders that you thought were not getting looks? Are they from club hockey or CSSHL?

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Where is this? Id like to see. What rankings is he out to lunch on? I find most of these sites are absurd very obviously biased after the top 10. Sadly there are players that will never make these lists that are playing in minor and better than some of the ones playing CSSHL

Draftgeek website and Western Elite Prospects website... there's a link to pay for rankings. Costs 10 dollars.

I watch lots of okanagan hockey and some of the top players get no respect. I don't want to single out players on here lol but they're club hockey members that imo, are better than higher ranked csshl players.

Reactions: McChucky

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Ive compared WEHP and Draftgeek this year...WEHP actually looks more unbiased. As for DG, in the 3rd to 5th rnd range I see players ranked that I didn't think were getting any looks by scouts.

One player I was surprised didn't get selected late was 2003 Owen Barrow (Thompson Blazers). He had decent offense and could play a rough game too. He led his club team to the BC Cup and went unselected. That's where I see bias towards academy hockey and club players don't get their fair shake from scouts.

I'm not denying that does happen... You have to wonder that if CSSHL is a better development package/model; that a scouting staff will prefer a kid attending academy over club. Just knowing the family/kid is willing to invest more towards development. To be clear I'm not trying to start a club vs csshl argument about development but you'll have a hard time convincing me that for the most part it isn't better on a CSSHL team

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
I'm not denying that does happen... You have to wonder that if CSSHL is a better development package/model; that a scouting staff will prefer a kid attending academy over club. Just knowing the family/kid is willing to invest more towards development. To be clear I'm not trying to start a club vs csshl argument about development but you'll have a hard time convincing me that for the most part it isn't better on a CSSHL team

I'm not a fan of the cost of CSSHL but what I like is that it kind of consolidates more top prospects into one league.

For many club prospects it's unrealistic to pay 30,000 to 40,000 each yr for development. I wish there was a year end qualifying tournament where top CSSHL and AAA club teams in western canada would compete for a TITLE.

Reactions: bawkbawk

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
The cost of CSSHL is crazy. It's too bad as it prevents many kids from being able to play in the league IMO. In terms of teams Club vs CSSHL, I think the top club teams can compete with the mid-top CSSHL teams, but I think the CSSHL teams, top teams, are just too strong and will always or almost always come out on top. Bauer tourney, CSSHL teams came out on top. I'm suspecting the same thing will happen at the Rocky Mtn and John Reid. We'll see, maybe I'll be proven wrong. Either way, it's great hockey to watch.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
The cost of CSSHL is crazy. It's too bad as it prevents many kids from being able to play in the league IMO. In terms of teams Club vs CSSHL, I think the top club teams can compete with the mid-top CSSHL teams, but I think the CSSHL teams, top teams, are just too strong and will always or almost always come out on top. Bauer tourney, CSSHL teams came out on top. I'm suspecting the same thing will happen at the Rocky Mtn and John Reid. We'll see, maybe I'll be proven wrong. Either way, it's great hockey to watch.

Yes i agree about top club teams not being strong enough for top CSSHL teams. BC North Central Zone is considered a stacked club team but I think they'd lose to Yale, OHA E... theyd probably beat teams like POE and OHA P.

Is there a list of confirmed teams for John Reid and Rocky Mtn? Haven't found any yet.

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Haven't seen John Reid teams confirmed yet, but Rocky Mtn is:
Castle Pool Kidd PoolLorette PoolRundle Pool
Burnaby Winter ClubOHA EdmontonDelta Hockey Academy Yale Hockey Academy
Calgary FlamesWinnipeg RinkCalgary BisonsNorthern Alberta Xtreme
Notre Dame HoundsSherwood Park FlyersFort Saskatchewan RangersOHA Penticton
Winnipeg MonarchsCalgary RoyalsRed Deer RebelsCalgary Northstars
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Oasiz Weisblatt (Calgary Bisons) is an interesting player to watch in this draft. Fast playmaker who is top 2 round talent imo.

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Haven't seen John Reid teams confirmed yet, but Rocky Mtn is:
Castle Pool Kidd PoolLorette PoolRundle Pool
Burnaby Winter ClubOHA EdmontonDelta Hockey Academy Yale Hockey Academy
Calgary FlamesWinnipeg RinkCalgary BisonsNorthern Alberta Xtreme
Notre Dame HoundsSherwood Park FlyersFort Saskatchewan RangersOHA Penticton
Winnipeg MonarchsCalgary RoyalsRed Deer RebelsCalgary Northstars
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
those happen to be the top CSSHL teams in each division (the ones at the top of each list coincidentally). And I agree the top CSSHL teams are hard to compete with.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Who's the Rocky Mountain favourite this year? I think I'm going to go with

Yale vs Red Deer
Delta
vs Penticton

Burnaby vs Rink
Oha E
vs Monarchs/Flames

Rink vs Red Deer
OHA E vs Delta

OHAE vs Rink

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018

Yale vs Red Deer
Delta
vs Penticton

Burnaby vs Rink
Oha E
vs Monarchs/Flames

Rink vs Red Deer
OHA E vs Delta

OHAE vs Rink

Yale was hyped lots before the season because of the acquisition of Carter Streek...

But i'll go with Rink. Daimon Gardner mvp

Reactions: howbowdat

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Any news on the teams for the John Reid tournament in St Albert in Jan? Do the results of the Rocky Mountain tourney this weekend have any bearing on which teams get accepted into the John Reid?

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Lots of good hockey at the RMC. Looks like CSSHL teams strong again. Yale has found their stride. Rink struggled out of the gate but made Quarters. Lots of ties with Penticton BWC and ND. Should be another good day of hockey.

Updated; Quarters

Notre Dame vs. Rink Academy
BWC Academy vs. OHA Edmonton
Delta Green vs. NAX
Yale Academy vs. Red Deer Rebels

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Lots of good hockey at the RMC. Looks like CSSHL teams strong again. Yale has found their stride. Rink struggled out of the gate but made Quarters. Lots of ties with Penticton BWC and ND. Should be another good day of hockey.

Updated; Quarters

Notre Dame vs. Rink Academy
BWC Academy vs. OHA Edmonton
Delta Green vs. NAX
Yale Academy vs. Red Deer Rebels

How's rinks goaltending? There was some hype over Netherton because of his reflexes but looks like he's struggling

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018

Yale vs Red Deer
Delta
vs Penticton

Burnaby vs Rink
Oha E
vs Monarchs/Flames

Rink vs Red Deer
OHA E vs Delta

OHAE vs Rink
Rink did not fare as well as I thought they would this tournament. Seem to be struggling a bit.

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Also seeing a battle of the scouts on twitterverse. Lists are totally different. I wonder how accurate these are, how many scouts have their input for these lists (like is it a collaboration or one guys opinion) and how many kids that never make the list actually get interest from scouts. Do the scouts even care about these lists? Some kids at the Rocky Mountain showed very well that are virtually unheard of.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Rink certainly has sputtered and stalled. I expected more. Not sure they have a top 10 pick or first rounder for that matter. Where OHAE, BWC, Delta and NAX would have a few or several. As for goaltending, from what I’ve seen Rink has 2 different styles of goalies. I’m no expert but they sure don’t look like their weaknesses. The games I saw they could’ve used some goal support and maybe an extra save each.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Also seeing a battle of the scouts on twitterverse. Lists are totally different. I wonder how accurate these are, how many scouts have their input for these lists (like is it a collaboration or one guys opinion) and how many kids that never make the list actually get interest from scouts. Do the scouts even care about these lists? Some kids at the Rocky Mountain showed very well that are virtually unheard of.

I don’t think the scouts care or rely on these lists. I truly believe he’s using a few parents that are there watching the games. I’m sure they scan the lists to maybe make an ID list when they watch the games. What battles do you speak of?

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
I don’t think the scouts care or rely on these lists. I truly believe he’s using a few parents that are there watching the games. I’m sure they scan the lists to maybe make an ID list when they watch the games. What battles do you speak of?
Yeah Im not sure how that works. Recently I have seen a kid on the list twice (one high and one low) and the omission of a pretty heavy hitter. Just wondering on the accuracy of the list come draft time and is it pretty much based on which parents pay for the list. Also, kids playing club that would be good enough to play CSSHL if their parents could afford it-do they get as many looks playing club? I think there are less scouts at club games.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Yeah Im not sure how that works. Recently I have seen a kid on the list twice (one high and one low) and the omission of a pretty heavy hitter. Just wondering on the accuracy of the list come draft time and is it pretty much based on which parents pay for the list. Also, kids playing club that would be good enough to play CSSHL if their parents could afford it-do they get as many looks playing club? I think there are less scouts at club games.

It looks to be like there are more scouts at CSSHL games but I think that’s because the showcases allow them to see more teams on a weekend. I’m sure there just as many eyes at club games being that there are usually more of them spread out.

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Ive been watching the 2004-2003 group a long time and am curious as to who will get drafted that we don't expect to and who will not (that we do expect) any thoughts on this?

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Ive been watching the 2004-2003 group a long time and am curious as to who will get drafted that we don't expect to and who will not (that we do expect) any thoughts on this?

Not many thoughts, but share the same intrigue. And also have seen this age group quite a bit. It’s hard to share thoughts sometimes regarding overrated when you have to point out names.

Last edited:

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018

I watch club hockey in the Okanagan and there's more scouts at tournaments (for club hockey).

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Not many thoughts, but share the same intrigue. And also have seen this age group quite a bit. It’s hard to share thoughts sometimes regarding overrated when you have to point out names.
I agree its hard to talk about and not name names when talking about over rated. ON the flip side- I have watched a 2003 last year that never got a mention and I thought he was fantastic. Never made a list ever and never got drafted but I thought he was pretty noticeable on the ice. He tried out for minor midget this year and made it, was affiliated to major midget and was so good he now is the youngest one rostered on the major midget team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad