2019 WHL Bantam Draft

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Have perused the 17/18 draft threads and have had some good reading regarding the lives of 14/15 year olds. With the season approaching I figured I would start this upcoming draft thread. Look forward to the conversation!

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Could this be the Matthew Savoie draft? Or is it 2020 when he can possibly apply for exceptional status. I’m not quite clear on the deadline for that.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Could use some clarification on this, but I believe he would get drafted this year, and apply to play a full season the same year as an exception to the max 7-10 games most other picks would be eligible for.

I have seen him play with same age and older, and he has me convinced he is generational.

Reactions: bukwas

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He will be in next WHL draft in May 2019 and then can possibly play that season after his draft if he gets granted exceptional status.

Basically 2019 draft and then play 2019/20 season at age of 15.

However, there is talk of him maybe going NCAA so we will see if he even applies. His older brother just committed to Denver University too

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
I almost want the Cougars to tank one more and get someone as good as a guy like Krebs and just be loaded for 2020. Who are some of the propsects available and how good can they be?

Reactions: howbowdat

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
He will be in next WHL draft in May 2019 and then can possibly play that season after his draft if he gets granted exceptional status.

Basically 2019 draft and then play 2019/20 season at age of 15.

However, there is talk of him maybe going NCAA so we will see if he even applies. His older brother just committed to Denver University too

It will be interesting to follow. He’s a clear cut first overall pick. Seems like more a jr player then college. But all depends what makes sense to them

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I almost want the Cougars to tank one more and get someone as good as a guy like Krebs and just be loaded for 2020. Who are some of the propsects available and how good can they be?
Hard to say what Lamb has planned. Hopefully he opts to gear up for a run in 2 or 3 years.

Bailey

Aug 14, 2018
BWC bantam prep roster posted. They look like they have a very strong team. Rink just posted their roster as well. I think Yale is going to be the team to beat though... several strong talented players.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
BWC bantam prep roster posted. They look like they have a very strong team. Rink just posted their roster as well. I think Yale is going to be the team to beat though... several strong talented players.

Pretty late for the rest of the rosters... are there names to be watching for? Other then Savoie lol

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
I follow MB rural hockey and based on last weekend's preseason tournament, this isn't a strong year for 04's with a few better kids going to CSSHL. Geekie was the only one that stood out and he still needs to work a bit on his speed, but I didn't see Mateychuk who is easily missed in a very deep Eastman team.

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Thoughts on the first couple games of CSSHL Bantam Prep? Yale looks to have had a slow start. Sleeping Giant based on the talent on the team?

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Thoughts on the first couple games of CSSHL Bantam Prep? Yale looks to have had a slow start. Sleeping Giant based on the talent on the team?

slow start or over rated? I think there will be a lot of parity in this league and it's really anyones to win. judging from some of the rosters, one teams weaknesses is another's strength. I really like OHA E roster but even they may have depth issues or kids we've never heard of that are legit.

Reactions: bawkbawk

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Yale has a lot of very talented players, but of course that doesn't always mean the team will gel. I think you are right about the parity in the league this year. There won't be too many, if any, easy games for anyone. It's interesting and nice to see the bulk of the top end kids all together in one league as there is a lot of talented kids that may not have really been seen or noticed yet. It looks like BC has approved the Zone Bantam for next season which may affect the amount of top end kids going to academies in the Lower Mainland, but that's a convo for next year. I think this may be the best year for the amount of talent in CSSHL Bantam Prep. The Bauer Invitational will be very good to watch next weekend with most of the top CSSHL teams along with the top zone teams.

Reactions: howbowdat

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Yale has a lot of very talented players, but of course that doesn't always mean the team will gel. I think you are right about the parity in the league this year. There won't be too many, if any, easy games for anyone. It's interesting and nice to see the bulk of the top end kids all together in one league as there is a lot of talented kids that may not have really been seen or noticed yet. It looks like BC has approved the Zone Bantam for next season which may affect the amount of top end kids going to academies in the Lower Mainland, but that's a convo for next year. I think this may be the best year for the amount of talent in CSSHL Bantam Prep. The Bauer Invitational will be very good to watch next weekend with most of the top CSSHL teams along with the top zone teams.

Wrong, the top bantam zone team is not playing at the Bauer Invitational. North Central Zone Cougars are easily the best zone team.

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Wrong, the top bantam zone team is not playing at the Bauer Invitational. North Central Zone Cougars are easily the best zone team.
Sorry Big Ben, my bad. Not familiar with the strength of each zone team yet so I shouldn’t have made that statement. Same on the Alberta teams participating. Good to know and i’ll keep my eye out to catch some of their games if I get a chance. What tournaments will the North Central Zone Cougars participate in this season?

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
They're in
Sorry Big Ben, my bad. Not familiar with the strength of each zone team yet so I shouldn’t have made that statement. Same on the Alberta teams participating. Good to know and i’ll keep my eye out to catch some of their games if I get a chance. What tournaments will the North Central Zone Cougars participate in this season?

To name a couple....

They're in chilliwack this weekend for the international Bantam AAA tourney. There's KIBIHT in January.

North Central won the Bauer ice Breaker but it was vs varsity teams and average AAA programs. Not sure whos call it was on that one to put Prince George vs weaker competition, Central Zone (Kelowna) and Thompson (Kamloops) are weaker because of their CSSHL transfers.

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Any thoughts on the Shawnigan team this year?
Haven't seen them play and their game vs. BWC wasn't broadcast. BWC handled them fairly easily by the looks of the score. Tough to tell how the team will be until they get a few more games in. They have some out of country players, Beijing x 2, Hong Kong, Norway, Korea. Anyone seen any of them play? How do they stack up in the 04 group talent wise? I think Shawnigan may struggle to be a top team this year, but once they have enough time to come together as a team, they may surprise.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Interesting, I didn't think this draft was stacked but certainly not weak.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to my WHL contacts, this is the weakest draft class in 10 years plus! Up to you prospects to prove them all wrong.</p>&mdash; WesternEliteHockeyPr (@WEHPscout) <a href="">October 1, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Haven't seen them play and their game vs. BWC wasn't broadcast. BWC handled them fairly easily by the looks of the score. Tough to tell how the team will be until they get a few more games in. They have some out of country players, Beijing x 2, Hong Kong, Norway, Korea. Anyone seen any of them play? How do they stack up in the 04 group talent wise? I think Shawnigan may struggle to be a top team this year, but once they have enough time to come together as a team, they may surprise.

Got to watch several games on hockeytv and made a point of trying to watch West Van Burnaby and DG. DG seemed to impress me the most. WV and BWC; jury is still out for me. Would like to see them play stronger teams

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Interesting, I didn't think this draft was stacked but certainly not weak.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to my WHL contacts, this is the weakest draft class in 10 years plus! Up to you prospects to prove them all wrong.</p>&mdash; WesternEliteHockeyPr (@WEHPscout) <a href="">October 1, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With potentially the first WHL player to be exceptional status?!?! I think that's more a reach for subscriptions.

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
The 03 group was pretty special I think. Their top 10 were pretty talented. The 04's, Savoie is so far ahead of the pack. Looks like the 04's have a lot to prove.

Labrador

Aug 4, 2017
Got to watch several games on hockeytv and made a point of trying to watch West Van Burnaby and DG. DG seemed to impress me the most. WV and BWC; jury is still out for me. Would like to see them play stronger teams

The Bauer this weekend will tell a lot. It's too bad West Van isn't in it as they have played weaker teams, except the Burnaby game was a bit of a surprise, maybe West Van are for real?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad