2019 WHL Bantam Draft

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
This tournament was a lot closer than the previous tourneys. Lots of close games. Likely OHAE vs Delta Final. Flip a coin.....its close between them.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
Very John Reid/CSSHL heavy after I thought he did a good job on his first list. That being said....its impossible to properly rank kids at this age.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
Very John Reid/CSSHL heavy after I thought he did a good job on his first list. That being said....its impossible to properly rank kids at this age.

I think it is Edmonton heavy. Also some of the notes are fairly generic, with some being just off if you watch the player.

Reactions: bawkbawk

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
its impossible to properly rank kids at this age.

I'm not a big fan of publishing these rankings for 14 year olds, but I know a couple scouts and ranking seems to be the most common (and possibly the best) way to prepare for a draft. They have their own ranked lists at each position and go to the draft knowing what they need. They'll pick from the top of their lists that haven't already been chosen and rarely stray from their list.

Having said that, it is easy to pick a player who is performing well at the present. Game sheets are where most of these rankings come from. But a player with the best developmental trajectory cannot be found in the stats. This is especially true with goalies, defencemen, and late-blooming forwards but they come with a much greater risk of wasting a pick.

I attended a WHL presentation last fall and they are starting to downplay the importance of the bantam draft. "It just means you get invited to a training camp" is their new line. They are realizing that they need a broader talent pool than what the draft can provide. (At least that is what I am going to tell my son when he doesn't get picked!)

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
How much do you think size will play a factor this draft? Less than other years or the same? I still think the big boys get more looks than the undersized players. Will any teams draft a player under 5 foot 9? I do think the bigger players will go faster than the smaller ones especially in the mid rounds.

howbowdat

Aug 8, 2018
How much do you think size will play a factor this draft? Less than other years or the same? I still think the big boys get more looks than the undersized players. Will any teams draft a player under 5 foot 9? I do think the bigger players will go faster than the smaller ones especially in the mid rounds.

I would imagine it would have to be less. There are some skilled average sized players and very skilled average sized goalies. Maybe if all things being equal they take size but I'm sure they account for 15 and not done growing vs 16 and maybe closer to being done growing in other drafts across the country

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
I would imagine it would have to be less. There are some skilled average sized players and very skilled average sized goalies. Maybe if all things being equal they take size but I'm sure they account for 15 and not done growing vs 16 and maybe closer to being done growing in other drafts across the country

Very true about the growing. 14 is not the size you will be at 20, however, a kid that is 5 foot 4 at age 14 will probably not be tall. As far as size, I do feel the emphasis is on speed now over size but then I look at some of the NHL teams that are doing the best this season and they are the teams with bigger rosters(Winnipeg, Capitals, Vegas etc). Will be interesting how the bantam draft goes. I cant wait to see if there will be any surprises.

Reactions: howbowdat

Derek Johnson

Feb 19, 2019
What do you guys think about the PCAHA league in lower mainland? Lots of good players at the flight 1. Should be a few kids drafted from there this year in the 2019 WHL draft? There are a few really strong US kids in that league as well. Just your thoughts.

Last edited:

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Last year's batch of drafted 14-15 year old goalies averaged just over 6'0". I know one team's prospect questionnaire includes the height of both parents. I'm thinking of hiring a basketball player to drop my son off at prospect camp.
Having said that, I heard one WHL scout freak out when Penguins won the cup with small players a few years ago. Every player he had just drafted was 6'2" or bigger.
Last year the Ice drafted Hughie Hooker who was a 5'4" defenseman!

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Then there is The Jets and The Knights, Islanders, Capitals. Big teams and doing well.

Last edited:

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
What do you guys think about the PCAHA league in lower mainland? Lots of good players at the flight 1. Should be a few kids drafted from there this year in the 2019 WHL draft? There are a few really stron US kids in that league as well. Just your thoughts.
There is definitely some talent there from what I have seen but I do fear that the PCAHA doesn't get the scouting numbers that the CSSHL teams get. Also the level of Tier 1 play vs academy is lower as I have watched both. Which kids do you think scouts are eyeing in the PCAHA? I think the majority of kids that will get drafted will be from the CSSHL.

WestCoastHockeyDad

Apr 3, 2018
There is definitely some talent there from what I have seen but I do fear that the PCAHA doesn't get the scouting numbers that the CSSHL teams get. Also the level of Tier 1 play vs academy is lower as I have watched both. Which kids do you think scouts are eyeing in the PCAHA? I think the majority of kids that will get drafted will be from the CSSHL.

North Vancouver will likely have the most kids - Babcock, Eisner, Kim; Richmond - Hikida, Taylor; Vancouver - Nicholson
Association Rep hockey will be Tier 3 going forward with CSSHL being Tier 1 and Zones being Tier 2

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
Last year the Ice drafted Hughie Hooker who was a 5'4" defenseman!
By the way, he is now listed 5'6" and just received defenseman of month with 1G 11A in 9GP. Not bad for a first year AAA midget (no pun intended.) There's still hope for the little guys, I guess.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
North Vancouver will likely have the most kids - Babcock, Eisner, Kim; Richmond - Hikida, Taylor; Vancouver - Nicholson
Association Rep hockey will be Tier 3 going forward with CSSHL being Tier 1 and Zones being Tier 2

Zone will still technically be tier 1 according to one piece I've read (tier1b the way I see it) as far as rules go. Zone still can enter AAA tournaments, big tournaments have separate elite & AAA divisions).

The North Central zone should be tier 1 caliber assuming they retain their top 05s. If North Central's 05s dont goto prep I can see them going 20-0-0 in league play.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Dman Mats Lindgren from BWC has verbally committed to Michigan University. Will definately affect his draft rankings now. Was considered to be a VERY high pick this upcoming draft

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
This is not a elite draft year for the WHL, especially for Defensive players. The 1st problem is too any leagues and watered down teams with a few good players who get lots of ice time and lots of points, its hard to see how they are under talented pressure, but when you have the u15 or U16 camps next year you will see where they really stack up.
Scouts will look at PCAHA this year alot more than last year, its just not as deep with the CSSHL teams, If you can get in a Spring Tournament( Not a Canlan A or AA) before the draft and you play against CSSHL players and do well your exposure will increase. If you look at last year 2018, 3 players from the PCAHA were drafted 2 from Seafair & 1 from South Delta.
The WHL does not mean a whole lot, One player from BC made the CWG 2019 BC Team and was not drafted in the WHL. He was selected over many players drafted in the 3rd,4th and 5th rounds. 284 Players were drafted ahead of him , but he did make it to the BC Team. Yes, going to John Reid Tournament in January helps alot. PCAHA will have a few players selected, Also the USA Players are not as strong as last years group. Look for a few teams to take a chance on local talent in the same cities.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Can’t see him going to college. When’s the last time a high end Canadian prospect played in college? Jonathan Toews?

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Can’t see him going to college. When’s the last time a high end Canadian prospect played in college? Jonathan Toews?

Dante Fabro/ Tyson Jost / Dennis Cholowski And these are just the 98's It happens. But not alot.

lfunk

Apr 9, 2018
This is not a elite draft year for the WHL...Scouts will look at PCAHA this year alot more than last year, its just not as deep with the CSSHL teams,

Same goes for Manitoba. After Zimmer, the next top 4 or 5 MB born players are playing on rural teams, not CSSHL.

Reactions: Capitals03

Derek Johnson

Feb 19, 2019
There are a couple kids from the Everett team that are really good The big kid #6 Brendan Johnson and #23 Tanner Kloczko.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad