2019 VGK Training Camp (Roster Announced)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
So Hague it is. I'm not unpleased with this, though I would have also been good with Coghlan.

In re: to Duke, why did they waste ice time on him so many games before pulling the trigger?
We still leaves have an open 6/7D spot for Schuldt/Bischoff/Holden with Hague getting a spot.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So Hague it is. I'm not unpleased with this, though I would have also been good with Coghlan.

In re: to Duke, why did they waste ice time on him so many games before pulling the trigger?

I think I would rather Hague work on his skating to begin the season and Coghlan because we are assured to have an entire top four and six of seven defensemen as LD. The only RD is Engelland.

I understand Schmidt and Theodore play on the right also but they are better on their left side.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think I would rather Hague work on his skating to begin the season and Coghlan because we are assured to have an entire top four and six of seven defensemen as LD. The only RD is Engelland.

I understand Schmidt and Theodore play on the right also but they are better on their left side.

That's not how it works

You train in the beginning of summer to get faster (which he did)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That's not how it works

You train in the beginning of summer to get faster (which he did)

He can still work on it in season in the AHL, where his development matters more than wins and the level would be less oppressive.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He can still work on it in season in the AHL, where his development matters more than wins and the level would be less oppressive.

The boy is ready to face the trials.

We both know they won't waive Holden for whatever inexplicable reason.....

Don't lose hope!

Bischoff and Hague. They are ready to spread their wings. Throw them from the nest! (or however birds work)

Nosek centering Carrier and Reaves, however...ehhhhh. I like Nosek OK but Belly was so much better.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Don't lose hope!

Bischoff and Hague. They are ready to spread their wings. Throw them from the nest! (or however birds work)

Nosek centering Carrier and Reaves, however...ehhhhh. I like Nosek OK but Belly was so much better.

I was so high on Bischoff filling in for Schmidt last early season, and disappointed that they rather chose to go what they had and start the season behind the eight ball.

However, he just doesn't seem as crisp and motivated this preseason as he did last.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Don't lose hope!

Good Star Wars reference!

I am not understanding how Hague and Bischoff or Schuldt could be ready and playing them could be the better option for the team and Glass, even Roy, get sent to the AHL as if they would not be better for the team.

There's as many open positions at forward as there are defense.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Good Star Wars reference!

I am not understanding how Hague and Bischoff or Schuldt could be ready and playing them could be the better option for the team and Glass, even Roy, get sent to the AHL as if they would not be better for the team.

There's as many open positions at forward as there are defense.
Not really. If Gallant wanted to he could just roll with

81-71-19
67-26-61
73-21-89
28-92-75

88-3
27-15
5-22

Gallant could go full old boys club and not give a single spot to a Wolves player.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

81-71-19
67-26-61
73-21-89
28-92-75

88-3
27-15
5-22

Gallant could go full old boys club and not give a single spot to a Wolves player.

He would still need to fill an extra forward and extra defense.

But I think there are one or two players at forward or defense who could get in the lineup. If they are going to have Hague and Bischoff then they could easily put Glass and/or Roy in the lineup.

Are we being too finicky about putting Pirri or Zykov on waivers? Waive or trade Holden with retention and you don't have to. They could put Hague, Bischoff and Glass in the lineup without losing anyone (other than possibly Holden.)

I mentioned in another post that the loyalty shown by Gallant and reliance on known, veteran options can be detrimental to the team at times. Sports are ruthless and often coaches need to be in order to maintain success.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas

81-71-19
67-26-61
73-21-89
28-92-75

88-3
27-15
5-22

And this is exactly what I think will happen. Gallant seems to be very weary of change. Which scares me a bit because we’d be icing the exact team that couldn’t get out of the first round last year.
*edit- the exact team but a bit worse without Belly

It also makes the “prove yourself” rookie camps and preseason a bit moot because it seems the lines have already been set in Gallants mind since July 1st.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
And this is exactly what I think will happen. Gallant seems to be very weary of change. Which scares me a bit because we’d be icing the exact team that couldn’t get out of the first round last year.
*edit- the exact team but a bit worse without Belly

It also makes the “prove yourself” rookie camps and preseason a bit moot because it seems the lines have already been set in Gallants mind since July 1st.
Wary. He can't be weary of it because he won't do it. :naughty:

Reactions: Knightmare

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He would still need to fill an extra forward and extra defense.

But I think there are one or two players at forward or defense who could get in the lineup. If they are going to have Hague and Bischoff then they could easily put Glass and/or Roy in the lineup.

Are we being too finicky about putting Pirri or Zykov on waivers? Waive or trade Holden with retention and you don't have to. They could put Hague, Bischoff and Glass in the lineup without losing anyone (other than possibly Holden.)

I mentioned in another post that the loyalty shown by Gallant and reliance on known, veteran options can be detrimental to the team at times. Sports are ruthless and often coaches need to be in order to maintain success.

Glass had another look, and I'm happy about that. But I'd be lying if I said I thought he was stronger than a wet noodle right now, or that another 20-40 AHL games won't help his overall game. There's no need to rush him if everyone is healthy.

I like how Zykov has played, he's definitely won me over. Pirri shouldn't be waived because of one sloppy preseason game.

I would definitely waive Holden though, and put Roy at 4C and have Pirri and Nosek as extra forwards.
81 71 61
67 26 19
7 21 89
28 10 75

3 27
14 88
45 5

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Glass had another look, and I'm happy about that. But I'd be lying if I said I thought he was stronger than a wet noodle right now, or that another 20-40 AHL games won't help his overall game. There's no need to rush him if everyone is healthy.

I like how Zykov has played, he's definitely won me over. Pirri shouldn't be waived because of one sloppy preseason game.

I would definitely waive Holden though, and put Roy at 4C and have Pirri and Nosek as extra forwards.
81 71 61
67 26 19
7 21 89
28 10 75

3 27
14 88
45 5

re: Pirri, it's not one sloppy pre-season game. He has gaping holes in his game, including defense and just about anything else that doesn't involve positioning himself in front of the net for a rebound or a feed from a better icemate. He won us all over, me included, with an insane burst of goals while playing with elite forwards when he was first called up, and has been a middling contributor since.

You would know Zykov worked on his game like a madman this Summer just by watching the quantum leap in his performance. You wouldn't even need to read about his staying in town to work out with trainers and coaches all Summer.

We can ALL agree on waiving Holden. Except those actually making the decisions.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Most coaches do not hang around LV, AIUI. He was working with trainers and strength/conditioning guys, and maybe a skating guy/gal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad