2019 VGK Training Camp (Roster Announced)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Team seems pretty slow in culling the roster so far. Some other teams already making cuts of players heading to AHL.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Team seems pretty slow in culling the roster so far. Some other teams already making cuts of players heading to AHL.

GMs have just sent 4 packing. I suspect that they will hang on to a few more prospects longer this pre-season just because an active search for replacements is underway.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
GMs have just sent 4 packing. I suspect that they will hang on to a few more prospects longer this pre-season just because an active search for replacements is underway.
I think tonight is the last for most anyone who doesn't have a shot of opening on the 23 man roster. There will be big cuts to Chicago and Juniors tomorrow.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think tonight is the last for most anyone who doesn't have a shot of opening on the 23 man roster. There will be big cuts to Chicago and Juniors tomorrow.

AHL camp may open Monday, so cuts after Saturday's game is probably when most of those will be made.

Still, will probably get down to maybe 25-30 or so. (Krebs notwithstanding. Guessing he's around until late October at this point.)

VGK camp day off (Thursday).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If they are it will start to make the winners of the battles more clear.

It doesn't seem to be the end of these roster battles yet. Though Coghlan and Hague have impressed. Schuldt has the offensive game but his defensive skill still needs developing. Whitecloud and Bischoff could be AHL to start the year already.

But, realistically, all five could get some NHL experience to show what they can do this season.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
So that leaves...

Brown, Duke, Glass, Kolesar, McKenzie, Nosek, Pirri, Roy, & Zykov battling for 3LW/4C/13th forward.

Bisch, Coghlan, Hague, Holden, Schuldt, & Whitecloud battling for 1-2 open spots of the blueline.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So that leaves...

Brown, Duke, Glass, Kolesar, McKenzie, Nosek, Pirri, Roy, & Zykov battling for 3LW/4C/13th forward.

Bisch, Coghlan, Hague, Holden, Schuldt, & Whitecloud battling for 1-2 open spots of the blueline.

I think there is no way Nosek, Pirri and Zykov are put through waivers, because I think they would get claimed. At most Roy or Glass start the season in Vegas.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
No surprises so far. I'm just wondering why keep Kolesar around? And I am thinking 14/7/2 for the roster so seems like the three guys who aren't waiver exempt are likely set and one of Glass/Roy/Brown makes it.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I think there is no way Nosek, Pirri and Zykov are put through waivers, because I think they would get claimed. At most Roy or Glass start the season in Vegas.

I doubt they waive Nosek but haven’t Zykov and Pirri been waived before? Sending Glass down to keep these guys in the organization makes the lineup weaker.

Glass is better offensively and defensively than both these guys, even on the Wing and he is only going to get better.

This isn’t year 1 where we had to send Ship down so no one would get claimed. I thing we have the organizational depth now to withstand losing a Zykov or Pirri.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
No surprises so far. I'm just wondering why keep Kolesar around? And I am thinking 14/7/2 for the roster so seems like the three guys who aren't waiver exempt are likely set and one of Glass/Roy/Brown makes it.

Either they put Glass on the third line or Roy is center on the fourth line. I think they are the only two still considered.

If Glass.

Zykov/Nosek/Pirri - Glass - Tuch
Carrier - Eakin - Reaves

Or

Eakin/Glass - Glass/Eakin - Tuch
Carrier - Nosek - Reaves
(Zykov, Pirri)

If Roy.

Zykov/Nosek/Pirri - Eakin - Tuch
Carrier - Roy - Reaves

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I doubt they waive Nosek but haven’t Zykov and Pirri been waived before? Sending Glass down to keep these guys in the organization makes the lineup weaker.

Glass is better offensively and defensively than both these guys, even on the Wing and he is only going to get better.

This isn’t year 1 where we had to send Ship down so no one would get claimed. I thing we have the organizational depth now to withstand losing a Zykov or Pirri.

We sent down Shipachyov and Theodore for the first month of that year. Theodore was definitely NHL ready but they still sent him down.

We have not put either Pirri or Zykov on waivers, even going to some effort to keep Pirri from needing to go on waivers last season.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
We sent down Shipachyov and Theodore for the first month of that year. Theodore was definitely NHL ready but they still sent him down.

We have not put either Pirri or Zykov on waivers, even going to some effort to keep Pirri from needing to go on waivers last season.

I mean that they have been waived before by other teams. I agree that they will probably send Glass down but I don’t think they should.

Pacioretty-Glass-Stone is our future 1st line and the sooner the better.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I mean that they have been waived before by other teams. I agree that they will probably send Glass down but I don’t think they should.

I think it isn't worrying if it is only a month but he should be playing most of the season in the NHL. I think the same with Hague. And probably Coghlan. Schuldt and Whitecloud could still use the AHL and Bischoff is probably a 6 or 7D but he could be very good in that position.

The other possible NHL players (Cotter, Jones, Elvenes, Kolesar, etc.) could benefit from AHL for another season or so.

Holden should probably not get more than a few NHL games with us.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Assuming he gets another game, it's up to Glass. If he puts on a clinic on the PP they'll keep him at 3RW and send down Pirri IMO.

Can we take a moment to appreciate Gallant putting Smith with Patches and Stone with 81 & 71? Wait a sec. 61. 71. 81. Goodness gracious!

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad