2019 VGK Training Camp (Roster Announced)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I am in Thailand right now so I am waking up to everything. There seriously wasn't a game thread?
Well, Patches got a hat trick I guess.

Coghlan kept on looking great. As of right now I'd want him to have the spot next to Merrill and play PP2.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Quick thoughts based on what I saw

Coghlan: This boy is the frontrunner for a rookie blueline spot. He was one of the most noticeable players among the pros and prospects.

Glass: He had a real rough first period execution wise but had the kind of hustle and confidence I wanted to see in the prospects tournament. He got better as the game went along. He started the play that got Patches his third goal and got rewarded with the assist.

Subban: Also got better as the game went along. Ideally at some point he'll learn to focus on the game at the start of the game and not after he's been scored on a few times.

Schuldt: He's got the tools but seems a bit intimidated by the professional game. Might need more time in the AHL. A little annoying considering how long it took to get him signed to a contract.

Patches/Smith: Incredibly involved all around the ice. He looks more than ready to go.

Cotter: Might just fall victim to too much depth but the kid is really close.

Marchy: Kind of shit chemistry with Roy and Zykov. Both were find individually. Could see Roy as the #4 center.

Bischoff: didn't notice him much.

Actually everyone else I didn't really notice much

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Quick thoughts based on what I saw

Coghlan: This boy is the frontrunner for a rookie blueline spot. He was one of the most noticeable players among the pros and prospects.

Glass: He had a real rough first period execution wise but had the kind of hustle and confidence I wanted to see in the prospects tournament. He got better as the game went along. He started the play that got Patches his third goal and got rewarded with the assist.

Subban: Also got better as the game went along. Ideally at some point he'll learn to focus on the game at the start of the game and not after he's been scored on a few times.

Schuldt: He's got the tools but seems a bit intimidated by the professional game. Might need more time in the AHL. A little annoying considering how long it took to get him signed to a contract.

Patches/Smith: Incredibly involved all around the ice. He looks more than ready to go.

Cotter: Might just fall victim to too much depth but the kid is really close.

Marchy: Kind of **** chemistry with Roy and Zykov. Both were find individually. Could see Roy as the #4 center.

Bischoff: didn't notice him much.

Actually everyone else I didn't really notice much

I was at the game and don't remember Nosek playing.

Coghlan looked the best of the defensemen and Glass made some slick passes that weren't converted but was average for a lot of the game. Roy has the jump of someone wanting that 4C spot but his play was only decent. Subban was very good after some soft goals. Cotter definitely could be a depth forward but may have to wait and continue to improve this season. Schuldt needs AHL.

Pacioretty was good, Smith, Eakin and Marchessault played alright.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Nice effort all around. Early days but does feel like Coghlan is in the lead to get a spot. Cotter isn't quite there yet, Roy is a serviceable 4C. Hit by Kolesar looked pretty vicious, not sure if the team needed that in a preseason game. All in all a nice effort, Patches was rolling, Eakin looked quite good to me, Subban wasn't that bad after the 1st goal, the second one he's screened by his D. Really liked the PK tonight, keep the high danger area clear and Subban took care of the rest.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Nice effort all around. Early days but does feel like Coghlan is in the lead to get a spot. Cotter isn't quite there yet, Roy is a serviceable 4C. Hit by Kolesar looked pretty vicious, not sure if the team needed that in a preseason game. All in all a nice effort, Patches was rolling, Eakin looked quite good to me, Subban wasn't that bad after the 1st goal, the second one he's screened by his D. Really liked the PK tonight, keep the high danger area clear and Subban took care of the rest.

The penalty kill was exceptional. This team could be a powerhouse if they figure out the top 4 RD spot. They may need a veteran rental to give the blue line a steadier presence but they have an extra 2nd and 3rd to trade at the deadline.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Glass made a dandy play the first 30 seconds into the game, and he had a couple of other good chances. Other than that, he was fairly quiet

Zykov had a bee in his bonnet, so at least he's doing all the little things. He skated with Marchessault all summer, so you'd think they would have had better chemistry.

I like that Patches looks angry and determined out of the gate.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hit by Kolesar looked pretty vicious, not sure if the team needed that in a preseason game.

Vicious definition: deliberately cruel or violent.

Violent, I'll agree. Deliberately cruel? No. Kolesar had committed to the hit before the player he hit got himself into a more vulnerable position.

I do think the 5 minute charging penalty was warranted. Haven't heard if league supplemental discipline might happen.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Glass made a dandy play the first 30 seconds into the game, and he had a couple of other good chances. Other than that, he was fairly quiet

Zykov had a bee in his bonnet, so at least he's doing all the little things. He skated with Marchessault all summer, so you'd think they would have had better chemistry.

My thing is he looked to have a great deal of poise compared to last year's preseason. He often had the right idea with what he'd try to do with the puck but he clearly hasn't learned his linemates all that well. And defensively he was very engaged. I remember in the third period he basically undressed a guy in the defensive zone stripping the puck away and countering the puck on his own.

If we're looking at growth, I'd say Cody had a decent showing. If we were to take his lack of impact in a bubble then yeah it's easy to say we'd want to see more out of him.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Vicious definition: deliberately cruel or violent.

Violent, I'll agree. Deliberately cruel? No. Kolesar had committed to the hit before the player he hit got himself into a more vulnerable position.

I do think the 5 minute charging penalty was warranted. Haven't heard if league supplemental discipline might happen.

If the tables were turned, I would want to see a suspension of the Coyote that laid the headshot. Because of that, I won't be disappointed if Kolesar gets some time off. He's a great physical asset, but he needs to learn how to control it and make cleaner hits. He had time to avoid leading his shoulder into the head.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

My comment to my wife when we came home from the game and watched it back on TV: "Who pissed off Patches?" We saw it in his play at T-Mobile, but his eyes....man....if he keeps up this intensity, he's going to lead his team to an exceptional season.

zona fans are complaining that VGK brought too much physical intensity for the first pre-season game....I am inspired by their intensity, and Max's postgame interview added gravity to that inspiration: They are taking every shift, practice, scrimmage, pre-season game, like this season has meaning for them. If you want to win hockey, you leave it all out there on the ice every game, every shift, and there is no better time to start than Pre-Season Game 1.

ETA I thought Glass showed his great ice vision and passing, but was disappointed at how often he lost board battles. He WAS very active defensively and has clearly grown since last pre-season.

I think Roy could be a serviceable 4C today. Not sure who we have that would make a better 4C by end of season. Nosek?

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I kind of don't want to see Nosek centering the 4th line as it wasn't very effective whenever he replaced Bellemare last year.

This was only a matter of time. Tuch is such a smart player already.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
My comment to my wife when we came home from the game and watched it back on TV: "Who pissed off Patches?" We saw it in his play at T-Mobile, but his eyes....man....if he keeps up this intensity, he's going to lead his team to an exceptional season.

zona fans are complaining that VGK brought too much physical intensity for the first pre-season game....I am inspired by their intensity, and Max's postgame interview added gravity to that inspiration: They are taking every shift, practice, scrimmage, pre-season game, like this season has meaning for them. If you want to win hockey, you leave it all out there on the ice every game, every shift, and there is no better time to start than Pre-Season Game 1.

ETA I thought Glass showed his great ice vision and passing, but was disappointed at how often he lost board battles. He WAS very active defensively and has clearly grown since last pre-season.

I think Roy could be a serviceable 4C today. Not sure who we have that would make a better 4C by end of season. Nosek?

Just watched the Marchy interview. Apparently Lyubitchkin tried to knee Patches and that set him off.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad