Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
It's silly to hear, but I look at it like this: if he were really serious about making a playoff run next season, it would require that he traded every single free-agent with an expiring contract that he has. Financially, even if he ended up with a top two pick, he wouldn't be able to afford to sign enough star power to do it. Otherwise, he's going to have pretty similar team to the one he has now in 29th place.

The other things is, if he's really on his way out, then I'm pretty sure they have him on a short leash.

With an 85M salary cap next season, the Red Wings are projected to have ~18 million in cap space next season. ~1M for their top 2 draft pick, leaving them ~17M. Using that money for a couple nice free agent signings and adding Zadina and someone like Jack Hughes to the roster, I don't see any reason they couldn't compete for the playoffs next season. Not saying they would be great or anything, but they would be in the conversation for the playoffs IMO.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
With an 85M salary cap next season, the Red Wings are projected to have ~18 million in cap space next season. ~1M for their top 2 draft pick, leaving them ~17M. Using that money for a couple nice free agent signings and adding Zadina and someone like Jack Hughes to the roster, I don't see any reason they couldn't compete for the playoffs next season. Not saying they would be great or anything, but they would be in the conversation for the playoffs IMO.

That's news to me about the cap space. I thought their current hit was already about $87, 000,000.

Anyway, most likely, they'll pick about 5th instead of 2nd. Maybe Zadina will need another season in GR, too. Knowing Kenny, he'll re-sign all of the free-agents who he cannot trade for the most insane amounts possible.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Don't forget to add the LTIR summer overages for Franzen and Zetterberg. Their hit is $10.037 mil. 'If' the cap is at $85 mil, the Wings compliance number to get into the season should be $83.4 and change.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
That's news to me about the cap space. I thought their current hit was already about $87, 000,000.

Anyway, most likely, they'll pick about 5th instead of 2nd. Maybe Zadina will need another season in GR, too. Knowing Kenny, he'll re-sign all of the free-agents who he cannot trade for the most insane amounts possible.
It’s in part because you have the following coming off the books: Nyquist (4.75), Vanek (3), Howard (5.29), and Kronwall (4.75). Interesting to see what Holland does this offseason.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't forget to add the LTIR summer overages for Franzen and Zetterberg. Their hit is $10.037 mil. 'If' the cap is at $85 mil, the Wings compliance number to get into the season should be $83.4 and change.

Cap will be ~83M.

And we'll have ~28M in cap space thanks to LTIR.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
It’s in part because you have the following coming off the books: Nyquist (4.75), Vanek (3), Howard (5.29), and Kronwall (4.75). Interesting to see what Holland does this offseason.

Okay. That's what I was alluding to when I said he would have to trade away all of his coming free agents in order to be able to afford to make a playoff run. Yet he's saying that he doesn't want to trade any of his 2019 free-agents.

Two other guys with expiring contracts are Witkowski and Jensen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
alright, here's an idea. NYI is apparently looking for help and are willing to take on deals with term on them. Their 1st could be in play. They apparently need a center, a left D, and a scoring winger. I was wondering if there would be any appetite for dealing Nielsen? Or are we needing another center for another year or two to want to move him and then dip into UFA to replace him?

Reactions: NEWing

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
alright, here's an idea. NYI is apparently looking for help and are willing to take on deals with term on them. Their 1st could be in play. They apparently need a center, a left D, and a scoring winger. I was wondering if there would be any appetite for dealing Nielsen? Or are we needing another center for another year or two to want to move him and then dip into UFA to replace him?
So they let Nielsen walk then will give up a first round pick for him years later?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Holland gave up a first for Quincey, lol.

I'd trade Nielsen for a bag of pucks, but I doubt anyone takes him.

Wow, this board seriously hates Neilsen for no reason.

The guy is good third liner center. He’s the type of player playoff contending teams trade for when in need for experience and depth. It solidifies them.

you under value him. It’s kind of absurd

Reactions: Winger98

pz29

Jun 18, 2015

The guy is good third liner center. He’s the type of player playoff contending teams trade for when in need for experience and depth. It solidifies them.

Agreed. As Mickey said during one of the recent broadcasts, "You can't win the cup with 20 Dylan Larkins and you can't win it with 20 Luke Glendenings." Nielsen is not bad.

Reactions: KJoe88

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
You would win the cup with 20 Larkins.
seriously? The NHL is not a pee-wee house league where everyone's job is to score goals. Get real. Unless, you mean just in terms of quality in their respective positions. In that case, maybe.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So they let Nielsen walk then will give up a first round pick for him years later?

I don't know what they'd give up, and I didn't hazard a guess on it. I just said what they are apparently willing to trade off. When they let Nielsen walk, though, they had a different GM and Tavares still in the lineup. Now, they need a center and Nielsen isn't a bad option. For the reasons he might be appealing to another team needing a center (cost locked in, signed for a few more years, pretty consistent production over his career) is also why I'm not sure the Wings would look at moving him. I'm not sure how thrilled folks are potentially walking into next season with Larkin, AA/Ras, Helm, and Glendening as our center depth.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I'm not sure how thrilled folks are potentially walking into next season with Larkin, AA/Ras, Helm, and Glendening as our center depth.

Depends if you think they need to tank one more year after this one.

2020 for

18_190.png

< >
Alexis Lafrenière

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

He has three years remaining beyond this season at $5.25 million. Not many teams have an appetite for that kind of term for an aging 3C.

Reactions: Oddbob and Winger98

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't know what they'd give up, and I didn't hazard a guess on it. I just said what they are apparently willing to trade off. When they let Nielsen walk, though, they had a different GM and Tavares still in the lineup. Now, they need a center and Nielsen isn't a bad option. For the reasons he might be appealing to another team needing a center (cost locked in, signed for a few more years, pretty consistent production over his career) is also why I'm not sure the Wings would look at moving him. I'm not sure how thrilled folks are potentially walking into next season with Larkin, AA/Ras, Helm, and Glendening as our center depth.
If you can lose that contract you make the move - assuming it isn't cost prohibitive. You can get a UFA as a stop gap. Perhaps you try and bring Val Filppula back on a short term deal. He's 34 so a 1 or 2 year deal until our 1C we draft this year and Veleno are ready to handle full time minutes at the NHL level. This would allow you to lose one or two years on your "over the hill" center spot and also save $1-2 million in cap hit which is an overall win in helping us transition to not being the absolute worst team in the league while being fully capped to the hilt.

Reactions: Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He has three years remaining beyond this season at $5.25 million. Not many teams have an appetite for that kind of term for an aging 3C.
Exactly. Overpaid by almost double what he's worth. The Wings would have to retain salary to get the bag of pucks. 50% retention might bring back a pick. The Wings will suck next year with or without Frans.

Can't win the Cup with 20 Larkins, but I'd give it a go with 18 Larkins and 2 goalies. 6 of them would have to learn how to play D, but I'm impressed with the kid's work ethics. Plus having the league's fastest team would be entertaining AF.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
seriously? The NHL is not a pee-wee house league where everyone's job is to score goals. Get real. Unless, you mean just in terms of quality in their respective positions. In that case, maybe.

Larkin does a lot more than score goals. He's a good two way player and he's physically gifted enough to play any role you asked him two. A team of 20 Dylan Larkins would dominate more than Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad