Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Don't forget to add the LTIR summer overages for Franzen and Zetterberg. Their hit is $10.037 mil. 'If' the cap is at $85 mil, the Wings compliance number to get into the season should be $83.4 and change.

I totally forgot they could go over the cap by 10% in the offseason and then lose a large portion of Z's and Franzen's cap hits by using LTIR. Didn't even take that into account.

So the Red Wings have ~67M under contract for next season (including Z and Franzen's full cap hits). They can go over the projected 83M cap by 10%...or up to ~91M. After they are put on LTIR, the Wings have would have an effective salary cap limit of ~81M (91M-cap hits of Z and Franzen). So, IN CONCLUSION:

*67M in cap hits for 2019-2020, with an adjusted upper limit salary cap of 81M (after Z and Franzen are put on LTIR).
*Subtract the cap hits of Z and Franzen and they actually only have ~57M under contract.

81M - 57M = ~24M of cap space to spend next offseason

In short, the Wings have the cap space to get any player they want in free agency, who wants to come here.

Reactions: Larkin1578

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Okay. That's what I was alluding to when I said he would have to trade away all of his coming free agents in order to be able to afford to make a playoff run. Yet he's saying that he doesn't want to trade any of his 2019 free-agents.

Two other guys with expiring contracts are Witkowski and Jensen.

But he doesn't have to trade anyone, the contracts are expiring after this current season. He would have to *not re-sign them*, but that's different than trading them. Even if they hypothetically re-signed Nyqvist (6M) and Howard (4M), they would still have $10M in cap space to work with (Kronwall and Venek should be gone). I don't WANT them to re-sign those players, i'm just saying they could hypothetically do so and still sign a quality free agent also.

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
But he doesn't have to trade anyone, the contracts are expiring after this current season. He would have to *not re-sign them*, but that's different than trading them. Even if they hypothetically re-signed Nyqvist (6M) and Howard (4M), they would still have $10M in cap space to work with (Kronwall and Venek should be gone). I don't WANT them to re-sign those players, i'm just saying they could hypothetically do so and still sign a quality free agent also.

Okay, he could let them walk, I would think that is the least likely outcome though. I think Kronwall will return for a season, and it might very well be another season in Detroit. I say this because he seems healthier than he has been in years. As for Vanek, I haven't seen his name come up in discussions regarding teams looking for a depth forward. I kinda have my doubts about either of those guys being traded. I feel pretty similar about Howard. I think there's a good chance all three return next season.

Nyquist I think will be traded, maybe to Pittsburgh. Jensen and to a lesser extent Witkowski I also think could be traded because they aren't going to cost a team a first-rounder. The only question is whether a team like Tampa wants to add some depth toughness with a guy like Witkowski, or if they'd rather go all-in for like Simmonds. Maybe a team like the Leafs takes a chance on Jensen instead of the more expensive Kronwall. I also thinking trading Jensen and Witkowski, if it is at all possible, is very important for a team like the Wings which could really use some extra picks to try to draft a goalie. And not only would it give them extra picks to try to draft a goalie, but it would free up a spot for Hronek.

I think Kenny will use whatever is leftover from these potential trades to sign another free-agent, maybe one who he can trade at the 2019/20 deadline, and to re-sign whoever he didn't trade.

I'm not saying this is all how I want it to go, but it's how I think it will go.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I totally forgot they could go over the cap by 10% in the offseason and then lose a large portion of Z's and Franzen's cap hits by using LTIR. Didn't even take that into account.

So the Red Wings have ~67M under contract for next season (including Z and Franzen's full cap hits). They can go over the projected 83M cap by 10%...or up to ~91M. After they are put on LTIR, the Wings have would have an effective salary cap limit of ~81M (91M-cap hits of Z and Franzen). So, IN CONCLUSION:

*67M in cap hits for 2019-2020, with an adjusted upper limit salary cap of 81M (after Z and Franzen are put on LTIR).
*Subtract the cap hits of Z and Franzen and they actually only have ~57M under contract.

81M - 57M = ~24M of cap space to spend next offseason

In short, the Wings have the cap space to get any player they want in free agency, who wants to come here.
I understand trying to figure out how much cap space we have however this is a franchise that has maxed out the cap and tested the upper limits of the LTIR exemption and for what? We shouldn't be trying to be at the cap at this point in time. It should be obvious but my concern is Holland will max it out once again this off-season in yet another desperate attempt to make the playoffs. He needs to stop taking shortcuts and build the franchise the right way.

Get Karlsson this offseason and either trade for or sign Trouba and that gives you a really solid foundation to become a solidly built hockey club in the 2021-22 season.

1C: 2019 top draft pick
2C: Larkin
3C: Veleno

1D: Karlsson
2D: Trouba

Then you see how your other prospects play out. I want a new GM who will be willing to trade some of our recent draft picks who can be leveraged to improve areas of weakness. Holland will not do this. Regardless, we don't need to be exploring the upper limits of the cap and LTIR. We need to focus on signing elite talent. If and when that elite talent doesn't sign we don't need to blow the money on guys who are not going to make any significant difference in rebuilding the franchise.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I understand trying to figure out how much cap space we have however this is a franchise that has maxed out the cap and tested the upper limits of the LTIR exemption and for what? We shouldn't be trying to be at the cap at this point in time. It should be obvious but my concern is Holland will max it out once again this off-season in yet another desperate attempt to make the playoffs. He needs to stop taking shortcuts and build the franchise the right way.

Get Karlsson this offseason and either trade for or sign Trouba and that gives you a really solid foundation to become a solidly built hockey club in the 2021-22 season.

1C: 2019 top draft pick
2C: Larkin
3C: Veleno

1D: Karlsson
2D: Trouba

Then you see how your other prospects play out. I want a new GM who will be willing to trade some of our recent draft picks who can be leveraged to improve areas of weakness. Holland will not do this. Regardless, we don't need to be exploring the upper limits of the cap and LTIR. We need to focus on signing elite talent. If and when that elite talent doesn't sign we don't need to blow the money on guys who are not going to make any significant difference in rebuilding the franchise.

Your obsession with Holland is a bit over the top.

I want this.
I want that.

Holland has done a great job the last three years correcting mistakes and getting the team back in an up swing.

Please, do tell, RTJ - what indication has Holland given you to believe that he’ll try to make desperate moves in the off season to try and make the playoffs next year? He’s openly said he wants a first for Howard. Sounds like he and Kronwall realize a trade is a possibility because the team isn’t not in a competitive state right now. And getting Nyquist re-signed? Good thing if no other GM offers anything significant.

This doesn’t sound like a GM who’s desperate to not rebuild. He’s said that we’re in a rebuild mode, in moves which back that up as of late.

Even if Holland does get Karlsson by some chance that he leaves SJ and signs here, you and others will somehow find a way to reward the next GM by saying it wasn’t Holland who signed Karlsson. And then when EK doesn’t sign here, people will absolutely give him hell.

Larkin? Bertuzzi? Mantha, Cholowski, Hronek, Zadina, Veleno.

It is Holland’s current staff that drafted those players. You among other absolutely **** on him for the Cholowski or Bertuzzi picks. I still remember when Larkin was drafted and people weren’t happy because he hadn’t shown any ‘talent’.

Guess what? Holland saw Larkin’s potential when you... we didn’t.

Has he been perfect? No. But I’m glad we at least had a GM trying to make the playoffs for 25 years instead of ones who constantly **** up 1OA picks. I think you Holland haters need to ease off for a bit. Because he’s done a lot trying to redeem himself by doing a good job rebuilding and getting the next GM ready for a solid foundation.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Holland has done a great job the last three years correcting mistakes and getting the team back in an up swing.

Not sure what your definition of an upswing is, but this time is currently 31st overall in the league. Which is obviously great for those of us who believe getting a top 3 pick is absolutely necessary for this team to have any chance at becoming a contender again. But we aren't in any sense of an 'upswing'. Holland and Wright have definitely accumulated some good pieces that should help this team in the future. But this team is still pretty terrible, and re-signing Howard to a multi-year deal and Nyquist to a 6+ year deal just continues the issues and shows he hasn't learned much.

Holland needs to do everything he can to maximize his trades this year, the last article about Howard and Nyquist seemed to indicate he had no interest in making any trades of consequence during the deadline. I really hope that's just posturing to maximize their value.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Exactly. Overpaid by almost double what he's worth. The Wings would have to retain salary to get the bag of pucks. 50% retention might bring back a pick. The Wings will suck next year with or without Frans.

He's not really overpaid. His closest comparables all have similar cap hits and cap hits as percentage of the cap.

The Wings will likely suck regardless, but a competent middle6 center in place of Helm/Glendening there takes pressure off kids trying to find their game. And to replace Nielsen with a similar player isn't likely to cost any less outside of buying low on a project and getting lucky. For better or worse, we need a center behind larkin because we don't have another guy in house.

I'm not against deal Nielsen, but if he's dealt the Wings are going to be looking to get another vet center from somewhere.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I can see Columbus, if they move Bobrowski, coming in on Howard as a rental. However, I believe their draft situation isn't that great for the next three years. Maybe we can toss in Abdelkader, as he's a Torts kind of guy. I wouldn't move Jensen or Glendening.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Has he been perfect? No. But I’m glad we at least had a GM trying to make the playoffs for 25 years instead of ones who constantly **** up 1OA picks. I think you Holland haters need to ease off for a bit. Because he’s done a lot trying to redeem himself by doing a good job rebuilding and getting the next GM ready for a solid foundation.

Maybe all Holland haters would love Chiarelli as our GM.

Reactions: KJoe88

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Hey guys.

My family are nothing but red wings fans (besides me lol). I watch quite a few Wings games and love Glendenning.

What would it take to get Glendenning to AZ? Thanks in advance!

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Hey guys.

My family are nothing but red wings fans (besides me lol). I watch quite a few Wings games and love Glendenning.

According to many accounts, the DRW's wanted a 2nd rounder from the Leafs for him last year. I think the same this year

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hey guys.

A 2nd rounder, if the Wings are willing to deal him. He's not overpaid, and he's found his game a bit more this year. He has the look and feel of a depth guy that Detroit will keep around awhile unless they seriously overprice themselves.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I can see Athanasiou moving to Philly. They have an excess of young D (Sanheim, Myers), and even Gostisbehere is rumored to be on the block (I saw an article a while ago but I can't find it anymore).

They do have some recent trade history, with Mrazek.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Maybe all Holland haters would love Chiarelli as our GM.
no-no-no-very-bad-man-Babu-Bhatt-seinfeld-gifs-finger-wag.gif

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...Helm is not even close to paid twice his worth!...Abby, DDK and Nielsen are all paid more and are a lot less effective than Helm, and they also have longer contracts.
If you're honest about it, all four are bad contracts, and they're not the only four.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If you're honest about it, all four are bad contracts, and they're not the only four.

I don't really have much issue with Helm's contract, except for the NTC it has, and even that is easy to get around if you wanted to. Far as I know, it is based on ice time and playoffs, so if you wanted to get rid of it, if he refused to waive it, is simply play him less than the top 9 forwards on the team.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Muzzin traded to Toronto

Heck of a Price

Looks like you can cross off the potential of Kronwall to the Leafs

Muzzin was a nice pickup for the Leafs, he'll do well there. He's a much better player than Kronwall at this point and he's signed for one more year.

Some teams prefer guys signed for another year over pure rentals, so it'd be nice to explore the market for Green - assuming he didn't have a NMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia