Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't really have much issue with Helm's contract, except for the NTC it has, and even that is easy to get around if you wanted to. Far as I know, it is based on ice time and playoffs, so if you wanted to get rid of it, if he refused to waive it, is simply play him less than the top 9 forwards on the team.

It can be voided if Wings won't get to the playoffs.

So that NTC kind of won't exist anymore after june 15th.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
5 Bargain Bin Dmen per THN, Jensen listed as best dollar for dollar value.

Five bargain-bin defensemen who could be hot commodities come deadline day - TheHockeyNews

February 2, 2019

Nick Jensen, Detroit Red Wings
This might come down to whether or not Jensen signs an extension before the deadline. He hasn’t received much fanfare this season for his play in Detroit — or any, really — but the 28-year-old has made the most of his opportunity this season with the Red Wings. A second-pairing rearguard through his first two seasons in the NHL, Jensen has stepped into top-pairing minutes this season and has been more successful than most might realize.
In 50 games, he’s scored two goals and 11 points, but it’s his underlying numbers that are more impressive. Despite a heavier slant of defensive zone to offensive zone starts, Jensen has a positive Corsi percentage, 51 percent, a positive expected goals for percentage, 51.3 percent, and has faced some pretty tough competition all year long.
While Gunnarsson might be the best budget addition on name value, the best dollar-for-dollar value might come in acquiring Jensen, who carries an incredibly palatable $812,500 cap hit. Even teams right up against the cap on deadline day will likely be able to sneak Jensen into their salary structure. The only problem might be beating out the other teams interested in his services…should he be available come deadline day, that is.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised if Jensen got the best return at the deadline for the Wings. Solid season, RH, + everyone being able to fit his space means he will be a very sought after piece I think.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Dom Luszczyzyn from his latest 31 Stats column on The Athletic:

10. Mats Zuccarello and Gustav Nyquist are two other right wingers on the market who seem like they should be worth much more but don’t seem to generate the same type of buzz. These are guys who still contribute on the scoresheet at a high level (Zuccarello has been playing at a 50-to-60 point pace for six straight seasons and Nyquist is close to 70 this season) while being responsible players in all three zones. I don’t get it, but I guess that’s why I’m writing this and not actually making decisions. Time will tell.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
5 Bargain Bin Dmen per THN, Jensen listed as best dollar for dollar value.

Five bargain-bin defensemen who could be hot commodities come deadline day - TheHockeyNews

February 2, 2019

Nick Jensen, Detroit Red Wings
This might come down to whether or not Jensen signs an extension before the deadline. He hasn’t received much fanfare this season for his play in Detroit — or any, really — but the 28-year-old has made the most of his opportunity this season with the Red Wings. A second-pairing rearguard through his first two seasons in the NHL, Jensen has stepped into top-pairing minutes this season and has been more successful than most might realize.
In 50 games, he’s scored two goals and 11 points, but it’s his underlying numbers that are more impressive. Despite a heavier slant of defensive zone to offensive zone starts, Jensen has a positive Corsi percentage, 51 percent, a positive expected goals for percentage, 51.3 percent, and has faced some pretty tough competition all year long.
While Gunnarsson might be the best budget addition on name value, the best dollar-for-dollar value might come in acquiring Jensen, who carries an incredibly palatable $812,500 cap hit. Even teams right up against the cap on deadline day will likely be able to sneak Jensen into their salary structure. The only problem might be beating out the other teams interested in his services…should he be available come deadline day, that is.
Remember when Patrick Eaves came out of nowhere to return a 1st round pick at the deadline 2 years ago, largely because he was making only $1 million? I'm not saying Jensen will get the same, but it wouldn't surprise me if the return is larger than expected, mostly because of his contract.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Remember when Patrick Eaves came out of nowhere to return a 1st round pick at the deadline 2 years ago, largely because he was making only $1 million? I'm not saying Jensen will get the same, but it wouldn't surprise me if the return is larger than expected, mostly because of his contract.
It was a conditional 2nd round pick that turned into a 1st because Anaheim made the Western Conference Finals and Eaves played in at least half of their playoff games.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The more I hear the more I think Nyquist and Howard don't go anywhere. My prediction is wings deal Jensen, Daley, and AA. Jensen and Daley for picks, AA for a young dman.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The more I hear the more I think Nyquist and Howard don't go anywhere. My prediction is wings deal Jensen, Daley, and AA. Jensen and Daley for picks, AA for a young dman.
That's not a bad thing,just keep AA as a winger and let him do his things, and it should be someone with high potential

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Offer sheet seems like something they are really considering.

Holland absolutely says he'd do one. But he also said it would only be if they legitimate thought they could obtain the player. So it's going to be chasing a unicorn. Or maybe Sasquatch. The last successful offer sheet we saw was Dustin Penner in 2007. Before that it was in 1997 with Chris Gratton, which was under different rules. In the last 10 years, there's only been 3 offer sheets even signed, all matched.

So if Ken Holland, perhaps one of the most conservative GMs of the last decade, somehow pulls off the first successful offer sheet in 12 years... I'll eat so many of @Kronwalled55 's hats.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
*Does the math*
*Realizes 2007 really was 12 years ago*
*Feels older than dirt*

Thanks, Bench. I'll just slip on my orthopedic shoes and watch some Matlock now... :yoda: :tvhappy:

Reactions: Bench

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Also, one of the big reasons to offer sheet someone is to give that team some cap hell. If all of Toronto's big players make it to RFA, they are easily going to lose one or two to offer-sheets.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Holland absolutely says he'd do one. But he also said it would only be if they legitimate thought they could obtain the player. So it's going to be chasing a unicorn. Or maybe Sasquatch. The last successful offer sheet we saw was Dustin Penner in 2007. Before that it was in 1997 with Chris Gratton, which was under different rules. In the last 10 years, there's only been 3 offer sheets even signed, all matched.

So if Ken Holland, perhaps one of the most conservative GMs of the last decade, somehow pulls off the first successful offer sheet in 12 years... I'll eat so many of @Kronwalled55 's hats.
If Holland even attempted an offer sheet I'd crap my pants from shock.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Also, one of the big reasons to offer sheet someone is to give that team some cap hell. If all of Toronto's big players make it to RFA, they are easily going to lose one or two to offer-sheets.

Holland wouldn't do that to another manager just to pinch them. He was pretty clear the offer sheet would only be to obtain a player they wanted and thought they could acquire. While I'd love to see our manager try to create poison pill contracts for division foes, that's clearly not going to be his style. Think of how Philly tried to poison pill the Predators with that front-loaded deal to Weber.

The way he talked about it, I'm genuinely curious how the thinks he'll ever get an offer sheet to work. The only modern one that has worked, Penner, was from a spiteful rival that paid way too much and knew the team couldn't clear cap space fast enough to keep him.

Maybe he's just posturing as the nice guy before he bites Toronto in the ankle, but that seems unlikely.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
offer sheets just don't make a ton of sense in general really

anyone young enough to be eligible for one and good enough for some team to make the offer is gonna be someone that a team is gonna wanna keep

the only way to make even a team tight against the cap not just match and figure it out later(via the 10% overage you can have during the offseason,a quick trade whatever) is by making an offer sheet thats so big in compensation picks and salary that they would be stupid to match it in which case the other team would also be stupid for offering it to begin with

about the only time they really make sense is to force a team tight against the cap to shake free a piece that they value less,like when San Jose offer sheeted Hjalmarsson and it forced Chicago to walk away from Niemi's arbitration contract

in a similar vein I could maybe see someone attempting something like offer sheeting Marner to help force a trade of someone like Kapanen

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Just for fun ...

Vanek,nyquist, glendening And cbj’s 5th to predators for fabbro and 2nd 2019 pick

Howard,Daley,witkowski And 2019 3rd round pick to flames for Smith,1st 2019 and kylington

Nick Jensen to Toronto/Tampa for a 2020 2nd round pick

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I hate the word competitive.

Really, hate isn't strong enough of a word. If "competitive" was a physical entity, I would crumple it up, set it on fire, drop a piano on it from 100 feet up, and then nuke it from orbit.

This franchise has ZERO business prioritizing a 2020 playoff appearance. The team simply won't be ready for anything meaningful by then, even if they did shortcut the process by bringing back their UFAs and adding another guy in July.

Do this right, or get outta town and let somebody else do it.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I feel like someone on here argued with me, saying that Holland isn't really trying to make the playoffs next year. Ahem.

Sweet win for you bro! Our GM trying to get the team competitive when you clearly dont want that but said Holland would!

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I hate the word competitive.

Really, hate isn't strong enough of a word. If "competitive" was a physical entity, I would crumple it up, set it on fire, drop a piano on it from 100 feet up, and then nuke it from orbit.

This franchise has ZERO business prioritizing a 2020 playoff appearance. The team simply won't be ready for anything meaningful by then, even if they did shortcut the process by bringing back their UFAs and adding another guy in July.

Do this right, or get outta town and let somebody else do it.

Yeah, we need to miss the Playoffs for at LEAST another 8 years.
By then we will have all the prospect and surly a good team....
I know i don't want my team to be "competitive". That would mean we have guys working hard and playing well, a sure sign of a bad team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad