Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
So our best defender who was signed for 2 years was signed for 1 or 2 too long? Vanek was signed for 1 year too long on a one year deal? Daley who has been solid when healthy was signed for 1 or 2 years too long? Lol. Those are very poor examples you are using for bad Holland deals. You are living in the past. Let it go man.

I said either shouldn't have signed at all or signed for a year or two too long.

Vanek is a guy he signed thinking he could trade at this deadline and it doesn't look like he'll get it done. Moreover, he's already indicated that everyone who he can't trade, he wants to re-sign. So there's a guy he shouldn't have gotten in the first place who may also fall into the year or two too long category when all is said and done.

Green is almost in the same boat. His intent was to trade him. It didn't happen, so he signed him for two more years. Almost made sense.

Daley should have only been signed to an extent where he would still have trade value at the end of his contract, not beyond it. This is a rebuilding team after all. Or supposedly.

I will admit that those are all examples of some of Kenny's best contracts, but that's also what's hilarious and sad.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I like Donato. I'd have traded Nyquist for Donato and a 5th.

As you point out, though, Coyle is still signed for another and very cheaply. I don't think he's on Nyquist's level, but he's not far off. If teams are going to deal a guy like Coyle for that, buyers have no reason to go after Nyquist. This isn't just about what would be a good deal for Nyquist, but that I think Minny sold low on Coyle, undercutting the market for Nyquist.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
want to know why Nyquist won't get a decent return? Because teams like Minny deal Charlie Coyle for a modest prospect and a 5th.

I wouldnt call Donato just a modest prospect. Hes not a top tier, Zadina level guy but hes still a fairly high end, top 6 potential forward. Coyle isnt as good as Nyquist (I know he has an extra year) but thats still a pretty good haul for Minny

Edit: I was thinking of Heinen when I read this. Donato is still probably a little above modest though. Hes 22 already though so I wouldnt have a tonne of interest in him

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Is it for certain Nyquist trade value decreased? Ken Holland's M.O. is to wait the clock out for a last minute desperate offer. I expect this season to be no different.

That's not to say it works this time, but I'd rather keep Nyquist over a crappy 2nd pick that likely won't pan out anyhow.

Reactions: lilidk

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Is it for certain Nyquist trade value decreased? Ken Holland's M.O. is to wait the clock out for a last minute desperate offer. I expect this season to be no different.

That's not to say it works this time, but I'd rather keep Nyquist over a crappy 2nd pick that likely won't pan out anyhow.

I think there are a couple elements at play here. Firstly, Nyquist can veto trade choices himself due to his contract. Secondly, teams want to see what happens with Panarin and Stone, before trading for Nyquist. And thirdly, the impression seems to be that this deadline, there are more players worth firsts than there are teams willing to part from firsts. So we'll see what happens with Nyquist. In a vacuum, Nyquist is obviously worth a first round pick. Will he return that is another question.

Reactions: Sentinel

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think Jensen is as good as gone

Buy now I am not so sure about Nyquist. If we cant get a 1st I feel he will stay and be resigned for 5 more years.

Hopefully if that's the case we move out another body or two from the more unexpected to be traded list, ie vanek, helm, daley, kronwall, Glenny, dekeyser

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
On the 31 Thoughts podcast, Friedman said that Holland will wait as long as possible to get the right deal. I still think someone blows him away with an offer for Jensen prior to Monday, but Gus and Howard will be Monday afternoon decisions.

Also Friedman randomly threw out Helm as someone he wondered about being dealt.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Helm's NTC may be voided at the 2019-20 NHL Trade deadline, if player is not in the Top 9 F in TOI, or if team does not qualify for the playoffs

I think he could get moved to a playoff team needing help on the 3rd line, like Toronto or San Jose.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Helm's NTC may be voided at the 2019-20 NHL Trade deadline, if player is not in the Top 9 F in TOI, or if team does not qualify for the playoffs

I think he could get moved to a playoff team needing help on the 3rd line, like Toronto or San Jose.
We’d almost surely have to retain some significant salary on that one. Which would be on the books for two more years - something I have zero problem with. But that would be a big hurdle in dealing Helm I would think.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I would assume Darren and Kenny share their recreational vehicles.

Right and that's what I'm saying. Helm saw that Jimmy got a brand new ride which is awesome and he thinks that his best friend is going to leave so he wants out but won't say why.

Aka the Full House theory.

Pretty soon, we're going to have Danny DeKeyser eating frozen water sickles and complaining to his dog about how dogs don't have to look skinny in bathing suits and Miss Bertuzzi's haircuts where he'll accidentally cut Athanasiou's hair and he'll be so distraught that he'll get into a motorcycle wreck and he will feel really guilty.

All the while Abby will be on hand and everyone will just want him gone.

And all of this will be resolved on trade deadline day when Blashill sits down Helm for a heartfelt chat that just because Holland is friends with Howard too doesn't mean that he likes Helm any less.

E: And yes, I did watch way too much Full House growing up. Damn TGIF and your family-friendly television in the late 80s-early 1990s.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
We’d almost surely have to retain some significant salary on that one. Which would be on the books for two more years - something I have zero problem with. But that would be a big hurdle in dealing Helm I would think.

Helm's contract is honestly not that bad. It's like right in that zone where if you are signing them, it's on the higher end of what you want to pay him, but it's not unreasonable. But on the opposite side, you look at it as a buyer and think that he would be nice to add, but for the cost you take on, and the price you will have to pay, you just aren't all that interested.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think Jensen is as good as gone

Buy now I am not so sure about Nyquist. If we cant get a 1st I feel he will stay and be resigned for 5 more years.

Hopefully if that's the case we move out another body or two from the more unexpected to be traded list, ie vanek, helm, daley, kronwall, Glenny, dekeyser

Not sure if many caught it but at the intermission last night, Bob Mackenzie basically said Jensen is as good as gone. He said theyve talked about contracts but at this point hes pretty much for sure getting traded.

If that ever happened, Helm might kick Holland's dog and piss on his lawn.

Last year at the trade deadline Boston was looking at Helm I remember. Some teams would have interest and this year hes got less time left on his contract. Boston wanted Detroit to take back Belesky though which was a no go last year. Helm has more value around the leaue than some people think, I think.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
At this point I've lost all hope of trading Jimmy, he has a .893 sv% in 2019.

Quite simply he has logged too many minutes. Howard is due to break down any game. He started 60 games last season, something he hadn't done since age 26 way back in 10/11. He's on pace for the upper 50s. He cannot sustain that workload. The AS nod was a terrible selection for his durability. Any GM out there worth his salt has to know this guy is due for IR.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yah I agree, Howard is not gonna get moved.

He cant sustain high level goaltending for an entire season.

He either gets hurt of his play falls off from where it was.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Vegas would be a perfect fit for Howard. Let him give Flower more breaks heading into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad