Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Lucic's contract is the worst in history that wasn't caused by Paul Holmgren (Farmer, Weber).

I was thinking about exactly where the AMac extension ranks for Homer. I would put it a little higher, but I think I could make an argument it’s only the 5th worst contract he handed out without even considering trades. It’s terrifying to think he still has fans.

That’s also without including offers players turned down.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's just nothing that would make sense for both the Oilers and the team to whom they could send Lucic to get a trade done. Either the other team would laugh and hang up or the Oilers would be gutting their own barren cupboard. Lucic has an NMC for the entirety of his remaining 4 (!) years plus a modified NTC for the last 2, plus most of his salary is paid as bonus.

The thing is practically buyout proof because of all those signing bonuses too. So like I said I don’t think there’s a team sticking him in the press box or in the minors with that price tag. So you’re playing the guy too.

Reactions: BernieParent

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I was thinking about exactly where the AMac extension ranks for Homer. I would put it a little higher, but I think I could make an argument it’s only the 5th worst contract he handed out without even considering trades. It’s terrifying to think he still has fans.

That’s also without including offers players turned down.

Weber
Bryzgalov
Lecavalier?
Grossmann?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Carter & Richards’ contracts made them more valuable at the time. Carter’s should never really be a problem at this point since the caphit is pretty manageable.
$5.2 million is manageable but $6 million is so outrageous there is nothing they could give us to take the contract? :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Carter is not a dead cap hit. You're pretty bad at this. :laugh:

Yeah I don’t see how that is comparable. I never even implied in my post we should acquire Carter.

I was saying/implying that the contract likely won’t be a problem for LA at this point. They already got their value out of it especially since they weren’t the team trading Voracek & the 8th overall pick for him.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Lecavalier
Pronger 35+ 7 year fiasco

Right before Homer signed Lecavalier, I called for him to be fired if he did so. Almost no one here agreed with me. They were practically dancing in the streets on here at the signing. It was awful. :(

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
Right before Homer signed Lecavalier, I called for him to be fired if he did so. Almost no one here agreed with me. They were practically dancing in the streets on here at the signing. It was awful. :(

Sneaky worst part of that deal, at least for me, was not seeing Briere finish out his career here. Especially considering that Briere and Lecavalier's production after that point was a complete wash so I much would have kept Briere for 2 more years. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I did feel it was a short sighted move when back end of the team was patchwork at best at the time.

I must say though, had Pronger stayed healthy, things might have turned out quite differently. For one, we wouldn't have had to go with band-aid solutions like Grossmann and MacDonald. I don't even think we make that Luke Schenn deal had Pronger been healthy. So in that sense, the success or failure of Homer's tenure was defined in large amount by the consequences of Pronger injury.

Ugh, enough about the depressing what-could-have-beens.... Back to the present, I wouldn't be surprised to learn later that Fletch and the org. is trying to do a solid for Simmer and send him to a contender regardless of his modified NTC. Perhaps other deals need to happen to set the market but we might not be getting offered as much for Simmer as we think. At that point, Fletch might just consider Simmer our own rental player since we look like we are in the hunt still.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Didn't he admit that he didn't understand the 35+ rule when he did that?

Holmgren not understanding rules? There's a shocker. I was saying he couldn't sign Hyka as an undrafted FA and he wasn't eligible just because the fantasy sim league I was in had rules in place that were a copy of the NHL CBA (which Homer didn't understand apparently)

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
Jeff Carter only has 3 more years left on the deal he signed with Homer 8 years ago. LMAO

I don't hate the Jeff Carter deal that much. Considering his production, you could argue he was underpaid over half of the life of that deal. Kings are terrible so it looks bad for him but on a better team, it wouldn't be a surprise to pencil him in as a 40 pts a yr guy. So he is overpaid a little bit now but considering how sound he is defensively and still a decent skater, his deal will age whole lot better than say, Lehtera's.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't dislike Carter or his contract, just am amused at the absurdity of it. The only ones who are bitter are CBJ fans I think, who lost the Jeff Carter trade twice.

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sneaky worst part of that deal, at least for me, was not seeing Briere finish out his career here. Especially considering that Briere and Lecavalier's production after that point was a complete wash so I much would have kept Briere for 2 more years. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I did feel it was a short sighted move when back end of the team was patchwork at best at the time.

I must say though, had Pronger stayed healthy, things might have turned out quite differently. For one, we wouldn't have had to go with band-aid solutions like Grossmann and MacDonald. I don't even think we make that Luke Schenn deal had Pronger been healthy. So in that sense, the success or failure of Homer's tenure was defined in large amount by the consequences of Pronger injury.

Ugh, enough about the depressing what-could-have-beens.... Back to the present, I wouldn't be surprised to learn later that Fletch and the org. is trying to do a solid for Simmer and send him to a contender regardless of his modified NTC. Perhaps other deals need to happen to set the market but we might not be getting offered as much for Simmer as we think. At that point, Fletch might just consider Simmer our own rental player since we look like we are in the hunt still.

Not even Pronger could have fixed Bryz; I think we still see an influx of meatshields if Pronger doesn't go down...especially since he was slowing down rapidly. Homer's go-to move when Bryz failed was to pursue that type of dman. Main difference is that we probably see one or two fewer I guess.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Pronger injury screwed the team for years. Holmgren may have added to the D but it wouldn't have been full-fledged panic. It was Pronger being gone AND Meszaros going down that led to the never-ending run of Grossmann/Kubina/Liljas.

1. Pronger
2. Timonen
3. Coburn
4. Carle
5. Meszaros
6. Gustafson
7. Bourdon

is a fine group. Even after adding a Grossmann, it's fine.

You move everyone up one and all of a sudden Coburn is playing 27 minutes a game in the playoffs. That leads to OMG MUST GET LUKE SCHENN and OMG MUST DRAFT SAM MORIN and then OMG MUST HAVE VETERAN ANDY MACDONALD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia